Question about DVD Back-ups and a XBOX

My question is, I am able to back up MY DVD movies and play them on just about anything (I am not interested about making back-ups of XBOX games).

I am using Memorex DVD + R media. And the discs play fine in my Computer DVD drive and my Stand alone DVD player made by Pioneer.

But none of my back-up DVD's work in the XBOX to view. It keeps saying that the discs is unreconized. 

Anyone have any luck viewing backed-up DVD movies in their XBOX?

Thanks for any help out there!

Originally posted by stead04
[B]My question is, I am able to back up MY DVD movies and play them on just about anything (I am not interested about making back-ups of XBOX games).

I am using Memorex DVD + R media. And the discs play fine in my Computer DVD drive and my Stand alone DVD player made by Pioneer.

But none of my back-up DVD's work in the XBOX to view. It keeps saying that the discs is unreconized. 

Anyone have any luck viewing backed-up DVD movies in their XBOX?

Thanks for any help out there! [/B]

Same problem here. I once managed to get a backup’ed dvd of Terminator 3 playable on my Xbox , but that was the last one.

It seems Nero has a ‘Make Xbox compatible’ flag inside it , but i haven’t found it yet.

I have been reading the forum, and I want to see if I am reading things right.

And XBOX does not read DVD + R discs. So does that mean, If I use a DVD - R disc, that it should work?

My DVD Writer burns both, so I wonder if this will work. I am not sure if MY stand alone DVD player (from Pioneer) will handle the DVD - R format discs. But maybe (It is an older player).

I also read something about Book type Setting using Nero. That is fine and dandy, but i don’t use Nero. I use DVD Shrink to get the DVD to Size. Image Burn to make the ISO. And DVD Decrypter to burn the DVD to Disc.

So, I am not sure if book type setting will work using this software.

Thanks again!!!

Yes good quality DVD-R discs should work in your xbox.

Ssseth,

Thank you for the reply and I am going to give it a try.

I do hope that the DVD - R discs work on my older Stand alone Pioneer DVD player (It has no probs with the DVD + R)

Do you have any recommendations for a good DVD - R disc?

Thanks again for the help.

RitekG04 are a good price/performance combo.

Search the media forum and you should be able to find out more information on media :smiley:

Edit: What burner are you using, the LiteOn 411S/811S has a bit setting tool for it that changes the booktype from +R to -R (-ROM) so they will work in the xbox.
The NEC 1300A has a tool available to it as well.
I think certain Plextor drive do to. You’ll have to check on that one though.

Ssseth,

Thanks for the info on the media, I will pick up a few on my way home from work and give it a try and see if it works or not (i'll either post here or PM if you interested!).

My drive is LG Electronics GSA-4040B 4x DVD±RW Drive

It may not be the best drive out there, but for the price and how much I plan on using it (Not a whole lot), can’t really seem to beat it. Granted, it is used only for DVD media and I use my normal CD burner for CD related things.

The software that came with it is not worth the media it is on, but the free software I have gotten from these forums more than make up for it (DVD Shrink, DVD Image tool and DVD decrypter), and I have had no prob making back-ups of DVD’s that I have.

So, I am not sure if there is a Bit Set tool for my drive or not. Granted I have read a little on it and I am confused on how to use it and how it works (I guess I might have to cross that bridge some day). Although I am hoping that the DVD - R discs work out for me.

Thanks again for the help.

No I don’t think that the 4040B has such a tool for it. Go ahead and post back here, the more follow ups the better. Someone might read this thread and get some useful info out of it :smiley:

Glad I could help and welcome to cdfreaks!

Ssseth (And other who may be watching),

Well, I went and bought some TDK DVD - R discs to try and see if I can get backed-up DVD movies to play in the XBOX. And I have still had no luck.

First I tried using DVD shrink to make make the movie within size. Then I used Image tool burn (version 1.x) to make the .ISO and the used DVD Decrypter to put the .ISO image back to a DVD - R disc.

The XBOX still said unreconized.

So, then I started thinking, I will download and tried Nero (6.3.0.2) to try and get it to work. 

Pretty much the same process. I had used DVD shrink to make the movie within size. IMG tool burn to make the .ISO and then I launched Nero. I finally found the force XBOX compat mode (under UDF/ISO tab). And it started burning away on a DVD - R disc.

I was all jazzed about it, I am using a DVD - R disc and using Nero (Which I read some where on this forum) will make the disc work on an XBOX.

Afterwards, still the same error message, disc is not reconized.

So, I am stuck again.

