Question about DVDFab HD Decrypter

vbimport

I have a question…does DVDFab HD Decrypter actually work anymore? Someone over at Videohelp was asking for a free DVD decryption program and I advised using DVDFab HD Decrypter.

They said it would not work. Even after clicking on Try. (thread here)

This is not the first time this has come up. For several years we’ve been hearing complaints about DVDFab HD Decrypter refusing to work at all, not just with newer releases.

I’m going to have to stop recommending DVDFab’s free products at this rate. There aren’t many up-to-date alternatives, though there is one good one that rips and decrypts to MKV format. I’ll continue to direct people to that one.

Kerry
To my knowledge Version 9 will not work right with out a internet connection, but otherwise it will, just takes a lot longer to open.There was a couple versions that had issues starting.I have not even tried the last several updates

I still use mostly version 5 and sometimes version 8 qt,they will handle most DVD’s.

The latest versions don’t seem to run on my windows10 machine, even in the free HD Decrypter mode.

Though the latest versions run fine on my older computers with windows7 and windows8.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2771188]
I’m going to have to stop recommending DVDFab’s free products at this rate. There aren’t many up-to-date alternatives, though there is one good one that rips and decrypts to MKV format. I’ll continue to direct people to that one.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunate there’s not much around.

If you know what you’re doing, the old dvd decrypter 3.5.4.0 still works fine for more than 95% of dvd discs on the market. (It has not been updated in over a decade). Though this assuming one is watching the dvd rips on the computer or on something like a wdtv type of box.

(It’s an entirely different story if one is burning these rips to dvdr discs. A lot of the additional basketcase drm schemes function to trip up burning programs, such that the burned discs are totally messed up or completely unwatchable).

The remaining small 5% of dvd discs with additional basketcase drm schemes, can be ripped as “movie/episodes only” on the old dvd decrypter 3.5.4.0 if one is accustomed to reading *.ifo files on such basketcase dvd discs (using ifoedit).

The only discs that I have not been able to rip using dvddecrypter 3.5.4.0, are some New Line titles released during late-2007 and many Paramount titles released during 2011 -> mid-2014. (These particular New Line and Paramount titles can be easily ripped by other programs).

I have DVDFab 9 and it works on Windows 10 for me. I have several decryption programs, so finding one for DVD’s isn’t a problem for me personally. I’ve stopped buying DVD’s however, and have only purchased Blu-rays for the last few years, with only one exception that I can remember.

No, my inquiry here was an attempt to find an answer from the DVDFab experts (of which I am most certainly not a member). I do recommend video programs at several sites, so it helps if I have something to back up those recommendations. If I don’t use a program extensively myself, I have to rely on the experience of trusted members here or at Videohelp.

When the program shuts itself down, saying the trial is over and will not allow you to access the controls to select the free section, that is a problem.

Kerry,I stopped to advise about ‘free’ dvd copyprotection ripping programs to my acquaintances a while ago…for the same reason…
Instead,I point them to a few of Digiarty’s programs,while NOT free,those programs are given away at least a few times a year,so they keep up with the latest dvd protections…and @ no cost,if you keep an eye open for those giveaways…:wink:

DVDFABDecrypter Free version, is about 30 days behind the paid version in term of encryption, maybe Signals can let us know if I am right or not, I bought the whole program and I do not use the Free version, but I would be shocked if if was not working correctly.

It can be up to 60 days behind, which is fine if you don’t mind waiting. Those that got Passkey when it was free last summer can use it with the free version of Fab to have the latest decryption immediately, and Passkey is currently 50% off for current or former Slysoft licensees, that’s ~US$52 for Lifetime, $30 for one year

Kerry

When the program shuts itself down, saying the trial is over and will not allow you to access the controls to select the free section, that is a problem.

I have not had this problem before so can’t help you on it, the few attempts that I have done the program did open.

^At least you’ve addressed the actual problem bean55, instead of bringing up extraneous DVDFab programs. Since I have the full DVDFab product, this wasn’t an issue for me, but it does crop up over at Videohelp every few months, and has been doing so for several years.

In any case, I’m done recommending DVDFab’s free products.

[QUOTE=bean55;2771445]
I have not had this problem before so can’t help you on it, the few attempts that I have done the program did open.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t been able to isolate the exact problem on my particular windows10 machine.

Whenever I start it up, it says something along the lines of not being compatible with the operating system (paraphrased), and then it shuts down. It doesn’t even reach the screen asking which version one wants to run.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2771457]^At least you’ve addressed the actual problem bean55, instead of bringing up extraneous DVDFab programs. [/QUOTE]

(As an aside).

If my previous post on unrelated programs was problematic to you, feel free to delete it.

^Wasn’t talking about you jcroy, and amended my original statement to include only DVDFab products. Signal’s post was a classic non-answer.

I do remember a couple of the early betas of version 9 did not open without internet connection at all, but to my best recollection that was resolved, unless it’s back again

Ah, I see. So if it is not free it is no good? Our opinions on this obviously differ, but I think the paying users that support the continued development should have a reasonable expectation of first access to the fruits of their investment. My post amplified what Alan1476 posted [I]at his request[/I] and offered a cheap alternative to waiting for updates to the free version of Fab. The free version should still work and should allow non-registered users to start the HD Decrypter (free) version just before the GUI starts up. [QUOTE=Kerry56;2771462]^Wasn’t talking about you jcroy, and amended my original statement to include only DVDFab products. Signal’s post was a classic non-answer.[/QUOTE]

No, that was not my meaning at all. The one free program that I continue to endorse is very good indeed. And I have directed people to many other free programs in the past for decryption and still do so for conversion programs which I believe are [B]entirely[/B] superior to many of the commercial ones.

No, my complaint is that the free version does not work consistently. And this behavior is ignored. If it does not work for people then it is NOT worth directing them to the program. And I am not talking about the waiting period for new releases. There have been many cases where the program simply [B]would not [/B]function. Edit: (Here’s one from last year. http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/373039-Is-DVDFab-HD-Decrypter-still-best-free-DVD-ripper There have been many, many others over the years)

Not a problem for me. I don’t often recommend DVDFab products anyway. There are a few that I do like, Passkey for example, is a worthy alternative if you want to pay for a decryption program. But the free ones are off my list of programs that I will recommend for any reason.