Question about lack of Sony Blu Ray Burners

vbimport

Does anyone on this site know why Sony discontinued the BWU300S?

I notice that since they are with Optiarc, there is only 1 internal drive (for laptop) that is in production. Why aren’t they manufacturing desktop size burners?

There doesn’t seem to be a good selection of blu ray burners from anybody these days.

I wondered about this myself. The assholes were willing to bankrupt themselves to win the damn format war, but now they’re not going to support their format properly with PC hardware?

[QUOTE=omr;2494322]There doesn’t seem to be a good selection of blu ray burners from anybody these days.[/QUOTE]

I beg your pardon? :wink:

There are quite a few models out, but some of them are not that easy to find depending on the region of the world you have the fortune or misfortune to live into…

Both Pioneer BDR-203 (8x) and BDR-205 (12x) models are absolutely brilliant! :clap: There are also several clones of the two sold by Buffalo and/or Plextor.

There are also lots of LG models around … both internal and external. I’d stay away from the 6x and 8x models from LG though … they are rubbish in comparison with the Pioneers … the 10x version seems to be better but the firmware support from LG is not particularly good.

As for the BWU300S … given that it was a Mat[U]shit[/U]a clone, trust me when I say: You haven’t lost anything! The world is actually a better place without them :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Viper187;2495462]I wondered about this myself. The assholes were willing to bankrupt themselves to win the damn format war, but now they’re not going to support their format properly with PC hardware?[/QUOTE]

I’ve got two words for you: SONY ENTERTAINMENT :wink:

That’s what they really care for … selling pressed discs, picking up royalties from everyone else selling them, selling standalone Blu-Ray players / HD consumer equipment (TVs) … that’s where the big money is … then of course they’re busy protecting their content, going after file-sharers, etc … from that point of view they don’t want to help anyone by supplying them with technology which can be used cheaply and reliably to duplicate Blu-Ray discs :wink:

Less Blu-Ray writers on the market = less market competition = higher hardware and media prices = slower user adoption = less danger of piracy for longer = more Blu-Ray video discs sold = more money in the SONY’s pockets :wink:

‘Simples!’ - as a certain UK meerkat TV ad would say :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cvs;2495479]I beg your pardon? :wink:

There are quite a few models out, but some of them are not that easy to find depending on the region of the world you have the fortune or misfortune to live into…

Both Pioneer BDR-203 (8x) and BDR-205 (12x) models are absolutely brilliant! :clap: There are also several clones of the two sold by Buffalo and/or Plextor.

There are also lots of LG models around … both internal and external. I’d stay away from the 6x and 8x models from LG though … they are rubbish in comparison with the Pioneers … the 10x version seems to be better but the firmware support from LG is not particularly good.

As for the BWU300S … given that it was a Mat[U]shit[/U]a clone, trust me when I say: You haven’t lost anything! The world is actually a better place without them :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

The Pioneer does not support booktype for +R.

I actually have a Matshita UJ220S that Sony used in $5K+ CTO Vaio laptop I bought in 08. For some reason it only burns to 0.5X to BD-R both single and dual layer even after a firmware update. It took hours to burn a DL. I’m thinking about the LG External but I hear it is slow with USB.

[QUOTE=omr;2495489]The Pioneer does not support booktype for +R.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Pioneer does not support booktype for single-layer DVD+R or for DVD+RW. However, it automatically booktypes DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM whether you want it or not.

[QUOTE=omr;2495489]I’m thinking about the LG External but I hear it is slow with USB.[/QUOTE]

You heard correctly, in the case of any higher-speed Blu-Ray burner on USB 2.0 High-Speed. You see, USB 2.0 High-Speed cannot sustain data transfers any faster than roughly 31 MB/s. And the newer 10x-rated BD burners can exceed 31 MB/s on the outer tracks; therefore, the burn speed is automatically reduced to 6x or lower when using the USB 2.0 connection. An eSATA connection (or, for those burners which support USB 3.0, full USB 3.0 support on your computer system) is required in order to use the full rated speed of such external burners.

In any event, you do not want to use the BD burner’s full maximum write speed on any of today’s BD-R media. This is because there is currently no media available which can be written onto reliably at such high speeds. BD-R media is best written onto at the media’s maximum rated speed or slightly below. At present the fastest-rated BD-R media generally available is rated for 6x burn speed.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2495550]You heard correctly, in the case of any higher-speed Blu-Ray burner on USB 2.0 High-Speed. You see, USB 2.0 High-Speed cannot sustain data transfers any faster than roughly 31 MB/s. And the newer 10x-rated BD burners can exceed 31 MB/s on the outer tracks; therefore, the burn speed is automatically reduced to 6x or lower when using the USB 2.0 connection.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that the drive’s controller speed gets cut in half (or to one-fourth or one-eighth of maximum speed), not by any other fraction thereof. This is due to the nature of binary controllers.