Quality vs. Cost

I guess a pretty stupid question with an answer that is as long as a piece of string, but at what point does a cheap CD deal become too cheap?

I was thinking of:[I](Silver top and bottom - 12x certified)
These discs have a pure silver top surface AND and pure silver bottom surface (Pure Silver dye similar to a pressed CD)

These discs are certified as 12x. They may burn faster on some CD Writers.

We only have 200,000 of these discs, so we are putting a limit of 300 discs per customer per order to prevent other resellers from buying them all.

Shipping cost will be calculated and displayed by the website before you finalise your order.
[/I]

It costs a few £ less than 48x CDs. I read that there is a poor correlation between CD speed and quality.

But presumably, there is a strong correlation between quality and cost (inversely so). Also, I am speculating here, but that they have a limited stock also seems suspicious - if it was from a reputable & reliable source, there would be a continuous (instead of batch) supply.

Is it best to go for CD deals that are a few rungs above the cheapest deal?

Also, is it better to go for high quality CDs for audio, and lower quality ones for data as data CDs allegedly have an additional layer of integrity checks?

The most expensive CDR is the one that fails. If you don’t care if they fail, get whatever you like. If you depend on them, get what works well with your drive and ignore the price.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The most expensive CDR is the one that fails. If you don’t care if they fail, get whatever you like. If you depend on them, get what works well with your drive and ignore the price.

In those cases, MO and DVD-RAM would be a much better choice.
Or even Compact Flash…