Question about FF and AddBlockPlus

vbimport

Just to do a little side-by-side I installed FF 3.68 on my old (PII 300) linux laptop to compare against Opera 10.70. I installed AddBlockPlus with EasyList and after about a week of use I noticed in the “hits” coloumn of ABP that I’ve only had four sites with 1 hit each and a fifth with 13. I usually visit about twenty newspaper sites, about 30 tech sites, probably another 20 misc. sites, and another 20 random sites a day, some international. Opera’s filter list is loaded at startup so I created my own list to keep it small (I’ve only 128MB to work with). From what I can see from my browsing habits, the EasyList is overkill and I’ll probably just create my own for ABP. My question is, anyone using ABP getting a high hit rate with EasyList? Am I missing something?

A better alternative would be to edit your “Hosts” file and block those popup and ads. I find this a better and more efficient way of going. I use Host blocking and that improves browsing across the board since I started using it.

QUOTE=Whappo;2543075 My question is, anyone using ABP getting a high hit rate with EasyList? Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]I can agree, a user defined filter list seems to sweep more junk than the predefined ones.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2543216]A better alternative would be to edit your “Hosts” file and block those popup and ads.[/QUOTE]You may have a look at privoxythen. IMO better than editing the hosts file.

Michael

Thanks coolcolors, I first used the Hosts file trick in the 90’s before any ad-blocking was available for browsers, but I’m trying the different content blocking options that come with modern browsers just to learn and see how efficient/effective they can be. I’m quite familiar with Opera (my browser of choice) and am trying to learn more about FF with ABP and I haven’t found any reason to use EasyList, which delays the startup and eats up too much memory. I was just curious about the number of “hits” others might be getting.

I’ve not heard of privoxy Michael, I’ll need to read more about it, thanks.

By the way, on my lowly laptop, FireFox is no competition for Opera in startup and page rendering. I haven’t tried Chrome yet, I’ll need to undeb a package before I can install it.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2543301]
You may have a look at privoxythen.[/QUOTE]
I second the nod to privoxy.
You can set it to filter lots of junk that slow down page loads as well as block unwanted things. It does require a bit of reading, adjusting settings, and fine tuning–but once you have it down it it works.

Editing the hosts file does take some time and read on how to do it but you can take a look at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and see what you think.