Question about Taiyo Yuden CDR compatibility with certain drives

My Sony CRX-320 drive has always had a problem recognizing the newer (in the last 2 years) batches of TY CDs. Sometimes I have to try 4 or 5 times before it will finalize recognize it, but once it does, it’s fine. It has no problem with the older TY (gold CDR-74ZY) discs.

My question is this: If a drive has a problem recognizing TY CDRs, does that mean that it won’t do a good job burning them? When I put in a blank TY, it always burns and verifies with no problem, but when I put it back in after the burn, it doesn’t recognize it, or it takes a LONG time to recognize it. By the way, these CDRs play fine in all of my other units.

What is it on the disc that the drive needs to see in order to recognize it, because it seems that once it gets past that “hurdle,” everything is fine!

Hmm got any other drives in your computer to test the burn on? If they recognise fast, then perhaps everything is fine but if they also have trouble, the burn may be bad. What other drives do you have on your system?

None of my LiteOns can (at all) read Watershield TY’s. Any other drive i have tried reads them perfectly and they play well on any cd player across the country…? :slight_smile:

[quote=CJ2;1927752]None of my LiteOns can (at all) read Watershield TY’s. Any other drive i have tried reads them perfectly and they play well on any cd player across the country…? :)[/quote] Are you by any chance burning the CD-Rs with GigaRec or AMQR enabled?

All the other drives/players in my house recognize the TYs right away. It’s only the Sony that has trouble. Maybe it’s just something I can live with. After all, it does recognize them after a couple of tries.

Nope - it’s like the LiteOns have an issue with the surface. It doesn’t matter what drive i used for writing. Which is a bit strange since they read other Taiyo Yuden cdr’s fine??

And … now i just wanted to test and the 165P6SX reads a Watershield just fine.:doh::confused: I swear i was about to buy a Plextor just to check my audio cd’s for jitter… I actually bought the 810 but it ended up worthless for that purpose :wink:

Regardless i could still use a more critical cd reader :wink:

[QUOTE=CJ2;1928247]I swear i was about to buy a Plextor just to check my audio cd’s for jitter… I actually bought the 810 but it ended up worthless for that purpose :wink:

Regardless i could still use a more critical cd reader ;)[/QUOTE]I wish you had a Plextor Premium to test. That’s very nice C1 error count :iagree:

[QUOTE=rolling56;1928274]I wish you had a Plextor Premium to test. That’s very nice C1 error count :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Actually, he did that quality scan on a Lite-On DVD burner. Lite-On DVD burners are notorious for reporting wildly unreliable results when scanning CD media, often severely underreporting the number of total errors (especially C1 errors) on the disc.

[quote=CJ2;1928247]Regardless i could still use a more critical cd reader ;)[/quote] [quote=rolling56;1928274]I wish you had a Plextor Premium to test. That’s very nice C1 error count :iagree:[/quote] The LiteOn SHM-165P6SX and all other LiteOn DVD burners from the 20A1 series back to the 5S series only report C1=E31 instead of C1=BLER=E11+E21+E31 as a correctly reporting drive would.

In other words, these LiteOn DVD burners only report C1 failures as C1 instead of all C1 errors. This means that it’s possible (but not easy) to get a scan showing zero C1; I have a couple of such zero E31 scans with Taiyo Yuden CD-R media.

Newer LiteOn DVD burners (20A3 and 20A4 series), older LiteOn DVD burners (1S, 2S and 3S series) as well as other MediaTek based DVD burners such as the Samsung SH-S203B probably also only report C1=E31, but since I don’t have these drives myself I’m not 100% sure.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1928299]The LiteOn SHM-165P6SX and all other LiteOn DVD burners from the 20A1 series back to the 5S only report C1=E31 instead of C1=BLER=E11+E21+E31 as a correctly reporting drive would.

In other words, these LiteOn DVD burners only report C1 failures as C1 instead of all C1 errors. This means that it’s possible (but not easy) to get a scan showing zero C1; I have a couple of such zero E31 scans with Taiyo Yuden CD-R media.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Very true. I just did not get into more detail in my previous post.

yeah i keep forgetting and i’m not getting any younger :doh:

Ontopic.
Maybe it’s caused by the film Dolphinius.Rex has noticed on some of the newer TY disc. :confused:

[QUOTE=dakhaas;1928326]Ontopic.
Maybe it’s caused by the film Dolphinius.Rex has noticed on some of the newer TY disc. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Could be - I’ve only noticed problems in the last year or two.