Question about image files

I have a few questions:

1. Does making image files and then running them through virtual drive programs work with the newest games like Max Payne 2, or does their copy protection prevent this from happening?

2. In case they do, or reguarding older games that definitely work, what’s the best format for making an image file (ISO, BIN/CUE, what’s the difference?) And what’s the best program to make an image file? Does one of those formats I mentioned yield a smaller size, so that I could make a lot of image backups of my discs and burn them onto a DVD for archival purposes?

1. Yes. Copy protection is emulated.

2. Use the MDS (Alcohol) or CCD (CloneCD) formats. ISOs and BINs usually work due to emulation (this is from what I know…not too sure if it’s right or not).

Welcome :wink:

Your questions belong in recording software /or copyprotection forum.

Answer on q1 and q2 is BlindWrite (5), my point of view.

Make a read-in on recording software forum.

:wink:

Newbie Forum is for n00bz to ask questions…it’s fine here. As far as backups, you will see a lot of different recommendations.

FutureProof wrote a great introduction to backups and can be found here, and it is worth reading it. More commonly, people here use a lot of Alcohol and CloneCD, but also a lot of BlindWrite. Check out that link…you’ll be sure to find some great help in there.

Regards,
Chris

Sorry-cmr2004x-, I didnt mean to be rude against tgc225.

As for copyprotection, your link is very “compact” and not covering the mainstream and latest/ best SecurRom protection.

As for q1, just like to add Alcohol120 for images.

Originally posted by tgc225

And what’s the best program to make an image file?
Does one of those formats I mentioned yield a smaller size,
so that I could make a lot of image backups of my discs
and burn them onto a DVD for archival purposes?
See my A on a similar Q in problem burning large .bin files

with regards to securom new 4.8*** Alcohol cuts through the thing like a knife through butter. burn with RMPS (real media physical signature) and you can read with no problem at all. if you want to give that disc to a friend they have to have an alcohol compatible emulator like dameon tools to read the RMPS signature burned onto the disc.

its also possible to use clone cd to make a ‘working’ copy but not as good as the alcohol one but it can run on almost all computers. make an image of the disc using clone cd. make a bwa file of teh cd using blindwrite suite version 4.x (not 5) the nuse twin peaks to make a patched version of the image file then use clone cd to burn the cd patched file (patched.ccd) and is should work. most of these files can be downloaded from the clone cd forums http://clone.cd/phpBB/ you have to be a member to download but its worth it.