I am using a first generation XBOX, so I am not sure about the drive. That could be a factor, although I wonder.

And a couple of other things that I have noticed. (And maybe you can help me with, or somewhere here can, or maybe I will cross post if need be).

I have explained my process for backing-up DVD's. And it has worked flawlessly. But now since I have installed Nero, Img tool burn does not output the file to an .ISO file to a folder I name. It just goes ahead and burns the disc right then and there. And there seems to be no more use for the process of using DVD Decrypter. Is this normal? Since I have Nero, just shrink it and launch the img burn tool and I am done, or am I messing it up?

And the second thing I noticed, using img tool burn, I looked within the settings and there is check box for DVD-ROM book type. Granted I found this after the fact and was way too late to test, I was wondering if someone knows what this is for and if it will work for this problem?

And lastly, in your opinion, am I doing this right? I mean, I am using the free stuff and it has worked pretty good so far. But now I do have Nero installed and that burned the DVD - R disc fine. (Granted it worked in all other players except the XBOX). So, (Just looking for opinions here), Should I still with the way I am doing things, or should I change the way / process I am doing it for better looking results?

Sorry for the long(ish) post and thanks in advance for any help / opinions.

Hey, I had the same problem trying to get burned DVD’s to play on the Play Station 2. After weeks of trying different formats I finally got a post on another forum telling me to do something and it worked. It envolved burning the Movie to a high quality DVD + R. Next to remove the front of the cd tray, the part that shows when you push it in. Next you insert a DVD Magic Disc into the drive and let it start just like a movie. After that you take a small knife or pin and move the automatic slide to the right, and pull the disc tray out manually and placing the DVD in it, pushing it back in manually and sliding the automatic slide to the left and pressing X on the controller. If this could work for the X-Box it would be the perfect solution, assuming you want to remove the front of the cd tray and that they make a DVD Magic Disc for the X-Box (but i think the one for PS2 should work the same on X-Box)
Please Post back if anyone has any luck with this.
Thank you and Hope it works :smiley:

ssseth,

I searched for the nec 1300a book setting program ans was unable to find anything. Do you happen to have a link for it?

Originally posted by genericuser
[B]ssseth,

I searched for the nec 1300a book setting program ans was unable to find anything. Do you happen to have a link for it? [/B]

check the link in my signature. you need to use Herrie’s 1.08v2 firmware along with DVDInfoPro (which is what you use to actually choose what you want to burn the dvd+r as).

im using memorex 4x dvd+r media and it works in my xbox to a certain extent, some chapters dont work, but they do play mostly

First of all im quit an experienced user when it comes to Xbox/back up/Mod/HDD.

I tried multipli burner apps, i will list on of the famous people know

NERO BURNING ROM XBOX DVD_R (UDF) Good: No, in fact really bad, sure you can burn them using UDF but the result aint that great, shoppy videos, sound, sometimes won´t boot properly

RECORDNOW MAX XBOX DVD_R (GDFIMAGE) GOOD: The best burner app that is out there. The discs will boot directly and it will run smoothly as H*ll :slight_smile:

There you have, use STOMPS product, the best there is :slight_smile:

where can i get this program/burner whatever it is i want to play my dvd’s on my xbox

is there any reason that you guys want to play the dvd specifically on the xbox? cause from as far as i know a regular dvd player or even your pc works fine? is this one of these things that you want to get done just so that youve accomplished it?

wel my pc screen is not pretty to look at and i want to sit comfortable and thats inpossible when i look to my pc and the dvd player stands in the living room and my xbox in my bedroom

Originally posted by T-850
[B]First of all im quit an experienced user when it comes to Xbox/back up/Mod/HDD.

I tried multipli burner apps, i will list on of the famous people know

NERO BURNING ROM XBOX DVD_R (UDF) Good: No, in fact really bad, sure you can burn them using UDF but the result aint that great, shoppy videos, sound, sometimes won´t boot properly

[/B]

Using UDF with nero isn’t choppy etc.It’s just a different file format it has no effect on video quality whatsoever. If you want to play avis etc on your xbox you have to use UDF with nero. Some of the older thomson drives read +r just fine without bitsetting, most if not all samsung drives need bitsetting for +r. Since i burn with my nec 2500a instead of my liteon 811s I have to use -r untill hopefully someone comes out with a bitsetting program.

Guys i made a misstake, im NOT talking about burning videos im talking about burning xbox games perfectly. But i noticed the thread was about videos :slight_smile:

What i said about UDF is that you can burn a game but i can suffer from errors.

Later guys