Question about my Laptop DVD Burner

vbimport

Hi all, I’m new to this forum. I was recommended to go here by a friend.
Anyway, I had a few questions about my DVD burner on my Laptop. My laptop is a Gateway Model 7405GX and I have a HL-DT-ST GWA-4080N DVD burner. Nothing is wrong with my burner, I am just enquiring about a new firmware release. Apparently there is a new firmware version for this burner that allows you to upgrade the drive to both DVD-RAM burning ability and DVD-DL burning. Btw, I have the 0G03 firmware revision. Is this true? And if it is, where can I download this new firmware. I have searched the web for hours trying to find firmware for this obscure drive. I’m also aware that this voids the gateway warranty obviously. Is there anyone out there that is a 7405GX owner and has done this firmware upgrade? Any helpful input would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,

Erik

Custom
MSI K7N2Delta2-LSR
Athlon XP 3000+ OC 2.2ghz
1 GB HyperX PC2700 Dual Ch.
ATI AIW Radeon 9800Pro
Plextor 716A/SW
Asus CB-5216A
WD 250GB Caviar SE EIDE
Maxtor 60GB DiamondMax Plus 9 EIDE
Rosewill R114A Silver ATX

Laptop
Gateway 7405GX Stock
Mobile Athlon 64 3200+ 2Ghz
Ati Mobility Radeon 9600
512 MB So-Dimm 333
HL-DT-ST GWA-4080N
Fujitsu 80GB IDE

Any advice? This post is looking more grim day by day :frowning: Hope that I may be able to get an answer. Maybe its just that not that many people have my laptop… I dunno. But any help would be appreciative.

Erik

Custom
MSI K7N2Delta2-LSR
Athlon XP 3000+ OC 2.2ghz
1 GB HyperX PC2700 Dual Ch.
ATI AIW Radeon 9800Pro
Plextor 716A/SW
Asus CB-5216A
WD 250GB Caviar SE EIDE
Maxtor 60GB DiamondMax Plus 9 EIDE
Rosewill R114A Silver ATX

Laptop
Gateway 7405GX Stock
Mobile Athlon 64 3200+ 2Ghz
Ati Mobility Radeon 9600
512 MB So-Dimm 333
HL-DT-ST GWA-4080N
Fujitsu 80GB IDE

Yes there is a firmware you can upgrade to to give you DL and DVD RAM. At first I was a little skeptical but I find that I works. It will not be the same firmware revison that gateway/emachines sends out with their machines. In fact the one that we have been using is the Sony 0S35. By we, I mean there is another thread in another board that we have been discussing this for a few months. As you know changing the firmware in your drive will cause your warranty to be void. However to circumvent the voided warranty I, with help from a firmware programmer, he makes RPC (region free) firmwares from existing firmwares extracted and created a flasher of the original, factory default firmware. As if I need to send my laptop in to Gateway, I will flash it back.

In fact the firmware is a different drive. It will no longer be a GWA 4080n with firmware revision 0g03; It will be a DVD RAM GMA 4080n with firmware revision 0s35. Our understanding/thought/guess is that all 4080N’s share the same hardware. with different firmwares that cause the drive to write to different media.

As this is my first post it might be possible that you do not believe me. So I will leave you with the url to the thread in which i was discussing this with others.

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=78112&page=1&pp=15

If you have any questions PM/post (I check notebookforums most often, I will try to remember to check this one occasionally.)

I don’t have any portable DVD burner, but many people have LG 8x DVD burners in their notebooks. Yes, they share the same hardware, but OEMs wanted LG to include OEM-only firmware in many of LG’s desktop and notebook DVD burners. So regard GWA-4080N as OEM verion of GMA-4080N with just a slightly different firmware.

And you meant TDB.

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#GSA4080N

Go to LG DVD Burner Forum here.

Thanks All For the posts. Mestizo, your statement that all 4080n’s are pretty much the same hardware is reasuring. Basically sounds like the prefixes in these names are just the different drive companies trying to slap their brand names on the drives. Well, I have only one question before I do update my firmware. From what link and where can I obtain the firmware that is currently on my drive (0G03) for backup in case I wanna flash “back” to that revision. Am I understanding this correctly? From the sony firmware Os35, it’s possible to revert back to my default LG firmware? If something goes wrong I wanna be able to get it back to the original firmware. This sounds like a promising upgrade (free heh) So if I revert back to default firmware in worst case scenario, and I decide to send it in to gateway for some other reason, hinges, etc, there is no way that they can see it had been an upgraded drive firmware? I also have like a 3 year best buy no lemon warranty… Plus I have a dead pixel. So if I sent it into Best Buy, they would still be able to replace the screen? It wouldn’t like void both warranties? I just wanna know how that tntoak guy could fit 2GB of PC3200 Ram in his 7405GX… That seems like a hell of an upgrade from 512 of PC2700… I have not been able to find ram upgrades greater then 1GB of 3200 on most sites.

Thanks for your help. I actually had been reading that forum and I think I’d bookmarked it! Small world. Mestizo, do u use a messenger service? I have MSN Messenger. Also my email is erikbaron4@hotmail.com, if u would like to send that original 0g03 firmware, I would be very greatful. According to the notebook forums (Page3) I think u said u got the Original 0g03 firmware un-altered. Thats the one I want, if u can email me it. Also is this Original 0g03 firmware a self extracting firmware?

On NBF there is a guide to disassemble Emachines M68xx/ Gateway 74xx series. Using that guide you gain access to the second RAM slot. By default the 7405 contains 2x 256 MB RAM, that guy changed both sticks to 1 gig PC3200. This upgrade will void the warranty. From what I understand if you do it correctly then you should have no problems warranty wise.

Just to keep this ontopic, yes the firmware is an unaltered version, The Dangerous Brothers sent me a program to extract the RAW image of the firmware from my drive and put it in a windows flasher for me. I have tried and was able to revert back to the 0g03. To my knowledge there is no way that Gateway/Arima (the acutally manufacturer) can tell that the firmware was flashed. Plus the odds of them checking are slim to none unless the problem is the DVD Drive. Just make sure that if you do need to send it in, do not tell them, and revert back to the 0g03 firmware. In fact I will be sending in my 7405gx soon because of the cracked hinges.

As you read the other forum more, you will see pmcartney. He doesn’t like the Sony firmware, don’t know why, but he does not like it. He thinks that the HP one is better. His points are valid, the best firmware is the one that comes with the drive.

But the one with the most features is the Sony one. Apparently HP has firmware that can also burn DL but not quite sure of DVD RAM.

I will email you the original firmware shortly.

Now for the fun part, the disclaimer:

I will not be held responsible for any damage that may or may not be inccured during the flashing procedure of your drive. This is the firmware that was created by The Dangerous Brothers, using the firmware taken from my drive. It is firmware revision 0g03 that was taken from a Gateway 7405gx. Flashing your drive is dangerous, and will void your warranty if your OEM finds out.

With that being said, I have not found/had any problems with the firmware, nor the Sony OEM firmware for the GMA. I have also not been told of any problems. However just because it has worked for me and others does not mean it will work for you.

By using the firmware you understand that you have the sole responsibility in all and any damage done to you computer.

To avoid any problems, a fresh install of Windows is reccomended. If a fresh install is not available, make sure it is virus free, and there are no runaway programs that may cause your computer to crash. If the flashing process is interupted damage may be inccured to the drive. Also make sure that there is no media (CD, DVD, etc) in the drive, as this will mess with your laser calibration and, agian, may damage your drive.