Quality of those Verbatims

vbimport

Hi,

I just bought 2x100 DVD-R’s from Verbatim:

http://www.cdrohlinge24.de/angebotverbatimdvdr47gb16x100stckincakebox-p-5339.html

I’m a little bit confused now. First of all they are made in Taiwan. So I wanted to check the quality of verbatim made in taiwan and so I found on the german wikipedia version something I don’t really understand.

First of all the CD-Information I get with Nero CD-DVD Speed:

Then I read on wikipedia that there are 2 codes on the disc you can read (on the surface):
The stamper code and a code on the inner ring.
The stamper code is: ZD9955-DVR-J47F4
That seems so far ok, because it is said in the article the code of Verbatim is ZD…-DVR-…
But than the code in the inner ring (it’s on the plastic in the middle, hardly readable) confuses me.
Here is what it is said about the inner ring on wikipedia (I translated it for you):

My inner ring is like the second one (9 numbers - 9 numbers). So is it said being made by the manufactor prodisc??? But the media ID says it is made by the manufactor MMC (Mitsubishi Chemical Coop.)

I’m now confused…what kind of discs do I have here and what is the quality?
On this list I found the media code but not under “prodisc”, that is what confuses me:

Is is mentioned the MCC03RG20 under Mitsubishi Chemicals/Verbatim country Singapore, Taiwan, India … so far it would be ok…but that prodisc confuses me very much.

Many thanks for answers that can tell me if I had bought good quality media or crap :bow:

EDIT: PS: This is the “DVD Identifier” result:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Hi Jaydon. Verbatim/Mitsubishi outsource the manufacture of most of their discs. Prodisc is one of those outsourcing manufacturers, and they make genuine Verbatim MCC 03RG20 media using Mitsubishi technology and Mitsubishi media codes.

Prodisc also make disc using their own media codes, including some CD-R media for Verbatim.

Hi,

so the prodisc Verbatims are good quality?:bow:

The quality varies more from batch to batch than from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Yes the Prodisc Verbatims are good.

[QUOTE=Jaydon;1996044]Hi,

so the prodisc Verbatims are good quality?:bow:[/QUOTE]

Been good for me so far :slight_smile:

Whats better, MIT, CMC made or Prodisc made Verbs?

[QUOTE=nickyboy4;1996782]Whats better, MIT, CMC made or Prodisc made Verbs?[/QUOTE]

Depends. Both can have good and bad batches. I find with MCC004 that CMC is better but with -R it’s pretty even IMO.

Old batches (made in 2005, 2006) are better than new ones, regardless manufacture.

hm mine are from 2007. Are there other manufactorers of Verbatim DVD-R’s than CMC, prodisc or Moser Baer India? Or are all Verbatims made in Taiwan and India?

:cop:

[QUOTE=Jaydon;1997829]hm mine are from 2007. Are there other manufactorers of Verbatim DVD-R’s than CMC, prodisc or Moser Baer India? Or are all Verbatims made in Taiwan and India?

:cop:[/QUOTE]

Yes. Unless you get the “Pearl White” series (clearly labelled on the packaging, and usually a Europe-only thing), in which case you can add Ritek as a manufacturer.

[quote=Jaydon;1997829]hm mine are from 2007. Are there other manufactorers of Verbatim DVD-R’s than CMC, prodisc or Moser Baer India? Or are all Verbatims made in Taiwan and India?

:cop:[/quote] [quote=Arachne;1997875]Yes. Unless you get the “Pearl White” series (clearly labelled on the packaging, and usually a Europe-only thing), in which case you can add Ritek as a manufacturer.[/quote] There’s also Verbatim DVDs made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan (using Taiyo Yuden media codes) available in Europe.

Verbatim DVDs made by RiTEK using RiTEK media codes available in some countries in Latin America.

Verbatim DVDs using Sony media codes (manufacturer???) available in South Africa.

There might be others I don’t know of or don’t remember.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1997890]There’s also Verbatim DVDs made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan (using Taiyo Yuden media codes) available in Europe.

Verbatim DVDs made by RiTEK using RiTEK media codes available in some countries in Latin America.

Verbatim DVDs using Sony media codes (manufacturer???) available in South Africa.

There might be others I don’t know of or don’t remember.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Drage, didn’t know about the ones using Sony codes though! Learn something new every day, hehe :wink:

And I seriously can’t believe I forgot TY-made Verbies - aarrrgh! :wink:

The Verbatim brand TY -R - 8X TYG02, 16X TYG03 are Grade B TY.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1997890]Verbatim DVDs made by RiTEK using RiTEK media codes available in some countries in Latin America.[/QUOTE]

About 1,5 year ago there were legit Verbatim media with Ritek code (RitekG05!!!) quite widespread here in Slovakia and Czech republic…

[quote=geekrule;1998224]The Verbatim brand TY -R - 8X TYG02, 16X TYG03 are Grade B TY.[/quote] You could be right about the 16x TY being B grade - there have been many disappointing results with Verbatim branded 16x TY (+ and -) on these forums.

I’m not so sure about the Verbatim branded 8x TY being B grade; they haven’t been available for a long time, at least not around here, but the Verbatim 8x DVD-R (TYG02) that I have are my best TYG02. The few Verbatim 8x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T02) were also very good.

[quote=pepst;1998284]About 1,5 year ago there were legit Verbatim media with Ritek code (RitekG05!!!) quite widespread here in Slovakia and Czech republic…[/quote] Perhaps you’re thinking of the “Pearl White” series of Verbatim 8x DVD±R media? Those were CMC and RiTEK media codes and were also available in other Euopean countries.