Question about 7200A firmware

vbimport

I see that the latest official firmware for the 7200A is 1.08. I also see that the MCSE page says that it supports 1.01/1.05 for the 7200A. Would I be able to use MCSE on 1.08?

Also, I see that Liggy and Dee have made several custom firmwares for the 7200A. Is there any reason to not use the latest 1.Z3 firmware - is it suitable for everyone, or is it only for advanced users who know what they are getting into?

latest official firmware is recommended.

MCSE change log does only indicate 1.01/1.05? strange?

modified 1.Z* firmware is for overspeeding purposes and only modifies a limited amount of MIDs.

i do like to use Bitsetting firmware and Readspeed patches. stock firmware has good write speed strategies. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=sl_dvd;2159167]I see that the latest official firmware for the 7200A is 1.08. I also see that the MCSE page says that it supports 1.01/1.05 for the 7200A. Would I be able to use MCSE on 1.08?

Also, I see that Liggy and Dee have made several custom firmwares for the 7200A. Is there any reason to not use the latest 1.Z3 firmware - is it suitable for everyone, or is it only for advanced users who know what they are getting into?[/QUOTE]

1. MCSE will work on any firmware that it works on. In other words, just load the firmware into MCSE and if you see the clickable options, then it’s compatible. The change log doesn’t always get updated each time there’s a new firmware. If it’s broke, you’ll know it.

2. The custom firmwares are only for advanced users who know what they are doing. Stock NEC firmware is fine as it is. The only firmware I would suggest you use are the “bt” firmwares that allow bitsetting of +R media. The “Z” firmware should be left alone until you become more familiar with the drive and have a reason to use it. Too many people just start loading hacked firmware without having a clue or even any need for it.

[QUOTE=troy512;2159172]
i do like to use Bitsetting firmware and Readspeed patches. stock firmware has good write speed strategies. :)[/QUOTE]

which is why Liggy’s “bt” additions are perfect - solid write strategies with the bit-setting abilities

to the orig poster - i have been using liggy’s 1.06 based bt firmware for my 7200-S since i 1st strarted using this drive - works great with diff media.

waiting on Liggy’s bt updated 1.08 .