Question about hacked firmware and warranty

vbimport

Now, i know if you used hacked firmware you void your warrenty…

but my question is is it possible to backup your firmware first, then if you need to RMA the drive, to flash back to that without them knowing?

basically i want to try some hacked firmware on my drive before i totally give up on it and RMA it.

The NEC 2500A has very good write quality on most media with stock firmware.

Hacked firmware will not improve your drive if it is performing badly. If you are confident that your drive is bad, I would RMA it and not mess with any hacked fw.

You may be missing the point. When you choose to use unsupported firmware, you are agreeing to give up any rights to warranty support or RMA.

In your case, if the hardware is flakey, RMA it now and don’t bother with firmware. Firmware does not fix hardware problems.
The stock firmware is great on a good drive.

i’m not so sure that this is true. i had a faulty drive… it couldnt read back anything it burnt and all error scans in dvdinfopro show many errors on all discs. now, rescanning these same discs with my new one shows that all burns made with the hacked firmware were flawless and the first three burns with the stock fw all still showed errors. so it appears that updating the fw may have imporved the burning quality? unless by chance those first three ritekG04 disks were just poor quality. who knows.

So in other words you RMA’d a drive after you flashed with unsupported firmware. Which is exactly what CDFreaks does not condone. Shame on you.

i wasnt ashamed, at the time, for returning a drive that was faulty before i updated, after i updated, and after undoing the update. why should anyone be stuck with an $80 drive that doesnt work? from now on, if i think i have a bad drive, i will return it right away instead of trying to fix it… since now i realize that sort of thing is frowned upon :o .

Well, as has been said a dozen times around here, when you choose to flash, you choose to give up your warranty.
But I know it’s tempting to try.

But back to the actual question can you get back to your original firmware !?!?!

Of course you can. Just flash it in DOS using the .BIN file of your original firmware.
Or you could use the Windows flasher for the official 1.07 firmware found on NECs’ website.

Frowned upon or not, I doubt that a company could get away with avoiding a legitimate warranty claim just because the owner had flashed another firmware. A certain inkjet printer learned that they can’t void warranties after customers used non-OEM ink UNLESS that ink was responsible for the failure. Similarly, I suspect that a burner manufacturer would lose a court case for voiding a warranty unless they can prove that the hacked firmware was responsible for the failure.

Funny thing is that a lot of these manufacturers are putting out new firmware versions, then telling people that if the upgrade fails the warranty is void - even if they’re using the manufacturer’s firmware. Really, I doubt they could win a case on that. For about $25 it’d be interesting to file against one of the manufacturers in small claims court on one of these cases & see how they handle it. :slight_smile:

There’s not a thing wrong with flashing your unit & then flashing it back to the original prior to a warranty claim - especially if that firmware isn’t responsible for the failure. EOS.

To bring an old thread to the top again… one thing that interests me from the technical point of view is whether flashing to non-official firmware and then back to an official version is somehow altering other non-flashable parts of the drive’s memory, some region code or bitsetting counters for instance (in case the modded firmware was region free or did things with the dirve an official firmware was unable to do)?

If you have a firmware that supports changing the booktype, then it’s easy to see that you flashed a different firmware. Usually these traces are removed when you reset the booktype settings. But if you used a HP based firmware on 1300 or 2500 drives, these changes cannot be reverted with the firmwares that are available for download.

RPC1 or Riplock however should not be detectable - assuming you flashed back to an official firmware again.

Ah, thanks.

In one post of yours I read that the burner’s memory consists of three parts: 1. the safe mode firmware, 2. the actual firmware that gets exchanged by flashing new firmware and 3. a part where the serial number etc. and settings are stored, and I guess the booktype settings, too, plus its counter of changes.

So now you made me curious about those older NEC drives, how does the HP firmware for those two 1/2xxx drives alter the settings in the drives ROM so that it’s irreversibly changed? I mean, wouldn’t it be possible to flash the drive with another firmware that resets those changes? What I’m asking is: was there simply no patched or unpatched firmware around that could have reset those changes because noone bothered to make one (since using modded firmware is accompanied with a voluntarily void of warranty) or was it just impossible to revert those changes?

In other words and as a general technical question about DVD burners: Is there a part in those drive’s memory that can only be written once? Either like a counter (e.g. number of firmware flashings, discs written) or other code (like additional manufacturer IDs or drive commands)?

If that’s the case I can really understand why DVD-RW manufacturers don’t want to RMA modded drives that were “messed” around with… :smiley:

as most know it is extremely rare for a firmware flash to cause issues with a drive. i cannot recall of a single situation the i have seen on this and the liteon forum where the drive was not recusitated, i am not saying it doesn’t happen but i am saying it is rare in the extreme especially with all the OOPS flashes in the liteon forum.

i think it is ludicrous to say that you cannot do something with the drive that does not hurt it in ANY way, improves the product’s capabilities and usefulness in most cases and then are barred from using your warranty. that is just plain stupid…

what it does is cause people to go back to the retailer and put is all on them. i can guarentee that when a drive is returned to a store they aren’t going to check for a mod’d firmware and they damn sure are returning it to the manufacturer so why bother making some sort of threat about something that has, most likely, NOTHING to do with the problem the drive is being returned for.

You’re right. They are just stored in a different order. In 2x00 and 3x00 drives the safemode firmware is located from 0x0000 to 0x3fff, settings from 0x4000 to 0x5fff and main firmware from 0x6000 to 0xfffff

I didn’t say it is irreversibly changed. But all “public” firmwares do not supply a mechanism to reset these values. In fact it is possible to reset these changes with a modified firmware. In fact I already did this change myself to test some booktype stuff.

Of course it’s not impossible to create areas that are only writable once, but I doubt the NEC drives have something like this.

It’s very simple. By changing the firmware, you do not only change some Bytes in a memory location, you also change things in how a drive works. For example you could put too much power on the laser and damage it. (Just a guess, not sure if it’s really possible). Maybe it’s also possible to destroy a motor in any way. And why should a manufacturer be responsible to pay for these broken drives? It wasn’t their fault!

What’s wrong with you man?
He had a faulty drive. The hacked firmware was not the cause of the problem and therefore I agree with the RMA idea. So what if he did flash a hacked firmware? So what if flashing the hacked firmware voids the warranty?
He deserves the RMA because the hardware was mulfunctioning and his treatment to the drive was not the reason for that.