Quality of Dvd media and burner quality

vbimport

I am scanning 20,000 slides from the last 40 years and want to store them on DVD media. What is the media with the longer archival life as I will have hundreds of hours invested and want to store them so they don’t deteriorate over time. I also saw an ad out of a professional firm that does this work and they advertised they use a professional burner that makes a better image. Is there a difference in the quality burners put on the media or are they all the same? If some are better give a couple of examples of top of the line quality. Speed is not as important as quality.

[QUOTE=kelair;2577597]I am scanning 20,000 slides from the last 40 years and want to store them on DVD media. What is the media with the longer archival life as I will have hundreds of hours invested and want to store them so they don’t deteriorate over time. I also saw an ad out of a professional firm that does this work and they advertised they use a professional burner that makes a better image. Is there a difference in the quality burners put on the media or are they all the same? If some are better give a couple of examples of top of the line quality. Speed is not as important as quality.[/QUOTE]

Yes, quality of media will make a difference for the burning to the media I would go with Verbatim DVD+R DL as that is usually the better source. As for the burner I would choose either liteon or LG or Plextor for the burner. Also that will depend on what software you plan to use to burn to the media as well could affect how and the quality of burns also the speed of the burns makes a difference burning to fast could cause problem in playback and burning to media. A good advice if you plan on burning something which is CPU and Memory and HDD intensive resource to let it finish doing that before doing anything else. I would say never multitask while it is burning only after your done with that project then do what your doing next. Speed is just as important as quality of the media and to insure longevity in your burn so you can still access the media in the future. Speed and Quality go hand in hand when burning media.

Verbatim is certainly the best quality DL media available, but I would not recommend double layer dvds as an archival medium.

Though it would take more disks, I would use single layer Taiyo Yuden 8x +R disks, which can be found at online shops like rima.com or supermediastore.com if you are in the US.

You can safely burn these Taiyo Yuden 8x disks at 8x speed. A second choice would be Verbatim 16x disks that use the AZO dye (not the Life Series Verbatim). Burn them at 8x or 12x.

As far as choices for burners, most of them will burn this high quality media pretty well.

Have you considered a secondary form of backup, perhaps on an external hard drive that is not used for anything else? Test the hard drive periodically to make sure the data is still accessible.

My inclination would be to use single layer Verbatim 8x -R (Azo) discs or, if you can’t get those, single layer Taiyo Yuden 8x -R discs. Either should burn well on just about any burner and, if stored properly, keep for many years.

You might also back them up to a hard drive too. Hard Drives are as cheap (cheaper) as blank DVDs these days and that’s just an extra insurance.

I agree with Kerry56 & olyteddy suggestion for putting this data on a hard drive.
With the time you are putting in maybe on two hard drives . That would almost guarantee the data would be safe. You can even take this further & keep one of the hard drives in a fire safe.
Last another backup to some online storage.

I don’t know if I’m repeating Oldteddy & Kerry56 or they are repeating me, but for the record I got comfortable on this forum because the philosophy
of other members agrees with my own

I personal have harddrives from the windows 3.1 era that are still perfectly readable after 15+ years in a file cabinet.

I’ve given up on optical media for archival purposes as uneconomical
considering either time or finances

Storing the data on a HDD is FAR faster (both reading and writing) far more economical

I personally prefer Desktop drives rather than the more expensive (and slower) Notebook drives or purpose made external drives

Not to mention that connecting the drive directly to your computer greatly speeds the transfer rate

Compare the price of a 100disc spindle pack of QUALITY DVD+R discs to a 320gb or 500gb 3.5" desktop HDD (on sale)

AD