Quality of uploaded pictures

vbimport

I use a program called Snagit to capture screens, or sections of the screen so that I can post pictures in threads. They are in jpeg format. On my computer, after capture, they are sharp and easily read. Once I upload them onto this site, they become so blurry as to be illegible.

This was not the case in the past. Has something changed in the way pictures are posted?

Is there something I can do to remedy this?

There used to be a maximum size in kilobytes as well as a maximum width, and anything above that was resized.

Are you uploading big or wide images?

Here is an example of my latest attempt. They don’t seem to be excessively large. I was wrong about the format that Snagit captures in though…turns out to be .png.

I’ve found a setting in Snagit to increase dpi, so I’ll try that next time I have to use it on the forum.

Actually Kerry I have been wondering the same thing to. Things that I have been uploading lately are on the maximum requirement allow for upload, yet they are being cut to a 1/3 of the size.

:cool::cool:

Kerry I checked the link & Properties shows the images you posted as JPEG & .jpg.
I guess it is possible the new site is converting them from .png.
I don’t have Snagit.Would it help if I did a screen capture & posted it.
I posted these yesterday thet were .jpg all the way never .png or anything else.They are not from a website though.
http://club.myce.com/f57/cue-creation-303731/#post2460255
If there is anything I can make an image of & post to see if it works better for me let me know.

Thanks cholla. I took a hint from your post and tried making the images as jpeg in Snagit. So I’ve replaced the original shots with these jpeg images.

I also zoomed in to the relevant areas instead of doing a full screen capture. The result is more legible, but still not as good as I remember from the past when uploading pictures here at cdfreaks.

QUOTE=Kerry56;2461331The result is more legible, but still not as good as I remember from the past when uploading pictures here at cdfreaks.[/QUOTE]What happens if you switch the style from MyCe beta to CDfreaks 2.0 or vice versa?

Max image width is 800 pixels, anything larger than this will be converted to .JPG and resized to 800 pixels wide.
It’s the forum software that does this. We may be able to increase this, but 800 pixels wide is already too wide for the CDF V2 style.
This also is not new, it has been set lower than this for quite some time, it’s actually a new feature of the upgraded version of VB, one that doesn’t seem to be able to be switched off. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2461397]This also is not new, it has been set lower than this for quite some time, it’s actually a new feature of the upgraded version of VB, one that doesn’t seem to be able to be switched off. :)[/QUOTE]

That’s true. :wink: In previous vBulletin versions, I remember I use to get an error if I tried uploading an image larger than the allowed width or KB size.

Another thing to watch out for is that if the upload KB size exceeds the allowed size, it will also be compressed to jpeg. I had this issue when trying to insert pictures into my camera guide and couldn’t figure out why they didn’t look as nice as the originals until I realised they were over 100KB. vBulletin unfortunately uses very poor compression, which means that if it recompresses the image, it will most certainly ruin the quality as what happens here when oversized PNGs are converted to JPEG.

I think Sean has exposed the real culprit, which is the poor compression used by vBulletin. The jpeg images I made with Snagit in my second attempt are much, much better than what I’m seeing on the forum.

One of them is 947 x 833…a very odd size, but when capturing by hand with Snagit, I don’t expect normal sizes. But this means the forum software is resizing and compressing, and doing a very bad job of it.

Sorry[B] mciahel[/B], didn’t mean to ignore your question. The fuzziness seems to be accentuated by the MyCE styles, but that may just be an optical illusion.

The ultra light sides next to the posts and minimal borders on the edges just makes it look worse.

I’ve found when modt sites do a resize to quality suffers.
I always try to match the max size in kb’s or smaller.
The Manage Attachments window does have the max width size of 800.
That would be why Kerry56’s images were resized to the 800 width & changed to .jpg.When I made the comparison copies I sized the to match before I posted them .That would be why they were a little sharper & retained their file type.
I didn’t see a height max so I guess a member could post a tall & very narrow image.