Question about Hard Drives (Western digital My Book Essential 320 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB, USB 2.0)

[qanda]This thread is about the Western digital My Book Essential 320 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB, USB 2.0. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]My external hard drive has the 8MB buffer. I only use it for ripping movies. First question would be, is it better to rip to the internal drive and then move it the external drive with something like TeraCopy, or is it fine going straight to the exernal drive. My second question is, does the 8MB buffer have anything to do with the read/encode speed of the software ripping the movie? The ripping speed usually gets over 10 MB/s before the rip is complete.

[QUOTE=kings;2299142]My external hard drive has the 8MB buffer. I only use it for ripping movies. First question would be, is it better to rip to the internal drive and then move it the external drive with something like TeraCopy, or is it fine going straight to the exernal drive. My second question is, does the 8MB buffer have anything to do with the read/encode speed of the software ripping the movie? The ripping speed usually gets over 10 MB/s before the rip is complete.[/QUOTE]

1. It depends on the internal/external disc and the ripping speed of your drive. Why don’t you rip the same DVD with the same drive at both your internal and external drive, to see how much time is needed each time?

2. No, the buffer only affects the performance of the external hard drive. It has nothing to do with the ripping process itself. Anyway, you can’t do anything about the buffer, so don’t worry :wink:

1. The internal and external hard drives are about the same in specs. 7200 spin speed with an 8MB buffer.

Ripping directly to your external drive will likely be faster than ripping to the internal drive and then copying to external. You can try both and find out for yourself as suggested.

My concern is the accuracy of the rip to the external hard drive. I could care less about the speed.

I can tell no difference I do it both ways.

I didn’t think there would be a difference between the two when it comes to ripping. Just thought I would make sure first.

[QUOTE=kings;2299169]My concern is the accuracy of the rip to the external hard drive. I could care less about the speed.[/QUOTE] The accuracy will be exactly the same.