Question about TDK DVD-R (and +R) 8x (white labels)

I posted this in another thread but I think it went unoticed, so I’m making this clearer by posting in a thread that has an appropriate title…

My dad just came home with two DVD-R spindles of these… Should I ask him to return them for DVD+R or keep the -R? I only use my DVD’s to store data on them (data which I don’t want to lose in 1 year) so if the +R are better, I’d go ahead and exchange them. I just might start burning movies though, since I can get a ton of these if they are really worth getting at this price.

Some people said that the -R are TTG02 and the +R are CMC MAG-E01-000, whatever this means.

I haven’t opened them yet, as I’m not sure if I will be keeping them. The package says they are made in Taiwan, and I think I’ve read somewhere on here that the TDK made in Taiwan aren’t very good. I’m not sure what “not good” means around here ; will they die in a week? will they all turn to coasters? will they last me 7 years instead of 250 with Taiyo Yuden? :wink:

Also, FYI, I have a GSA-4160B. So far not one coaster burning BenQ DVD+R 8X. (Only burnt 50 discs though…)

i thought TY were made in japan. at least mine say so. as fas -R or +R i think if thier going to be used for data it sholuld not matter. but if your goin to used them for movies. then that would depend on your dvd player some like mine will only play -R.

I’m not talking about TY, these are TDK (Made in Taiwan)… Maybe you’ve misread something.

As for the + or - R, then I guess I’m going to stick with the -R…

Any other opinion is welcomed though!

The made in taiwan ones are good media. Not as good as TY or Maxell, but much better than ritek and prodisc. You will not be dissapointed with them. The +r which are CMC will probably be not very good though. The TTG02 media code used to be very good, now it is much better than average.

Would it be better to burn the DVD-R at 8x or 4x, quality-wise…?

I just burnt one of them at 8X with 4.37GB of data. Here’s a shot of the test I ran with Nero CD-DVD Speed :

Can anyone tell me how to interpret this and if this is good?

Bump …

Is the result in the previous post good, and would I get better ones if I burned at 4X (rather than 8X)?

^That’s quite a decent readback scan. What’s the MID on the discs?

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TTG02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [TDK Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [TTG02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

What he said! :slight_smile:

TTG02 seem to be fine. Stick with them.