Question About UpScaling-Capable DVD Players

Technically, my three-or-so-year-old Toshiba projector isn’t quite high def, but it’s awfully close when you watch an HD program off of cable TV using a component connection. The projector doesn’t have an HDMI input.

For my home theater, I have my eye on the Sony DVP-NS77H DVD player because of its upscaling capability and reasonable price. But I noticed in the ads for this unit that upscaling always is mentioned in conjunction with an HDMI connection.

My question is: Will Sony’s DVP-NS77H upscaling feature work with a component connection, or is an HDMI connection needed?

If the answer is that it needs an HDMI connection, are there any other upscaling-capable DVD players out there that will work using a component connection, or am I simply out of luck?

Thanks for the help! Bill

The general rule with most players is that they will not upscale DVD’s that are CSS encrypted EXCEPT through HDMI. There are exceptions in both directions, and some that can be hacked or tricked. Unfortunately, this information is usually only available in the fine print in the manual, or not at all. I’d suggest to go visit http://www.avsforum.com/ and read up on the players. Of course, if you’re playing a copy of a movie (not CSS encrypted), you’re fine with many players.

You need to specify what resolution your monitor will accept, and whether it’s progressive or interlaced. Will it even accept an upscaled image?

Putting that question aside. The generally accepted machines that do upscaling the best are the OPPO players and the HD-DVD players from Toshiba. You can have a new Toshiba HD player for $200 with anywhere from 7 to 10 free HD movies in the bargain. That makes it cheaper than the Sony.

In the technical details listed here: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVP-NS77H-Upscaling-Player-Output/dp/B000SDNMHW

it says:
720p/1080p Upscaling Video Output through HDMI Output

the thing to note is what it doesn’t list, and that is any kind of upscaling through the component outputs. Most upscaling DVD players will only upscale through the HDMI (there are a few that will upscale the component output but they are pretty rare) which means most likely the best output you’re going to get is 480p (aka progressive).

I have a Pioneer DV-400v that is the same way… 480p is the best I get because my Gateway plasma doesn’t have HDMI or high-res capable DVI.

Does your TV have an HDCP-capable DVI input? If so you can buy a cable to convert from HDMI to DVI for cheap, and that will pass the upscaled image. HDCP is the key though… if your TV is not compliant it’s very likely that the DVD player will refuse to output anything to it.

[QUOTE=CDan;1927427]

Putting that question aside. The generally accepted machines that do upscaling the best are the OPPO players and the HD-DVD players from Toshiba. You can have a new Toshiba HD player for $200 with anywhere from 7 to 10 free HD movies in the bargain. That makes it cheaper than the Sony.[/QUOTE]

Neither the Oppo or the Toshiba will upscale through anything but HDMI though…

Thanks, folks. After posting my message, I went online, looked at the user’s manual for the Sony DVP-NS77H player, and reached the same conclusion mentioned by you all, that it won’t work without HDMI.

I went to Circuit City and bought it for $89 anyhow, because eventually we’ll be getting a flat screen TV that will have HDMI. Meanwhile, the projector will just have to get by with component connections. I have a second DVD player for that unit.

Bill

If you’re looking for compatibility (XviD and such) you want a player with Mediatek chipset which the Sony doesnt have (Oppo players have though).
//Danne

[QUOTE=slinko;1927433]Neither the Oppo or the Toshiba will upscale through anything but HDMI though…[/QUOTE]

Not true with the Toshiba HD. It will, it just needs some “coaxing”.

[QUOTE=CDan;1927589]Not true with the Toshiba HD. It will, it just needs some “coaxing”.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. I only know the official specs with this player because I never even looked at it until it was on sale for $100.

[QUOTE=slinko;1927719]Ah, I see. I only know the official specs with this player because I never even looked at it until it was on sale for $100.[/QUOTE]

The Toshibas output 1080i images through both component and HDMI simultaneously, but only on HD-DVD and on non CSS-encrypted DVD. Can’t say that they do if only component is connected, probably 480i.