Quality of audio burning (BLER, DAE)

I have a Memorex 24/10/40. I make music, so it’s vital that the music i burn is perfect.
By that I mean BLER and others - (BLock Error Rate)

Two questions arise:
1.Should I burn SLOWER than 8x and in that case how?
(the minimum setting for the drive is 8x).
2.How can I check that the music is a 100% copy of my WAV file?

Can’t seem to find a thread concerning this issue.
:slight_smile:

First, you should use a good quality CD-R (there is a topic on this, my personal favourite is Philips silver premium)

Second, burning at a lower speed will make it more likely for no errors to appear on your backup. You can accomplish this in any burn program. You can set the recording speed to either 1x,2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, 12x, 16x, 24x (perhaps even more choices or fewer choices, depending on what the burner can handle).

Some programs have incorporated a error checking tool, but there are also stand alone tools for this. One of them is CDR Diagnostic. Don’t know who makes it or where to download it, but on www.download.com or www.Tucows.com (or else www.google.com) you can probably find this. This program can check how many errors are burnt on your CD.

The quality of the WAV should never be compromised, for it is digital already and it is burnt onto CD digitally (all ones and zeros), so the only thing you should have to worry about is the amount of errors that is burnt on CD, which you can check with above-mentioned tool.

For Audio burning there are several really good programs. Earlier today I read someone recommending WinOnCD 5.0 (it is from Roxio now). Feurio from Ahead is a program specifically designed for audio burning. I think you should check both out.

To start your search on burning programs you could try this site:
www.cdrsoft.cc (beware the popups though)

Originally posted by Da_Taxman

Second, burning at a lower speed will make it more likely for no errors to appear on your backup. You can accomplish this in any burn program. You can set the recording speed to either 1x,2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, 12x, 16x, 24x (perhaps even more choices or fewer choices, depending on what the burner can handle).

I read in a dutch pc magazine somthing about burning and error’s and it was stated there that with the quality of the burners and the media you should burn at the highest speed possible.
Of course you should always use the best media for the backups.
For long lasting backup perhaps the Basf Ceram’s? (special protective layer). They are expensive.
Silver premiums from philips are normally recommended

Originally posted by Crowley
I read in a dutch pc magazine somthing about burning and error’s and it was stated there that with the quality of the burners and the media you should burn at the highest speed possible.

Wonder what magazine that was, since it contradicts everything I have learned in the past years…but then again, I am out of the computer business for more than half a year now…

Rather do a tax return (and save money of course) than build my own PC :wink:

Thanx for the tips, I’ll check out those programs!

The thing is that every burning program i have tried states that i can only burn 8X, 12X, 16X, 2X and 24X.
That means NO LOWER that 8X!
How can I burn at slow speed then?
hehe, that’s a though one huh?

Every burner is actually designed for a certain optimal recording speed.
So if it’s designed for 4x, the recordings will be of poorer quality at 2x and 8x.
In that way it’s maybe true that one should allways burn at the highest speed (the most optimal for the drive?).

But how can I know what speed is the best?
hmmmmm

Peace!

/Daniel

looking at latest discussions,the only difference noted is the “jitter” of digital data when you write at higher speed
then,lower speed=less jitter
the only writer without this problem is new crw 3200 by yamaha
(read about at www.cdrinfo.com)

BUT remember:to see difference you need a scope or a very high-end hifi system,you do not hear ANY difference…

happy 2002!

:smiley: