Question about new 6X BD-R media

vbimport

Hi, I’ve got a bunch of new sony 6x for video media (these and these) coming in the next couple days and TDKs on the 25th or so and I’m trying to figure this out…

I think LG drives are the only 6x drives out outside Japan? Are those (or any other non-jp brand 6x burners) gonna be able to burn at 6x with these new discs or will they need a firmware update first? Am I understanding it right that the drive needs to have the MIDs listed at 6x in its firmware media list to be able to burn at 6x?

I just had a guy whose GGW-H20L (with newest firmware) wouldn’t burn Sony 4xs at 4x and I see in that scan thread for that drive sonys are listed at 2x in it’s media list. But I’ve also sold a ton of 4x to people all over the world and that’s the first problem I’ve heard like that, is it just a specific issue with that one model drive? Confused…

Thanks to anyone who can help me get a clearer picture on how this works…

I wonder if we can load the firmware in Media Code Speed Edit and look for the MID’s on those discs?

I would bet we are going to need a firmware upgrade.

nikoneko, would you please post the MID’s on these BD-R’s when you get them :slight_smile:

Thanks!

[QUOTE=nikoneko;2128734]Hi, I’ve got a bunch of new sony 6x for video media (these and these) coming in the next couple days and TDKs on the 25th or so and I’m trying to figure this out…

I think LG drives are the only 6x drives out outside Japan? Are those (or any other non-jp brand 6x burners) gonna be able to burn at 6x with these new discs or will they need a firmware update first? Am I understanding it right that the drive needs to have the MIDs listed at 6x in its firmware media list to be able to burn at 6x?

I just had a guy whose GGW-H20L (with newest firmware) wouldn’t burn Sony 4xs at 4x and I see in that scan thread for that drive sonys are listed at 2x in it’s media list. But I’ve also sold a ton of 4x to people all over the world and that’s the first problem I’ve heard like that, is it just a specific issue with that one model drive? Confused…

Thanks to anyone who can help me get a clearer picture on how this works…[/QUOTE]

nikoneko,

I downloaded the latest GGW-H20L firmware and loaded it in MCSE and here are the results for BD-R media and their respective write speeds.

Looks like Maxell, TDK and Verbatim are the only ones to write at 6x for now.

I don’t actually have a computer drive myself, everything I do is with my home theater recorder (and it’s broken…) So no way for me to get a MID atm. My supplier shipped these out and I’m getting them tomorrow. I will gladly ship you (or someone else trustworthy) a single for just the cost of shipping if you want to research it for me (shipping air would be like 3 bucks untrackable, 7 w/ tracking). Just pm me and we’ll hook up. It’s worth it to me to have some background when the inevitable questions come in.

That new chart is interesting, I think the TDKs listed at 6x are actually for data discs and not these for video coming out next week. It’s gonna be sad if they don’t do a firmware update quick and nobody without a japanese made drive can actually burn at 6x speeds with for video discs. Glad I didn’t order them in boxes of 10 ten packs like I usually do lol.

with BD-R there is really no such thing as for data or video. it is just marketing.

would be interesting knowing what MID those disc have.

I also own LG GGW-H20L

Yeah the true difference between data and video bd-rs has been really hard for me to research in japanese. They make a very big distinction here, even going so far as to put them in different parts of the stores in the big shops. But I have never been able to find a clear description of what the exact difference is.

Anyway just found this great site while searching for something else just now, http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/bluray/bluray01.htm . He’s got the mids for one of the new tdks on there, RBD-000. And also interestingly the Sony 4xs are showing with a mid of T02-001.

Tons of info on that site and some fun stuff like him cracking open a $1500 recorder.

Also answered another thing I’ve been trying to find, the new panasonic 8x LF-PB371JD are indeed made in china, (says it in japanese at the bottom of the page) :frowning:

Are the video BD-R’s more expensive?

Could it just be a marketing gimmick to jack up the price?

Possibly they have an extra scratch coating or something.

[QUOTE=nikoneko;2129222]Yeah the true difference between data and video bd-rs has been really hard for me to research in japanese. They make a very big distinction here, even going so far as to put them in different parts of the stores in the big shops. But I have never been able to find a clear description of what the exact difference is.

Anyway just found this great site while searching for something else just now, http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/bluray/bluray01.htm . He’s got the mids for one of the new tdks on there, RBD-000. And also interestingly the Sony 4xs are showing with a mid of T02-001.

Tons of info on that site and some fun stuff like him cracking open a $1500 recorder.

