Question about the Leadin/Leadout with CloneDVD

Hey Ollie, if you remember a post I put up sometime ago talking about a problem with the 708A, INTEL motherboard and CloneDVD(http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=100566). I was thinking that the 708A was only writing @ 6X at most, I don’t believe that to be the issue anymore.

I have read some reviews that has made me wonder about the burn times again, I came across a review that shows the same drive in the same PC, but with different burn times with different media(http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=713775&postcount=55).

I spoke about this in the Plextor forum and I gotten a response about the difference can be the Leadin/Leadout times. The reason I am bringing this back up, since I have switched drive’s to different computer’s I have noticed something about the burn times, of course I switched back and forth to verify what I am about to say, I noticed that the 708A is not burning @ 6X with CloneDVD or that the 712A is burning slower then 12X with CloneDVD but the leadin/leadout seems to be taking up a lot of time on the INTEL motherboard. Testing both drives on the INTEL board, they both showed burn times of 1min longer then with the NForce board set @ max speed(or the set to top speed of that drive 8X or the 12X).

I guess my question is, Do you know why this leadin/leadout with the INTEL and CloneDVD is causing this slowdown or how I can maybe fix it?

BTW, I have a friend who has a question also, he would like to know, if the sound is compressed as well, he is not concerned with the quality bar just would like to know, he is comparing .wav to MP3 and is wondering if you are doing something similar

No, sound is either removed or left untouched by CloneDVD. :wink:

ET

Yes I did get a e-mail, I hope it’s ok to quote…

Concerning your friend’s question: Although this is possible - we have already
compressed AC3 soundtracks without any
quality lost - CloneDVD does not touch the sound during the encoding process due
to license issue. Otherwise we have to
pay fees to Dolby, who owns the patents for AC3, Dolby Digital …, which will
related in an increased price for our
product. Therefore we decided not to do so, in order to keep the price low for
our customers, as these (more) costs do
not justify the use of just saving some storage capacity. This is just not
significant enough in comparison to
compressing video files.

Thanks HAMP, interesting stuff. :slight_smile:

Regards,

ET