Question about ATIP & cd-readers

vbimport

Hi,

I have a liteon LTR32123S which I am happy with and I was considering purchasing a Liteon 52x cd reader (LTN-526S or LTN-526).

However I notice there has been a development in cd protections that allows the game to know if it is on a CD-R or not by checking for an ATIP area on the cd.

Are liteon readers capable of reading the ATIP area (if they are not why would there be a firmware update available to "match more media"?

On a related note, would it be possible to instruct a cd burner to overwrite the ATIP area with nonsense or something after burning the cd so that a game cannot determine from the ATIP if it has been copied or not?

Greg

The liteon 52X cannot read atip.

As for overwriting it I don’t think it can be done.

Match more media on a liteon reader means it can read more discs from different manufactures better.

Ok, so how does the reader know it is dealing with a cd-r if it does not read the ATIP? (reflectivity)? How does it determine the cd manufacturer?

Greg

What KinDav said was that the 52X CD-ROM did not read the ATIP.

All CD-Writers reads it but “none” CD/DVD-ROM’s reads it.

A CD/DVD-ROM do not know if it’s a CD-R disc or not so the backup will work.

Originally posted by Gstanford
[B]Ok, so how does the reader know it is dealing with a cd-r if it does not read the ATIP? (reflectivity)? How does it determine the cd manufacturer?

Greg [/B]

Beats the hell out of me.

I just know that the 52X cannot read atip using cdridentifier or any thing else I have tried.

I would take a shot in the dark guess that the read strategy is just optimised better with new firmware and that in turn would give better results from cdr or pressed discs.

I don’t think english is one of Liteons better skills, therefore “match more media” could mean anything, I just give you my understanding of it.

Okay, thanks.

The reason I asked was that I don’t want to be back-stabbed by hardware I bought in the future.

I think it’s fairly obvious that the software industry would like cd readers to be able to read an ATIP if present and the “match more media” part of the firmware description sounded like the drive may use the ATIP to optimize itself for reading certain discs.

Maybe I’m being too paraniod.

Greg

@OC-Freak:

In de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.brenner, someone told me that the pioneer dvd-s03 - dvd-rom ist capable of reading ATIPs.

@KinDav:
I don’t think english is one of Liteons better skills,

Shouldn’t be too difficult to write something in english…but take it easy: you don’t believe how cruel pseudo-german can be!

All CD-Writers reads it but “none” CD/DVD-ROM’s reads it.

Yes, I’ve heared these rumours too, but never got them verified from reliable sources.