Question about prehistoric hardware :)

vbimport

I have this old 468 machine (DX-50) that I’m reinstalling so my dad can play his retro games. There’s one problem though: to get my CDROM to work, I have to figure out at what I/O adress the interface card is running. I know there are software tools to do so, but I don’t recall any names… :frowning:

Who can help me?

Oh btw… the system doesn’t support PnP. Neither does the interface card. But, as the interface card doesn’t read any brand or type, I can’t figure out how to set the unnamed jumpers on the card.
Even the (important) chips on that card are blank. Must have been cheap back in 94…

You could start by telling us what kind of cdrom it is. Any info on the card can help. Pictures would be even better.

wasnt most default drivers set the cd-rom to like 220h or something like that

@stonent: it doesn’t matter what CDROM it is, since the interface card that came with it doesn’t really belong to the drive. I know it worked in the PC it came from, but the documentation of the card is lost…

@xtacydima: I believe it was 320… but I tried all adresses from 200 to 400 and they all didn’t work (so it has to be another one)

Interface card --> Sound Card?
//Danne

No it’s not a soundcard. Hooking this CDROM up to the soundcard’s IDE controller makes the system crash…

These cards were sold as interface cards back then… I guess they are just plain E-IDE controllers that can handle ATAPI devices. Standard ISA HDD/FDD controller cards couldn’t do that back then.
The card is also equipped with a socket to fit the analog audio cable from the CDROM. It has a stereo output.

If they’re plain E-IDE controllers you don’t need any drivers (at least mine didn’t which was back in 92-93) and you’re most likely looking at a custom interface btw. Many Sound Blaster models features these proprietary interfaces. As for I/O address it’s not 220h, that address is/was used (99% of the times) for sound cards. May I ask what drive it is? Brand and model may be helpful in this case.
//Danne

I doubt if it’s a custom inferface as the interface card also supports floppy drives and hdd’s. Seems like it is a simple controller card (without com/lpt ports) with the additional CDROM audio feature.

I/O address 220 is used by the Soundblaster card in the system (SB16). That was indeed the stardard setting for those cards.

The drive: Aztech CDA 268-01A IDE (2x). Yes, that’s strange: hooking an IDE CDROM up to an IDE controller makes the system crash.

Oh btw… my SB16 only has the IDE/ATAPI interface. The print does have holes for Panasonic/Creative CDROM drives, but there aren’t any pins soldered in. On the other hand, this Aztech drive should be a regular IDE one, despite of the controller card that came with it (makes sense as the card/CDROM came from a 386 and those didn’t support >508MB fs).

A plain CD-ROM drive will work fine unless the mainboard is crap, it does work fine on my parents old IBM 486DX266 (formely DX33). A new cd-rom is like 10 bucks anyways.
//Danne

This is an old 468 without an onboard IDE controller; it requires an additional controller card (that one’s working fine btw).

10 bucks is more than that entire computer is worth :slight_smile:

Get another 486/Pentium comp that works, it’s not really possible to give any hints since there are quite a numbers of solutions available and the description “interface card” isn’t really helpful (no offence). You’re best luck is to try a CDROM driver and cross your fingers.
http://www.treiberupdate.de/treiber-download/z-dltreiber/download_treiber.php?load=13262
//Danne

Well it’s the best I can do to describe this card… as I said, there isn’t any information on the card, so I’m walking blind here… :frowning:

The whole problem is that the Aztech driver (I have that driver) requires the I/O address of the controller the drive is hooked on, and that’s what I need to find out. I know there are tools that can read this information (I had those tools back in those days) but I can’t recall what tools those were…

I already tried a generic driver (banana) but that does not work.

Thanks for the troubles though :slight_smile:

It’s four different addresses, how hard it to try them all?
//Danne

What addresses may that be? There aren’t any adresses printed on the card (it has jumpers, but no addresses are printed). I already tried a whole bunch (200h up to 400h) without getting lucky.

It’s usually around 300h-340h using jumps by 10, i.e 310, 320, 330 and so on.
Just feed config.sys with a buch of address and cross your fingers if it doesn’t work you probably need a driver for the card too.
//Danne

Can you either post pictures of the CD drive label or the interface card? These things can really help (and sometimes a model number silkscreened on the card is all it takes for a forum member to help you figure it out). Diz is right on the ports, usually they’re 300-340H.

I tried the 300/340h range. This is the default range for the Aztech controller card (that I don’t have) according to the setup program.

AFAIK this card always worked without a driver. I got this combo from a friend of mine who’s computer I installed various times (last time must have been about 10 years go though). I don’t remember installing drivers for the card (but neither I remember the address to be used).

Yes, I can post pictures. I’ll get the card out of the computer somewhere tonight and I’ll give it a try. Thanks so far :slight_smile:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/pc-hardware-faq/enhanced-IDE/part2/
The “standards” for the main and alternate IDE ports are:

Interface number     CS0-decode    CS1-decode    IRQ number

1            01F0h-01F7h   03F6h-03F7h    14
        2            0170h-0177h   0376h-0377h    15 or 10
        3            01E8h-01EFh   03EEh-03EFh    12 or 11
        4            0168h-016Fh   036Eh-036Fh    10 or 9

The soundblaster IDE, and perhaps other alternates, often seem to favour number 4, not number 3.

http://www.driverzone.com/drivers/aztech/ - seems to have several drivers - looks like the driver also varies between soundcard, supplied interface and generic IDE.

Thanx Matth I’ll look into it!

I just found out that this card is in fact a Logisys card, rebadged by Western digital (my friend’s brother recalled that). It’s a “wdh7001c” card.

Looks like you’re out of luck.
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=wdh7001c&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
//Danne