Question about anydvd when the new dvd formats come out

I was reading a post on afterdawn. Where soon new dvd formats will be coming out. HD-Dvds and blu-ray disk. And that the movie industry will use these formats. So people will not be able to copy there backups on these new formarts.

Will anydvd be able to do this when the new format comes out or no?

Don’t know about AnyDVD but i’m sure someone will figure out a way. Some people thrive on breaking copy protections.

Darn i was hoping anydvd would be able to. I really like the program

I didn’t say Slysoft’s AnyDVD would NOT be able to.

Hi :slight_smile:
AnyDVD :bow: haven’t failed us yet. So who knows. Maybe they’ll just cruise on through like a knife through butter. :bigsmile:

Is it not that the disc’s have changed (don’t know much about blu-ray etc.), not the proctection, even tho when it change’s, slysoft has come up with the goods

We will certainly investigate the new HD formats. But it will be a tough job, maybe it won’t be possible with drives made for PCs at all. As neither HD media with movies, nor drives with player software exist yet, any discussion is purely speculative.
The easiest way to make backup copies of HD movies will probably done like this:
Get a HD/BlueRay player with in built ethernet port (like the PS3). Hack the firmware using a “mod chip” having a ftp or http server in the hacked firmware (as it has been done with XBox and GameCube mods). Connect the player to the network, let it do all the super secret decryption and transfer the decrypted data over the ethernet port. I believe this approach is the one most likely to be successful.

Hi :slight_smile:
On the ball as ever James. :clap:

slysoft is probably one of the few people in this world with the knowledge to break AACS. They will have to get a few blu ray dvd players first, to see how the players work, and take the device ids and codes from them. Breaking AACS isn’t that easy at all.

Keys, codes and unplayable discs
Hollywood’s great hope in the war against DVD hacking is to launch soon. Barry Fox has some good and bad news

Barry Fox, Personal Computer World 18 Aug 2005

ADVERTISEMENT
Hollywood sees blue laser as a way to save face after DVD’s copy protection, CSS (Content Scrambling System), was defeated. A hacker simply sucked the encryption keys out of a legitimate player and grafted them into the DeCSS disc copy software. Using new keys on DVD discs would have made them unplayable on all existing players.

The DVD Forum, which backs HD-DVD blue laser, has now formally adopted the Advanced Access Content System (AACS), and the rival Blu-ray disc system is likely to use something similar. I set out to learn more about AACS.

AACS was developed by Intel, IBM, Panasonic, Microsoft, Sony, Toshiba, Disney and Warner. It is ‘renewable’ if hacked. It uses ‘broadcast encryption’ for one-way delivery of new keys, and revocation of hacked keys, without the need for a phone line.

Cryptography Research of San Francisco has been warning that this will leave some legitimate players unable to play some legitimate discs. So I asked the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), which represents the Hollywood studios, whether, after keys have been revoked, a player will still play old discs but not new ones? Or will it only play new discs, not old?

The MPAA didn’t know and referred my question to the AACS consortium. Here are the facts.

There will, of course, be two types of HD-DVD player: standalone boxes like today’s DVD players, and PC software players such as Windows Media Player or Real. All these players hold partial key codes that handshake with partial key codes on the movie discs to generate a full unscrambling key whenever a disc is put into a player.

Every copy of the same version PC player software has the same key. Although the software keys are well protected (by tamper-proofing the player software), the AACS guys know that anyone who extracts a key from a software player will then be able to use it to write DeAACS software. So every six months or so there will be ‘proactive renewal’ of software player keys. Users will be invited to download a new version of their PC player software, with new keys.

Then, after around three months, the old keys will be routinely revoked. People who have not updated their player software will be unable to play new discs.

If a software key is hacked and crops up in DeAACS disc-copying software, the key will be urgently revoked by issuing a new version of the PC player software with a fresh key. Users will be warned to download the new version or their PC player software will stop playing new discs.

new keys can be updated in soft ware players, but what about hardware players
ie like the ones in your living room
how will they be updated for the average joe shmoe or our dear granny

They won’t. I believe James’ suggestion of “hacking the firmware of a stand alone player” is pretty clever.

If it can be played, it can be copied. It’s something that media companies are gonna spend millions and millions of dollars on and somebody’s gonna have it beat within 6 months. Remember, ripguard was unbeatable.

maybe 6 months right at the start since the discs won’t be as common so demand to copy them won’t be as high as the entry price is so expensive, but once the technology has penetrated the market, I’ll give newer protections a week tops before it’s cracked.

ripguard was cracked within days of the first ripguarded discs hitting the market.

Remember people, when DVDs first came out (with encryption) they were “un-copyable” too. Still today, some company develops a new protection scheme and it’s broken sooner rather than later.

As they always say, if man can build it, a man can break it.

the 100% surefire best copy protection is always a damaged disc. there’s nothing more aggravating than a disc that’s scratched just enough to prohibit backing up, but not enough to affect play.

major movie companies obviously can’t hand out damaged discs, but I’m surprised more don’t experiment with controlled mastering errors as opposed to encryption schemes.

Mastering errors would be no different. If it can be played it can be copied.

@reasonsnotrules
probably they do not use a " scratch system" because of reading compatibility
The dvd must play in all dvdplayers that have paid the licensce fee to manufacture players.

The protection is to keep 90% of the people from cop… er archiving their disks

well i understand why they couldn’t scratch the discs, but how many times have you run into something with mastering errors that a program can’t bust through? if they could control the mastering errors they could eliminate copying.

the key is to balance between un-copyable and unplayable…i guess that is dangerous territory though for the same reason that damaging a disc would be. too many returns and pissed off customers.

and i bet sony will be the first to try it…they’ve been awfully good at pissing people off lately.

I’m not even worried about Blu Ray or HDD disks. It’s going to be a long long time before movies switch over to them without still being made on regular DVDs, I’d say at least 5 years. I could care less about those new formats for quite awhile.