Quality loss while converting DRM .wma

vbimport

Hi,
I just purchased Daniusoft’s Media Converter ver. 2.5.5.0 and am pleased with its performance. My problem is that when I convert my DRM wma to .mp3 I can notice a loss in quality. I listen to mainly rock music, so I can hear lots of crackling when it gets to those louder guitar parts. I know converting from one lossy format to the other is a factor. Would it be better to convert drm wma to regular wma, or convert to wav then back to wma be better? Thanks in advance!:slight_smile:

Hello smokin101, welcome to the forums.

Your question would probably be best answered in the Audio forum, so I’m going to move it there. Not many people here use the Daniusoft software, so you may get suggestions for other programs to do this process.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=smokin101;2458459]Hi,
I just purchased Daniusoft’s Media Converter [/quote]Well, I wouldn’t expect anything from a company that is spamming the forums all over the web.

My problem is that when I convert my DRM wma to .mp3 I can notice a loss in quality. (…) I know converting from one lossy format to the other is a factor.
That’s the problem. The rest of quality goes south after converting from one lossy format to another. The DRM may add its own part to that quality loss.
Convert one of these wma files to uncompressed wav and see if there are the same audible distortions.

Michael

Would it be better to convert drm wma to regular wma, or convert to wav then back to wma be better?

Better to [I]not[/I] convert/trancode from lossy–>to lossy(ier) of course!..
And it won’t make any difference when going from WMA–> WAV–>mp3, than going directly from wma to mp3…
Try a different format, AAC for instance…Maybe the distortions will be less-audible…
Load the wma’s in iTunes and convert to AAC/m4a 256k, or even ALAC…Worth a shot…

Thanks for the replies, will definitely give those a shot. I like daniusoft simply because it doesn’t record from your soundcard, tunebite for example, just converts like any ordinary program.

You might seek out a prog called ‘Fair Use Wizard’. It can remove the DRM without re-encoding but has certain needs to make it work. Of course it probably only works on [B]purchased[/B], not [B]rented[/B] music, eh?