Question about norton recycle bin

vbimport

Hello
I am not sure if this is the correct area to post this but here goes. I have Norton recycle bin on my desktop. Inside there I have something called “Empty protected recycle bin” and also " Empty protected files". Naturally I always use"Empty protected recycle bin". However I have never used the “Empty protected files” prompt. The reason being I am afraid of deleting something which may impact my operating system. When I select the prompt I am directed to a choice screen which asks me if I would like to "purge yours " or “purge all”. Can someone tell me what this prompt will do if I select “purge yours”. Does the item “protected files” (not recycle bin files) use up space on my computer? At the present time it says I have 1036 protected files total on drive c and 993 protected files on drive c. This info comes up on the same screen as my “purge yours” and “purge all” chioce.That is confusing for me. Why are the 2 numbers different?I have tried to search many places for help including Norton support, who have still not got back to me. Does anyone have an answer for me?

I stopped using norton over a year ago to many things running that I do not need like the norton recycle bin. I would right click on it if it was mine and disable norton recycle bin and use the one that comes with windows.

damn nuisance, I always disable it before it goes crazy protecting files,
worse when you start moving drives around.

don’t monkey around, shift/delete

The protected files should just be stuff you have deleted that it is protecting in case you want to recover them. I would just delete them. I quit using norton too as it is crap.

going off topic… ive had the worst trouble ever with macafee firewall :eek:

ye so have i, its such a large programme to run you need a super computer just to handle the new 2006 one!!
I have just got avg free editition and windows defender and that does me lol

I purge all, all the time and eveything still works fine, cant tell you what it is or does but i delete everything and never had a problem

Piss the bloody thing off…nothing but a damn nuisance. Stick to the Windows recycle bin and just be careful when you delete stuff.

ive got NI 2006, and its ok, although ive had bull with their subscrip thing and having to reformat twice. ATM i cant even open the control panel of norton so bah, it updates automatically anyway, but still a tad annoying.

Hi,

The Norton recycle bin protected files contains more than just files you have deleted. It also contains extra files from software installs, internet downloads, and even from Microsoft updates. It will also store the files it deletes when you run a Windows repair using one of the utilities in Norton System Works.

Unless I’m mistaken, somewhere in the Norton configuration there is a time limit you can set for it to start deleting the files on its own. You set it for whatever you feel comfortable with and it will delete files on that day count based on the day they were imported there.

Don’t use Norton any longer, but when I did I used to just delete everything in there and I never had a problem. Maybe I was lucky?

When it speaks of ‘purge yours’ it could mean multiple users. Sometimes people have different user accounts on a cpu and probably refering to that. I do have to agree with everyone on Mcafee and Norton. They’re both resource hogs (especially the new Mcafee) and i would junk them both. Try some of these programs and i’m sure you can find something to meet your needs and not have to pay anything. 46 best freeware programs

Well Thanks everyone for all your input. I am still a little uneasy about deleting what is in the protected files. Maybe I should just wait and see if they are deleted by themselves. Only problem is they are increasing in number every day. Do they use up space on my computer?

They absolutlly use up space. Everytime a file is deleted by you or windows, they wind up in the recycling bin (not deleted, protected and using space). Thats why I say it is ok to delete tham the are files that have already have been deleted. Still, the recycling bin is there for a purpose. Sooner or later you will acidentally delete something important and the recycling bin will save your ass as it is not really deleted. Trying to recover files other ways is a horrible experience and is not guarenteed like the recycling bin. You can set how much space the recycling bin uses, typically a percentage of your drive space, so the bigger the drive, the bigger the recycling bin. If I am not mistaken, windows uses about 10 percent of your drive by default. I think norton might use about 15 percent (havent used norton in a while though). You can set how much space they are allowed to use. I wouldn’t let it hog a bunch of space, but do not set it too low. It can really save your ass (or make things easier anyway).

Thank you very much for that info. I really appreciate it along with all the others.