Question are Mad Dog badged NEC

vbimport

I hope this question is not a repaet, but I have to ask. If it is, please post the applicalbe thread. I am a Newbie to firmware flashing, but not to DVD Recorders. I recently purchased the Mad Dog ND-2500A DVD recorder. It came with firmware identified as 1.06. I have looked all over the internet, and there are several firmwares listed. I have seen different threads posted on several web-sites stating the firmware will do this and that, but always different between the web-sites. I need to know what firmware will work well with my DVD recorder. Can someone please answer the following:

1. Since I have a Mad Dog (manufacturer) NEC ND-2500A with firmware 1.06, what is the latest “official” firmware I can upgrade to?
  2. I read on another web-site I can use a patched firmware to write 4X DVD+ or - @ 8X speed. Which firmware is the one for that? Will it work on my Mad Dog version?
  3. Which firmware is used to do double layering? If I upgrade to this firmware, can I do regular single layer DVD recording?

I would appreciate any help.

Forget Maddog completely. Your drive is an NEC and all NEC firmwares will function properly on your drive.
All your questions can be answered by reading the READ FIRST: threads.

I am considering buying a Mad Dog 8X burner on sale at Office Max for $49 after rebates. I have read that it is a rebadged NEC 2500. Can it record at 8X on 4X media without hacking the firmware? If so, is it possible with Cyberpower DVD Power Producer?

You can get a media list here to see which 4x media can officially be burned @8x.
It doesn’t depend on the burning application you’re using, only on the drives’ firmware!

Thanks for the information

There’s a thread where a user posts all the possible speeds for different media with the different firmware.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=96140

While NEC provides a list on their site, it doesn’t list by the media ID code which can make it more confusing trying to figure out if your 4x media really should be writing at 8x.

The thread linked above has lots of information, but it can be quite helpful. :slight_smile:

Also, if the drive has 8x capability for your 4x media, it should be able to be written at 8x in any software program.

since the firmware hacks also unlock ripping speed and allow bitsetting i am not sure why you would want to stick with the normal firmware. i hope you know also that you CAN flash back to the normal just as easy as flashing the hacked firmware.

and yes the drive is an NEC 2500

Again, thanks for the info

Hi, I saw that this forum has so many firmware for 2500a. Currently, I have maddog dvdrw, which is exactly the same as nec 2500a, with firmware 1.06. Now, I have heard that herrie’s firmware is good. My question is that if I flashed to herrie’s 1.07 firmware, would I be able to flash it back if something goes wrong?

Also, there are 2 herrie’s firmware, the one allows to DL, the ones do not. Since it is not 100% proven that all 2500a will be able to convert to 2510a. I wonder is there a way to tell for sure? If not, I wonder if I flashed to 2510a and my drive does not support, does that make my drive useless or would I be able to flash back to original or other firmwares?

Thanks for all the rplies.

YES

Also, there are 2 herrie’s firmware, the one allows to DL, the ones do not. Since it is not 100% proven that all 2500a will be able to convert to 2510a.

yes it is proven…

I wonder is there a way to tell for sure? If not, I wonder if I flashed to 2510a and my drive does not support, does that make my drive useless or would I be able to flash back to original or other firmwares?

Thanks for all the rplies.
yes you will

thanks for your reply.
Well, it’s good that I know that I can flash back if something goes wrong.

Well, as far as DL, I know not all drive are capable of flashing to DL, I wonder is there a way to tell if your drive will work for sure before I try to flash?
What if my drive did not support DL but when I flash with the firmware, will that ruin my drive?

Thanks a lot guys.

as far as i know they all are

I wonder is there a way to tell if your drive will work for sure before I try to flash?

the hardware for the 2500 and 2510 is the same so there is not much of a reason for it not to work.

What if my drive did not support DL but when I flash with the firmware, will that ruin my drive?

as soon as you flash with a non-oem firmware you are out of warranty so do not try and return it no matter what happens. that said since it is the SAME hardware it is unlikely. others who have flashed with this firm might have more info… for me 1.07v2b4 is the shiz of course i don’t have any DL media to burn…

there’s a coupon you can print out to knock off $10 off the price to bring it down to $40 after rebate, and coupon. but you still have to add tax. not bad considering a dvd-rom is ~$30. you pay tax but you don’t pay shipping. i’m going to buy myself one tomorrow.

where is the coupon?

the drive is going back on sale at OM the 23rd and 24th for 49.99 again but if you have a $10 off coupon i might have to buy another one :slight_smile:

I know about the flash. I too was thinking of just flashing to the 1.07vb4 so it will burn 4x at 8x speed. No need for DL yet as the disc are still hard to find. I am just curious to as to what to flash because there are so many out there and also, read so many posts that it makes a bit afraid that the new drive that I just got and if I mess it up, I am doomed. I guess for now 1.07v2b4 is the one. Thanks guys. If anyone has other info on DL, please post.