Question about burn quality

vbimport

Can i ask if i burn a DVD-R disk and after burning look at it and it has some bad burn deep purple spots or lines on it. But then i scan it in Nero CD-DVD test and it gets a quality score of between 94-97. What do i trust.

Would you keep the disk or burn it again?

And can a burn still be faulty and get a high quality score in Nero?.

Spots like this indicate crap media or a batch problem with quality media - almost always the former - fakes even!

What media, what MID code, and what hub code - info, info.

Theyve receintly happened on about 10 Verbatim DVD+R 4x disks (Media Code MCC 02). DVD+R Ridata 2.4x (RicohJFN R00) and I just bought last week some Ridata Extreme G05 DVD-R disks burned 9, 4 had the spots.

Its happeneing on all my drives. Ive tried them on a Sony 720a, a NEC 3540 and a NEC 1300a. All the same. I usually burn at 4x or with the Ridata ive burned half at 4x and half at 8x with same results.

Do the spots mean its a bad faulty burn, as like i say the quality score is still usually in the 90’s

It’s certainly worrying that you are getting so many like this. As icey stated above, it usually means faulty media.

A long time ago before I knew any better I had some Laser branded (SKC mid code) discs that did this and every one of them was a reject.

More recently however I got a Ritek G05 disk with a big ugly streak in the dye, almost the whole width of the disk. Thought it didn’t have a snowflakes chance in hell of burning properly, but surprisingy it burnt ok and even PI/PO scans ok.

The bottom line is that any patchy discoloration is a bad sign, but if the scan says its ok then it probably really is ok. I’d still worry about having too many like this though.

If you get these with different medias and different burners, I would investigate handling… :wink:

Keep your trays nice and clean (you may wipe the tray surface with a soft cloth and several drops of isopropyl alcohol), and handle your discs with great care (avoid “dropping” the medias onto the tray for example…).

Usually got these spots when I wasn’t very careful with media handling. Sometimes discs sold in spindles (or simply wrapped) have spots because of poor conditioning before shipping. Shocks during transport may alter the surface, because of small dust particles between discs.

Just my 2 cents :wink:

Something else:

I would never trust CDSpeed’s “quality score”. It’s merely a counter that has no “intelligence” at all.

You have to actually look at the way the PIFs are spread over the scan.

If most of the highest PIF errors (not counting isolated spikes of course) are located in specific regions of the scan, it’s more likely that the disc indeed has bad spots, and these will get worse with time. Beware!

If the PIF errors are evenly spread and you get a 94-97 score, don’t worry too much :wink: