Question about high-quality audio ripping

Hi,

I want to rip a bunch of CD’s and burn them onto 1 or 2 dual layer DVD’s, but I want CD quality sound, not mp3’s. Can anyone offer me some advice on what software and formats to use, both for ripping and for playback? I have Nero 8 and noticed you can rip as either mp3 or mp4, but I’m wondering whether this mp4 is a proprietary format that only Nero Showtime will play. If not, what’s a good program that can play many formates? I hate Media Player, and although I often use VLC, it doesn’t play all the files. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-cej

The two lossless compression types in wide-spread use are flac and ape. Both compress the .wav file without losing a single bit of data (lossless). I use flac because it’s supported by FreeRIP MP3, Mp3tag, and Foobar2000 - my ripping, tagging and media player solutions, all of which are free.

With those three programs and the .flac format, I can enjoy perfect CD quality to all my music at about 60% the size.

Yes, flac is awesome. I use Burrrn to make CD-Rs that play in regular CD, DVD players.

I recommend you to use ExactAudioCopy and use FLAC as the encoder; also if you want perfect rips, you should use Accuraterip that is included in EAC. You can play back the .flac files with Winamp or Foobar2000.

[QUOTE=c e jones;1956570]Hi,

I want to rip a bunch of CD’s and burn them onto 1 or 2 dual layer DVD’s, but I want CD quality sound, not mp3’s. Can anyone offer me some advice on what software and formats to use, both for ripping and for playback? I have Nero 8 and noticed you can rip as either mp3 or mp4, but I’m wondering whether this mp4 is a proprietary format that only Nero Showtime will play. If not, what’s a good program that can play many formates? I hate Media Player, and although I often use VLC, it doesn’t play all the files. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-cej[/QUOTE]

Look in to audio dvd creator or diskwelder, they allow you to do lossless onto dvd with both you can set up menus etc.

in general you can get about 6 cds onto 1 DVD…some programs will let you do mp3’s and convert them to DVD but y ou are going from lossless to lossy back to lossless again. I find that you get alot of pops etc…butyou can get about 100 hrs on one dvd