Quality info

vbimport

does dvdfab transcode/re-encode when “quality” shows “100%” ?

Fengtao would have to answer for sure, but I don’t think so. Like its predecessors (e.g. DVDShrink), it runs faster when Quality=100%.

unfortunately it’s hard to be sure for dvdshrink according to this post: http://www.dvdshrink.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5283&sid=46a1e80f146efe216831712f6b4a8f08

runs faster is not a good indication

[quote=monohouse;2045521]unfortunately it’s hard to be sure for dvdshrink according to this post: http://www.dvdshrink.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5283&sid=46a1e80f146efe216831712f6b4a8f08

runs faster is not a good indication[/quote]Look at the last post by chetwood. Runs faster I think is a good test if you do it with the same DVD as an input source. You can try this with DVDFab or Shrink by setting the DVD-5 size to something less than that required for the source material (and you only need a few chapters). Make a note of the processing time, then run it again with the DVD-5 size set such that Quality=100%. I used to be very active in that forum and if I am remembering usernames correctly chetwood understands transcoder-based compression, at least as present in DVDShrink.

you believe he can be trusted ? isn’t there someone who can say for sure ? testing for time is like working in the dark, im trying to avoid that and get some concrete answers, how could I know that it’s not JupiterPrime who is correct, I was hoping that someone would know the answer for sure without trying to guess, guessing I can do too, and I was hoping that the answer to this simple question would be simple, but it seems like alote of contradiction and alote of people don’t know the answer, at least not easily, and for 2 the most famous one-click solutions this should have been obvious… also: who is to say that the moderator is not the one to be trusted ? they can’t be sure about it themselves and you think that I should be sure about it ? doesn’t make sense. do you know anyone else who may have a clue ?

I have given you my evaluation based on the posts I’ve read and made in that forum; more than that I can’t tell you. I did make the following test:
1.Rip chapters 2 and 3 of “There Will Be Blood” with DVDFab/Customize/No Menus to HDD folder. size=1572 MB; this is the test folder.
2. Ripped test folder with DVDFab with DVD-5 size set to 1256MB, Quality=79%, time:5:07
3. Ripped test folder again with DVDFab with Quality=100%, time: 3:38
4. Ripped test folder with DVDShrink+Deep Analysis (not AEC); 78% Compression, time 3:19
5. Ripped test folder with DVDShrink+Deep+AEC, time: 2:06+1.05=3:11; not sure why this was so short; the extra 1:05 is for analysis, which Shrink “remembers”.
6. Ripped test folder with DVDShrink at 0 compression, time: 2:45
I haven’t looked at the images yet.

DVD Shrink will not compress anything if the selection is 100% or ‘No Compression’.

You could to this test in both programs. If the output size = Input size - then there is no compression. Be sure that you don’t deselect any streams for this test. Avoid using a sector protected DVD for this test as the output will be smaller for such a DVD.

The amount of compression on these tests was controlled by setting the DVD-5 size to 80% of the original, except for the 100% Quality, zero compression runs, where the DVD-5 size was set back to 4464MB. All the tests were run from a DVDFab rip to a folder. One audio and one subpic were selected to be included in the test folder.[quote=Gummigutta;2045655]DVD Shrink will not compress anything if the selection is 100% or ‘No Compression’.

You could to this test in both programs. If the output size = Input size - then there is no compression. Be sure that you don’t deselect any streams for this test. Avoid using a sector protected DVD for this test as the output will be smaller for such a DVD.[/quote]