Question about TV

vbimport

Is there a way to get TV without having to go through a provider like Charter, DirecTV, etc?

I have heard you can get digital broadcast signals for free. What equipment do I need to do this?

Also, how do I know if my tv has a digital tuner in it?

Could I use my WDTV Live for this?

As each year passes more and more content is available through the Internet. There are many sources availabe to obtain TV broadcasts. :wink: Also, local channels are available via over-their-air broadcast.

Can I capture over the air broadcasts with my WDTV Live? Do I need to buy some kind of a USB dongle in order to do that?

Your WD TV Live does not include a digital tuner for over the air transmissions.

Tell us the make and model tv that you have and it should be easy to see if it has a digital tuner from online information.

You’ll need an aerial (tv antenna) of some sort to receive over the air tv. Which type you get depends entirely on the strength of the signals in your area. http://www.antennaweb.org/Info/AntennaInfo.aspx

Location signal strength finder:
http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

Thanks Kerry that basically answers my question. I was just searching around for some information for my parents as they are dropping Charter because Charter is raising our prices again. Trouble is, other television services in our area don’t seem to be much lower priced.

My buddy has had good experiences with AT&T U-Verse, but it isn’t available in our area.

A little off-topic, but any of you guys used that Direct TV? (Satellite)

Basically your OTA is the local stations available in your area .

I suspect your TV has a digital tuner but if it doesn’t the converter boxes work.
My computer room TV is a CRT with an analog tuner & converter box. It works with just a set of old rabbit ears. The converter box is an RCA .It is better than the Artec or Dish (TR40) I also tried.

For my main TV a 46" Sharp Aquos which has a digital tuner .As do the Magnavox DVR s I have connected to it. So it can receive OTA from either.

I do have a good amplified indoor antenna connected to it.
I recommend this model:
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=SS3000

It works well for me anyway . The local channels that come in on the Dish satellite receiver are SD. The OTA are HD so I usually receive them OTA.

I have Dish satellite instead of Direct over all I’m satisfied with it.
Right now it is $44.21 total per month.
I don’t have their internet but I believe bundled it would be $50.00 extra per month.

[QUOTE=cholla;2679929]Basically your OTA is the local stations available in your area .

I suspect your TV has a digital tuner but if it doesn’t the converter boxes work.
My computer room TV is a CRT with an analog tuner & converter box. It works with just a set of old rabbit ears. The converter box is an RCA .It is better than the Artec or Dish (TR40) I also tried.

For my main TV a 46" Sharp Aquos which has a digital tuner .As do the Magnavox DVR s I have connected to it. So it can receive OTA from either.

I do have a good amplified indoor antenna connected to it.
I recommend this model:
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=SS3000

It works well for me anyway . The local channels that come in on the Dish satellite receiver are SD. The OTA are HD so I usually receive them OTA.

I have Dish satellite instead of Direct over all I’m satisfied with it.
Right now it is $44.21 total per month.
I don’t have their internet but I believe bundled it would be $50.00 extra per month.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cholla. Yeah see, we would need internet with it as well and so far all the services that we’ve looked at which offer both, want to charge us all about the same price and it’s just getting too expensive. I tried to tell my parents to just drop TV all together and just buy internet, but they want to be able to watch football, basketball and the local stations.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2679905]Thanks Kerry that basically answers my question. I was just searching around for some information for my parents as they are dropping Charter because Charter is raising our prices again. Trouble is, other television services in our area don’t seem to be much lower priced.

My buddy has had good experiences with AT&T U-Verse, but it isn’t available in our area.

A little off-topic, but any of you guys used that Direct TV? (Satellite)[/QUOTE]

Hi hogger, I use DTV, I find it satisfactory, as cable is way expensive, they have multiple tiers to work with, from basic to through the roof.

@ hogger129 , I think the Dish TV package I have is supposed to be $49.99 but I negotiated & got $5.00 off . I’ve had Dish since 2001 though so I guess they wanted to keep me as a customer. I had it even lower but when I had to finally get a new receiver to get HD it went up to what it is now.
Sometimes as a new customer you can even get a better deal.

For Internet I use AT&T . In my area it is only available at a low speed
" up to 768K" . However when I had a problem AT&Ts fault . Bad switch in
their box . The tech not knowing I had tried to get higher speed & been told it wasn’t available. Told me the box was optical fiber & only 1/2 mile from me. He said I should be able to get AT&Ts top speed if I wanted it.
I called again & got the same low speed only answer. So that let me know [B]AT&T lies to customers[/B] when it wants to. My only guess for why they would do that is they think my area would use too much bandwidth . Saving it for “better” customers.
This combination is the least expensive I have found . Other than dial-up & just OTA TV.

I don’t know what the service elsewhere in the world is like but satellite TV in the UK is superb.

Currently we have access to 66 dedicated HD channels and 600+ SD channels.

My wife has a cousin that lives in the US and he couldn’t believe how good it was compared to what he has at home.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2680033]I don’t know what the service elsewhere in the world is like but satellite TV in the UK is superb.

Currently we have access to 66 dedicated HD channels and 600+ SD channels.

My wife has a cousin that lives in the US and he couldn’t believe how good it was compared to what he has at home.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Gotcha beat Wombler, I have access to 185 HD channels and don’t know how many SD.

And damn if there still isn’t any thing on with all of that.

[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2680078] And damn if there still isn’t any thing on with all of that.[/QUOTE]
Same here.

I’m on a smaller package than either of you . I “lock” out all the ones that have SD & HD keeping only the HD. That way I have fewer to scan with the EPG .

I’m being Nosey & either of you can tell me it’s none of my business with no offense. How much do you pay per month ?

I pay about $90.00 per month, but then I have 3 HD DVR’s and whole home setup, I believe I have the mid tier package.

I just caught DTV trying to add some extra charges which totaled around $8.00 some thing to do with regional sports channel, so you have to watch these clowns our they will pad your bill.

[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2680078]Gotcha beat Wombler, I have access to 185 HD channels and don’t know how many SD.

And damn if there still isn’t any thing on with all of that.[/QUOTE]

That’s always the problem although at least you’ve a better chance of finding something decent on with more channels. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]