Also answered another thing I’ve been trying to find, the new panasonic 8x LF-PB371JD are indeed made in china, (says it in japanese at the bottom of the page) :([/QUOTE]

Yeah the videos are more expensive which may mean its marketing, but they also take longer to come out so it may be more. 6X data discs were out a couple months ago for example. So something is up…

Anyway, this shipment came to me at 2 pm today and it’s now after 3 am, and I’ve been working on cataloging and describing them the whole time, and this is one of the biggest updates to a line of bd-rs in a long while so please forgive the blatant advertising but I’m not about to describe what came out again and I’m sure somebody out there is curious. So if anyone is curious about the new models of sony bd-r/es that came out in Japan today you can check them out here. The new ones all say BRAND NEW… The interesting ones are the 6x of course, and these new “tegaki” (handwriting) type which can be like drawn on with any kind of markers/pens and also printed, and all the 20 packs. Really big update to sony’s line of discs.

Nice selection :eek: :clap:

I wonder if those 4x TDK will burn at 6x, time will tell and I must have some :wink:

nice store there, i was actually planning to buy from you. any discount for cdfreaks members?

Thanks, it’s been a lot of work so thats nice to hear. :slight_smile:

I was actually thinking about that. Until I get my off-ebay store ready (oh god I can’t wait, ebay reams us) a discount will have to be in the form of a refund/rebate because ebay doesn’t have coupon codes or anything like that. So let’s say buy something and put the word “cdfreaks” in the paypal comment and get a rebate of 5% off your order by paypal refund. :wink:

[QUOTE=nikoneko;2129725]Thanks, it’s been a lot of work so thats nice to hear. :slight_smile:

I was actually thinking about that. Until I get my off-ebay store ready (oh god I can’t wait, ebay reams us) a discount will have to be in the form of a refund/rebate because ebay doesn’t have coupon codes or anything like that. So let’s say buy something and put the word “cdfreaks” in the paypal comment and get a rebate of 5% off your order by paypal refund. ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Good News nikoneko :clap:
See you next month ( cdfreaks & Burnsama 5% ) :iagree:

Very nice looking store, Niko.

Are there spindles of 50GB discs yet?

There is a good chance i will order one spindle (20-pk) of TDKs.

Cheers!

SONY 6x (most likely, because sony might buy some stuff in from different manufacturers ) ->SONY-NN3-002 (not supported on LG at this time !)
TDK 6x ->TDKBLD-RBD-000 as you allready find out yourself.

Verbatim/Mitsubishi/maxell media that is supported at 6x is actually the 2x and 4x media.

The TDK media that is supported at 6x for the LG drive is actually the 4x media. The 6x is not supported.

Nope, the biggest available (from any brand afaik) in 50gb is 3 packs for video and 5 packs for data. Really the only thing that seems to be moving much as far as new discs go is 25gb bd-rs, both 50gbs and bd-res haven’t seen many updates to disc types or pack sizes (though 20 pack bd-res are out now from sony) and the price has stayed exactly the same for a few months now. Don’t expect much to change either probably with these currents updates from sony and tdk (and panasonic which I don’t sell as they mostly do singles) already here it may be a while.

[QUOTE=Chick_Hearn;2130310]Very nice looking store, Niko.

Are there spindles of 50GB discs yet?

There is a good chance i will order one spindle (20-pk) of TDKs.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2130349]SONY 6x (most likely, because sony might buy some stuff in from different manufacturers ) ->SONY-NN3-002 (not supported on LG at this time !)[/QUOTE]

Ouch figured as much. Well hopefully LG will get with an update sooner rather than later.

By the way 4x SOny exists in different versions as well
SONY-NS2-000 (RARE) (2x on LG)
SONY-NS2-002(no support on LG)
MEI-T02-001 (4x on LG)

Update it seems that LG is working on a new firmware.
Good change that they might waite to pick the taiwanese stuff a long (Ritek,CMC)

Update
Info Source Multi Media Ltd. - Also seems to make 6x BD-R. Which seems not to be supported by the LG drives.

any word when we can expect that LG update?

new LG firmware

BD-R supported media types: 39

CMCMAG BA2-000 2x
CMCMAG BA3-000 4x,2x
CMCMAG BA3-000 4x,2x
Daxon R2X-000 2x
Daxon R2X-000 2x
MAXELL RS1-000 6x,4x,2x
MAXELL RS2-000 6x,4x,2x
MEI T01-001 2x
MEI T02-001 4x,2x
NO_ID_ NO_-000 4x,2x