Question about uploading an MP3 in 128K and 192K

What is the difference when you upload an MP3 in 128K or 192K format. I have songs on my CD’s that I want to make louder so I can hear them better on my MP3 Player and I am editing them with a program I have. What is the difference if I save them in 128K or 192K? Is there any at all?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

128K and 192K are bitrates, (basically how much of the music is thrown away when encoding, lower numbers lose more) and have no effect on volume. Normalizing is the process of, well ‘Normalizing’ or making the volume of one song close to another. Your ripping program probably has a normalizing option or a program called MP3 Gain can be used on already encoded songs.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;1945766]128K and 192K are bitrates, (basically how much of the music is thrown away when encoding, lower numbers lose more) and have no effect on volume. Normalizing is the process of, well ‘Normalizing’ or making the volume of one song close to another. Your ripping program probably has a normalizing option or a program called MP3 Gain can be used on already encoded songs.[/QUOTE]

Where can I find that program at. :slight_smile:

‘Search’ is good. So is ‘Google’…That’s what I’d have to do…

But my question is, which is better 128K or 192K?

192K is good, VBR is even better assuming you have access to uncompressed original source material. If a file is already compressed then whatever format it is currently in is the best it will ever be.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;1947067]192K is good, VBR is even better assuming you have access to uncompressed original source material. If a file is already compressed then whatever format it is currently in is the best it will ever be.[/QUOTE]

I have been using 128K is that ok?

[QUOTE=Mattcharles;1966622]I have been using 128K is that ok?[/QUOTE]

OK??

You decide.
Normally the hight the bitate the better the quality, also VBR is preferred over CBR.

Ok bitrates depend on your ears, the material and the listening conditions.

Resources:
http://ff123.net/cbr128.html - 128k encoding, may be a little outdated
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Technical_data_for_recommended_LAME_settings#Technical_information

In order of quality, at a specified bitrate:
CBR is lowest, but guarantees an exavct bitrate at all times.
ABR is next, averaging the bitrate and borrowing from easier parts to encode complex parts more accurately.
VBR targets a quality level, not a bitrate, but choosing a VBR setting which gives approximately the required bitrate should deliver the best quality.

If the player is not just an MP3 though, both WMA and OGG are far superior to MP3 at the same bitrate, but do not transcode lossy to lossy encoding, as losses will be compounded.

[QUOTE=Matth;1966876]Ok bitrates depend on your ears, the material and the listening conditions.

Resources:
http://ff123.net/cbr128.html - 128k encoding, may be a little outdated
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Technical_data_for_recommended_LAME_settings#Technical_information

In order of quality, at a specified bitrate:
CBR is lowest, but guarantees an exavct bitrate at all times.
ABR is next, averaging the bitrate and borrowing from easier parts to encode complex parts more accurately.
VBR targets a quality level, not a bitrate, but choosing a VBR setting which gives approximately the required bitrate should deliver the best quality.

If the player is not just an MP3 though, both WMA and OGG are far superior to MP3 at the same bitrate, but do not transcode lossy to lossy encoding, as losses will be compounded.[/QUOTE]

im lost lol.

The difference between 128k and 192k is that in the highest bitrate (192k in this case), the frecuency is not that cut so the quality is a bit better (you can check this difference with some software for edit audio e.g. Adobe Audition in spectral view mode), but MP3 is lossy so if you want 100% original sound, I recommend lossless compression as FLAC, SHN, etc.