Quest for the Longest Thread on CD Freaks!

vbimport

Fired up an old laptop, boom, Myce magically appeared. Been a long time, glad to see so many still here.

Hi, Jethro! Hope all is well with you! :flower:

[QUOTE=vroom;2771917]I haven’t posted here for a long time, so I will continue asking, are we there yet?[/QUOTE]
Hey, two greeks on the same page of the Quest, we should be there already

My mother was looking for non-stick spray for her cake pans and was looking through the reviews on Amazon for a Wilton cake release spray until she stumbled upon this one.

Yeah . . . :smiley:

[B]"[I]…two cats fighting can make easily as much noise a forty dogs…but then the cats have lots to complain about…[/I]’’

• Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)
    [/B]

^ :bow: Douglas Adams :bow:

This is not my work, but I wished I had put it together.

The young woman who submitted the tech support message below (about her relationship to her husband) presumably did it as a joke. Then she got a reply that was way too good to keep to herself. The tech support people’s love advice was hilarious and genius!

The query:

Dear Tech Support,

Last year I upgraded from Boyfriend 5.0 to Husband 1.0 and noticed a distinct slowdown in overall system performance, particularly in the flower and jewellery applications, which operated flawlessly under Boyfriend 5.0. In addition, Husband 1.0 uninstalled many other valuable programs, such as Romance 9.5 and Personal Attention 6.5, and then installed undesirable programs such as: NBA 5.0, NFL 3.0 and Golf Clubs 4.1.

Conversation 8.0 no longer runs, and House cleaning 2.6 simply crashes the system. Please note that I have tried running Nagging 5.3 to fix these problems, but to no avail.

What can I do?

Signed, Desperate

The response (that came weeks later out of the blue);

Dear Desperate,

First keep in mind, Boyfriend 5.0 is an Entertainment Package, while Husband 1.0 is an operating system. Please enter command: I thought you loved me.html and try to download Tears 6.2. Do not forget to install the Guilt 3.0 update. If that application works as designed, Husband 1.0 should then automatically run the applications Jewellery 2.0 and Flowers 3.5.

However, remember, overuse of the above application can cause Husband 1.0 to default to Grumpy Silence 2.5, Happy Hour 7.0, or Beer 6.1. Please note that Beer 6.1 is a very bad program that will download Snoring Loudly Beta version. Whatever you do, DO NOT, under any circumstances, install Mother-In-Law 1.0 as it runs a virus in the background that will eventually seize control of all your system resources.

In addition, please do not attempt to re-install the Boyfriend 5.0 program. These are unsupported applications and will crash Husband 1.0. In summary, Husband 1.0 is a great program, but it does have limited memory and cannot learn new applications quickly. You might consider buying additional software to improve memory and performance. We recommend Cooking 3.0.

"Obituary printed in the London Times:

An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly rather true.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

• Knowing when to come in out of the rain

• Why the early bird gets the worm

• Life isn’t always fair

• and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;

I Know My Rights

I Want It Now

Someone Else Is To Blame

I’m A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing."

^ :iagree: Common Sense, you will be missed :sad:

I will do a pilgrimage and put :flower::flower: on your grave every year and hope that once the wheels of time has turned enough millennial pages, you can finally be resurrected. :iagree:

Many of us have wondered what happened to Common Sense, as he’s not been seen for a while. We were hoping that he’d make it, but odds were not on his side. R.I.P.

Even in this hour of grief, please allow me to make an honorable mention of Truth, Trust, Discretion, Responsibility and Reason mentioned above, who sadly did not last as long… You will all be dearly missed, I trust Common Sense’ grave will be next to yours :flower:

In loving memory

Xercus
:iagree:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2772269]^ :bow: Douglas Adams :bow:[/QUOTE]
Then you’ll love this - free & legal: :cool:

The CD-Rom version is the only unabridged audio book version available, read by Douglas of course (+some extras, including a discussion/argument between Douglas & Richard Dawking). Had it running successfully last year in a Windows XP VM. Or you can just listen to the WAV files & view the photos straight from the discs.

The BBC [S]has[/S] [I]had[/I] the original radio series to listen to on their web site. It was still working in 2014, but broke sometime last year. :sad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lastchancetosee/sites/about/

[QUOTE=Ibex;2772544]Then you’ll love this - free & legal: :cool:

The CD-Rom version is the only unabridged audio book version available, read by Douglas of course (+some extras, including a discussion/argument between Douglas & Richard Dawking). Had it running successfully last year in a Windows XP VM. Or you can just listen to the WAV files & view the photos straight from the discs.

The BBC [S]has[/S] [I]had[/I] the original radio series to listen to on their web site. It was still working in 2014, but broke sometime last year. :sad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lastchancetosee/sites/about/[/QUOTE]
Pretty much HHGTTG nutcase, but I generally love his humor, thanks for the link.

Fwiw, I worked with a student from England back in the day and traded my ‘RASA - Universal Forum’ for the Complete BBC radio series Hitchhikers… Coming from Monty Python, this made perfect sense :bigsmile:
I think I was the first to have it in this country, but I did my best ‘spreading the word’ :flower: Today I have it on CD in various editions as well while clinging on to ‘the original tapes’ (C60 or C90 Agfa Ferro if I’m not mistaken).

Last Chance to See is probably the best book he ever wrote. His writing is fantastic. :iagree::bow:

I try to ration myself to listening to them only once a year. (I joined & converted the CD-Rom 8-bit WAV files to MP3 and recorded the radio version, because the BBC can’t be trusted these days.) And by sheer coincidence, it’s that time again… :smiley:

The chapter titles are brilliant, although you have to know the book to fully appreciate the humour:

Chapter 2 - Here Be Chickens [Komodo Dragon]
Chapter 6 - Rare or Medium Rare [Rodrigues flying fox]

The only audio book versions are a 2 cassette abridged and the CD-Rom. Technically the CD-Rom audio isn’t entirely unabridged - there is supposed to be a tiny bit missing. But IIRC, it is [I]two entire chapters[/I] longer than the first edition of the book. :eek:

Douglas famously loved deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they made as they flew past.

After the trip he & Mark Carwarding retired to the south of France to write the book. Eventually, after countless delays & missed deadlines, the publisher had enough and wrestled what had been written from him (perhaps literally).

A couple of species from the radio series are missing - Juan Fernández fur seal & Amazonian manatee. But then again it does include a chapter on their trip to Zaire in search of Mountain Gorillas & the Northern White Rhino, which was omitted from the radio series.

For the species which feature in both, the book usually tells a very different story from the radio version.

Has anyone ever got to Mordor using common sense?

^ as long as you don’t forget to you bring your towel, no problem :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2773282]Has anyone ever got to Mordor using common sense?[/QUOTE]
Has anyone with common sense ever tried to get to Mordor? ;):bigsmile:

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2773282]Has anyone ever got to Mordor using common sense?[/QUOTE]
wow! iamrocket posted! Did we reach Mordor or what?

It;s been more than 5 years that I changed my location to “IMF’s little bitch” and I am still stuck in the same place… bummer

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2773295]It;s been more than 5 years that I changed my location to “IMF’s little bitch” and I am still stuck in the same place… bummer[/QUOTE]
wow! 3 posts by Hemi in the same thread! We definitely reached Mordor