Question about MP3s on my hard drive

vbimport

I was having a arguement with a friend of mine. It boils down to:

Is there a way for others to check your PC for copyrighted material?

Example: My friend is using Virtuoso to rip Napster files, then he plans to cancel Napster after getting his fill. My point was there are ways for people to tell whats on your computer and whether you have the rights to it, and that he could still get in copyright trouble over this.

Can someone settle this arguement?

I dont think the riaa will come knocking at your door well not as yet anyway i think they will stick to catching you downloading illegal files :bigsmile:

The are only a few ways that come to mind:

1. If the questionable files are placed within a folder that your’re sharing in a p2p application, in which case everyone using the same p2p network can access those files. However, evey file outside these shared folders are completely invisible to the public, including those bad companies.

2. An illegal trojan horse (caused by viri, spyware, ActiveX or a direct assault). The attacker would then have the potential to access all your files everywhere on the PC. I haven’t heard of a single case as of yet, where the bad companies use such tactics. Even if they did, I’d hightly doubt the information they’d present would be admissible court. So rule this one out.

3. Online virus scanners. You give them permission to access all your files when you allow the related activeX control from your browser. AFAIK, they just scan files for viri, they won’t analyze for illega content Again, even if they did I’d doubt any info collected would be legally presentable in court.

4.can’t think of anything else right now…

Rather than quit filesharing after recieving his fill, I’d suggest he look into the vast number of freeware resources available to him, in which he can fileshare & protect himself at the same time without being served. There’s too many methods to mention here. :cool:

Dito! :iagree: Though I’d add uploading to that aswell.

Yes

Example: My friend is using Virtuoso to rip Napster files, then he plans to cancel Napster after getting his fill. My point was there are ways for people to tell whats on your computer and whether you have the rights to it, and that he could still get in copyright trouble over this.

Can someone settle this arguement?

New protection schematics incorporate a signature inside the audio file, therefore always tracking the origin. Wether you re-record or re-recompress it is of no importance. The code is hidden as a sound within the sound.

So, what did i win? :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that that’s true. I was reading an article about re-recording your protected MP3’s from Napster and a spokeswoman said that Napster could not tell who was re-recording.