Question about a 160P6S drive

I just retired an NEC 3520 and installed a LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S in an external USB 2.0 case. I have a few questions.

First question: I downloaded the bitsetting utility from Lite-On. Do I have to set the book type every burn or is it set it and forget it ???

Second question: Will I have any problems flashing Lite-On firmware to this drive where it’s in a USB 2.0 case ???

Would also appreciate any other info requarding this drive whereas I’m acustom to NEC DVD drives.

Thanks
Unisaw :bow: :clap:

For first question the answer should be “set and forget it”; you can verify easily: next time you restart your computer check with liteon tool what is the current setting. It should be as you leaved latest time.

Sorry, for second question I’m not completely sure. It should be possible to update from USB with every drive, but I’m not totally sure.

Guess I’ll have to try it… Hope I don’t screw it up !!!

regarding booktype you don’t need to worry.

Regarding firmware I suggest to wait for someone here can answer to your question.

It’s better wait a little than damage a drive :wink:

Anyone know of any good firmware website for this drive ???

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_firmware_dvd%20rw.asp

I meant patched/hacked firmware…

I haven’t seen or heard of any patched/hacked firmware for the 160PS yet.

The 5S and 6S series drives from Liteon are using a new method to compute the checksum for the firmware. At the present time, it is impossible for anyone to patch the firmware. Watch the OmniPatcher thread (stickied at the top of this (Liteon) subforum). When CodeKing figures it out, news should appear there first.