Quality Level Worth Copy?

vbimport

I am trying to copy three movies using the latest versions of CloneDVD and AnyDVD. The problem is, all three come up as being less than 70% on the quality bar. Does that mean their picture quality won’t be good enough for me to bother to copy them? This is after I get rid all the extra’s, subtitles, audio preferences, and menus. The three films are listed below. Please advise, I’d like to be able to back all three up, but not if their quality isn’t worth it.

The Pianist
Point Break
Scent of a Woman

This is not something that can be answered for you. Why? Because everyone has differing opinions on what’s an acceptable level of compression. My advice to you, however, is to get a couple DVD RW’s, copy the movies, and test the results yourself. If you don’t like the quality, no harm done…just erase the disc. If you do, simply write it to a perament disc. Someone with a 25" standard definition tv connected to a dvd player with ancient rca cables isn’t going to notice one way or another. Somone with a 60" Sony plasma tv and progressive scan dvd player connected via component cables will probably notice anything below 80% or so. Maybe. Hell, most of us grew up watching tapes on vcr’s, so, your tolerance level could be much lower…

Try it, see what it looks like, and THEN determine if the quality is too low.

@SamuriHL

Thanks for offering your suggestion. Anyone else with some thoughts?

With CloneDVD2, I have never had any problems with quality if it is 55% or more. It is up to you though.

With the price of dvd media, it’s worth a chance to copy the movie and see for your self if it’s of acceptable quality for you, if not it’s only 20p-35p wasted, not a lot of money.

@ DJDVD,

For what its worth I have viewed a couple of CloneDVD 60% produced backed copies on a 31-inch TV and my family and I couldn’t tell the difference from the original DVD.

Perchance have you just included only on audio stream to decrease the compression level? It might be helpful to view the below Forum posting. Comments in posting #6 provide information on identifying the audio streams on a DVD.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=139157

Best Regards,
bjkg

@bjkj

Yes, I only check one audio stream for all my backups. Usually its the AC-3/6 or if they are old /2. But I will go for it and see what the quality looks like at 60% and better.

Thanks!

DJDVD

As others have said either use a DVD RW or a good brand DVD+, DVD-media and test for yourself, the media is cheap enough.

I myself have A Sony 50" LCD with a Zenith DVD stand alone that will play the DVD’s
at 1080 resolution. I have copies some movies that were in the 50% range that displayed almost as good if not as good as the original. My untrained eye could not tell the difference in many cases.

If the quality issue is bothersome for you and you really want the best quality you have the option with Clone DVD to split the movie into two DVD’s and you will lose no quality. Only thing you’ll lose is a few pounds off your butt when you have to get out of your seat to insert the second DVD, as well as the price for the second disk.

Well, I am extremely lazy, itzbinnice, so I have a five dvd changer.:slight_smile:

stracham
LOL, well you won’t ever have the quality issue problem if you’re willing to spring for the extra disk. While you’re up put Disk1 in one player, then Disk 2 in another, and voila, let your fingers rather than your legs do the walking with the remote.

Or you can always spend the big bucks and get the DL disks.

My, MY, Gone are the days when we had to go outside to fetch water or take a dump.

Down here in Mississippi we still have some wells and outhouses around.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Yeah, that’s good, and a lot less stress too.

@ DJDVD,
If you are really concerned with quality you should try DVD Rebuilder Here.
Rip as you usually do, but uncompressed, with AnyDVD and CloneDVD.

Run the files through DVD Rebuilder for the absolute best quality using an Encoder rather than a Transcoder.

I use it and run it overnite as it takes about 5 hours but the results are worth the extra time.

Regards,:slight_smile:

P.S. There is a Freeware version. Use the Installer.

@ feedback10k,

Could you be gracious and explain exactly what improvements. enhancements, and/or benefits are made be running the uncompressed CloneDVD files through DVD Rebuilder versus just allowing CloneDVD to fully processes the data. Expending an additional 5 hours seems like a long time to make a back up copy of a DVD considering that CloneDVD takes approximately 20 minutes to do its job.

Best Regards,
bjkg

The CloneDVD part of that process isn’t necessary in most cases. I think he just wants to verify that the disc structure is good…i.e. the stuid Arccos protection can mess with the disc structure. Most of the time you just copy the files to your hard drive and then use DVD-RB on them. DVD-RB uses an actual encoder (CCE, QuEnc, etc) vs a transcoder like CloneDVD. IF your goal is to have 1 disc at the highest quality possible, then encoding is the way to go, but it takes a lot more time. If your goal is a “good enough” backup, then CloneDVD is going to always be your best option. And if you don’t care about the 1 disc requirement, then by all means, split the disc with CloneDVD.

In any case, bjkg, the benefit of encoding vs trancoding can definitely be seen on larger movies such as gladiator or any of the lord of the rings movies. YOU would probably just split them…and that’s kuel. Some prefer a one disc solution.

Well put SamuriHL.

DVD Rebuilder (using CCE, HC, or any other true encoder) creates entirely new I frames for its project, since it only uses the original as a reference while encoding a completely new stream.

With CloneDVD it depends on your settings. As such, CloneDVD leaves I frames alone, and applies its compression to B (and, to a much lesser extent, P) frames. This allows more frames with high detail to sneak by, giving you better perceived quality than some other transcoders offer.

On large movies such as Lord of the Rings, however, the end result will be quite noticeable. The encoder will give you a better perceived quality compared to a transcoder. Because once again, it only uses the original as a reference while encoding a completely new stream that will fit on one DVD-5.

This all goes back to the “what’s the difference between an encoder and a transcoder?” debate.

Regards,:slight_smile:

To everyone:

Thanks so much for your replies, I am very appreciative of the feedback suggestions.

Always,
DJDVD