Quality-patched 832S firmware for 451S, 851S, 812S, 832S (current: CG4E/R2)

vbimport

<HR>

Thread closed

Due to the released of CG5E/CY58 in this [thread=107103]new thread[/thread].
<HR>
CG4E - Quality Patched Firmware
The Official Thread

What is it
CGxx firmware is the latest 832S Liteon firmware that has been patched to improve burn quality by optimising shift points and by implementing a stepped recalibrate. The stepped recalibrate stops the burn periodically to recalibrate, which means shorter periods where the drive has to maintain the correct optical power control. From CG4x onwards both +R/W and -R/W have the recalibrate feature. All speeds are supported (2x-8x).

As before, PLEASE don’t rush out and try your worst media overclocked to the max. Let’s start off by displaying scans of media at it’s rated speed, Ricoh R01 being the exception.

New Features in CG4x
1/ Optimised force shift
2/ Optimised -R/+R shift points
3/ Optimised recalibrate
4/ Faster burning (compared to CG3x)
5/ Stepped recalibrate for DVD-R/W

Changes in CG4x/R2
Fixed DVD-RW format issue

Media Changes
1/ RICOHJPNR01 increased to 8x burn speed
2/ RICOHJPNR01 fallback disabled
3/ MCC02RG20 fallback disabled

More information
Please read the documentation enclosed in the package, for more details. The old CG3x thread can be found [thread=121345]here[/thread].

Drives supported
LDW-451S, LDW-851S, SOHW-812S, SOHW-832S, DRU-700A, OEM drives based on the same Liteon hardware

Notes

• This firmware is experimental and is not supported or condoned by the drive manufacturer. You will void your drive’s warranty if you use this firmware.
  • The drive’s light will blink orange more often during the burn and some additional PIF spikes are inevitable on some drives, due to the relinking after the recalibrate.

<hr>Download: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-832S
<hr>

CG4E Scan Results
In the past I’ve been given a hard time for always showing Liteon favourite media, so this time I have made a point of using average media for the test results. :wink:

The CMCMAGE01 had a burn time of 8:53. Other media will shift to 8x even sooner then this burn, but leadin time variation can affect the burn time.

CMCMAGE01 +R and SKC Co.,Ltd. -R

VS0E Scan Results
This is the same media and drive using VS0E. These tests were also repeated with very similar results.

The CMCMAGE01 had a burn time of 9:01.

CMCMAGE01 +R and SKC Co.,Ltd. -R

Thread split because it was getting too long (it was over 950 posts ;)).

If you wish to reference the old posts…
Old thread CG3x (split on 2005/01/06): [thread]121345[/thread]

The thread ID is not affected by this, so there is no need to update any links.

Thanks, CodeGuys for your tireless work on this project! This is really appreciated by all the readers and users. Keep up the good work.
Cheers BlackWolf :slight_smile:

Yes thanks very much codeguys :bow: i shall get my 851s flashed as soon as this flamin films finished converting

EDIT - i also see its been optimised for -R aswell :smiley: :bigsmile:

Cheers guys, thanks a bunch!

The firmware does not seem to be on your site?!?
Still showing the cg3e as the newest fimware.

Click on this
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/832S.CG4E.patched-cf.rar

Just flashed all looks good so far just scanning a disc not burned anything yet

I’ve got DVD-RW 451@832 actually bios CG3E and i’ve got problem with burning Platinum+R 8x from RICOH 02.

My problem is when i burn this discs with speed 8x, i’ve got lots of PI/PIF errors max 138/max 14. With speed 6x i’ve got errors PI/PIF max 50/max 7.

What strategy i must use for this discs ??

thanx for info :iagree:
and for new firmware form Codeguys :bow:

@icemac
Flash to CG4E, do a reset learn (once) with the [thread=112103]EEPROM Utility v2[/thread] and see if there is any improvement after a couple of burns. :wink:

I can use EEPROM UTILITY, but Verbatim from MCC2 are burned verry good,

and when i use this program the discs from verbatim will be burned good too

maybe not for english :wink:

It’s hard to say if the MCC002 will be any worse or better ;). Just backup your EEPROM first, so you can always go back to where you are now; or just try CG4E without the reset learn…

thx
i’ll try CG4E and then i’ll do reset EEPROM (after backup :wink: ) in my DVD-RW.

I write tomorow what i’ve done :slight_smile:

Thanks very much indeed for the new firmware. I have a couple of questions (forgive my ignorance!)
a)Are the optimisations applied to any and all makes of media or only specific makes? I use Verbatim disks and have been using CG3E since it was released but have not noticed the drive flashing yellow (recalibrating) although I might just be because I dont stare at the drive for the whole burn.
b)Are DL disk burns optimised?
c)On installing new firmwares for my 851 external WindowsXP seems to think I have a completely new drive. Will I eventually have to re-activate Windows because it considers I have made too many hardware changes?

Thanks for any answers.

c)On installing new firmwares for my 851 external WindowsXP seems to think I have a completely new drive. Will I eventually have to re-activate Windows because it considers I have made too many hardware changes?

Very unlikely especially with it being external but with the standard versions of XP you never know quite where you stand im afraid, it should only ask for a reactivation after you change something like the CPU or motherboard but i have heard of cases where its asked for a reactivation after a change of network card.

EDIT - also if it needed a reactivation it would have told you straight away after the change

All makes. If your Verbatim is +R, then with CGxE, the light will flash briefly yellow every 1 minute or so.

b)Are DL disk burns optimised?

Yes.

No, it has to be a significant change to a system, at one time, to cause this. :wink:

@C0deKing
great work, but can you make such optimized firmware for the 1653s series?
or a generic patcher to run the firmware through?!

The burning code in 3S firmware is quite different to 2S firmware because of CAV burning, but I would like to look at it in the future. :wink:

in very near future i hope… :slight_smile: