Quality 25GB BD-R's in the US that don't cost an arm and a leg?

vbimport

Are there quality 25GB BD-R’s sold the US that don’t cost an arm and a leg?

The best I can tell the MIT non-LTH 4x Verbatim media is the closest we get at about ~$2 each. Everything else seems to be rebranded Ritek or Philips (CMC?).

Even if we ignore price it seems the only other assumed quality media sold in the US is TDK (MIJ?) and it’s ~$4 each. Is there some conspiracy to keep the quality media away?

Is there anyplace that sells quality BD-R media from overseas at a reasonable price?

Nikoneko ya is a reputable shop that ships Japanese made blu ray to the US. Reasonable and Made in Japan don’t really belong in the same sentence though. :slight_smile: When you start adding shipping costs, there really isn’t an incentive to buy from them anymore. I look in there from time to time, just to find out who is still selling MIJ disks.

If you look at the individual listings, you will see which disks are made in Japan. Nikoneko ya is one of the very few sites that list country of origin on BD media.

The vast majority of TDK are made in Taiwan these days. Most of the Sony disks are too, though the 6x variety are MIJ. The Panasonic disks used to be exclusively made in Japan, but aren’t always designated as such any more at that site.

As you’ve discovered, the Verbatim (non-LTH) disks are probably the best bet for quality/price combined.

Thanks for the reply. From a quick look at Nikoneko ya it seems the vast majority of BD-R media is made outside of Japan. It’s also a lot more expensive than the Verbatim MIT BD-R media sold in the US.

Unfortunately I missed out on the 25pk spindles of 6x Verbatim BD-R Newegg was selling for $45 last week. :frowning:

Verbatim 25GB 6X BD-R 10 Packs Spindle Disc Model 97238 - $16.99 w/ free shipping from Newegg.

I’m not sure why they’re cheaper than the 4x blanks, but I won’t complain.

Thanks for the heads up Stereodude. I had just used my last Verbatim BD-R disk last night, so this came at an opportune moment.

If you don’t mind me stealing some of your thunder, I’ll post this in the Bargain Basement too. (don’t tell the mods I’m crossposting though!) :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2574880]Nikoneko ya is a reputable shop that ships Japanese made blu ray to the US. Reasonable and Made in Japan don’t really belong in the same sentence though. :slight_smile: When you start adding shipping costs, there really isn’t an incentive to buy from them anymore. I look in there from time to time, just to find out who is still selling MIJ disks.

If you look at the individual listings, you will see which disks are made in Japan. Nikoneko ya is one of the very few sites that list country of origin on BD media.[/QUOTE]

Nikoneko ya lists Verbatim BD-R made in Singapore. Are they up to MIJ quality?

Even if we accept that MIJ BD-R’s are better (which certainly is not proven) can you buy MIJ BD-R’s in the US for anywhere near $2 each?

I haven’t been able to get the Nikoneko ya site to load today at all. And his ebay store has zero listings. I thought he might have gone out of business.

On to your question Coconut. Mitsubishi Chemical Corp has a plant in Singapore, and some of the best Verbatim media has been produced there. The single and double layer dvds coming out of the Singapore plant have proved to be equal or superior to virtually anything you want to compare them to. The blu ray disks haven’t got as long a track record, but seem to be very good so far.

The Verbatim disks I’ve been using were made in Taiwan however. I believe they are made by CMC Magnetics for Verbatim. I have no complaints with them.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2588400]Even if we accept that MIJ BD-R’s are better (which certainly is not proven) can you can buy MIJ BD-R’s in the US for anywhere near $2 each?[/QUOTE]

$4 is the minimum, that I have found, for Verbatim 2x BD-R at Meritline. The same shop has Sony 2 BD-R at $6. The shipping there is inexpensive but slow. Some Ebay sellers sell Panasonic 2 BD-R with free shipping for $6. That is for SL. DL is at least twice again more.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2588401]I haven’t been able to get the Nikoneko ya site to load today at all. And his ebay store has zero listings. I thought he might have gone out of business.

On to your question Coconut. Mitsubishi Chemical Corp has a plant in Singapore, and some of the best Verbatim media has been produced there. The single and double layer dvds coming out of the Singapore plant have proved to be equal or superior to virtually anything you want to compare them to. The blu ray disks haven’t got as long a track record, but seem to be very good so far.

The Verbatim disks I’ve been using were made in Taiwan however. I believe they are made by CMC Magnetics for Verbatim. I have no complaints with them.[/QUOTE]

I got Nikoneko ya site to load today, but could not put in an order, or add a new ID. I still have no idea what the shipping costs are like to the US, for a small BD-R package (say, 10-pack).

[QUOTE=Coconut;2588404]I got Nikoneko ya site to load today, but could not put in an order, or add a new ID. I still have no idea what the shipping costs are like to the US, for a small BD-R package (say, 10-pack).[/QUOTE]

Registered Airmail (Usually 4 to 8 days) $19.07 (Â¥1,500)
EMS Express (Usually 2 to 5 days) $25.93 (Â¥2,040)

Registered Airmail (Usually 4 to 8 days) $29.36 (Â¥2,310)
EMS Express (Usually 2 to 5 days) $40.67 (Â¥3,200)

The first is for one 10 pack of 50GB media and the second is for two.

[QUOTE=Jake030;2588546]Registered Airmail (Usually 4 to 8 days) $19.07 (Â¥1,500)
EMS Express (Usually 2 to 5 days) $25.93 (Â¥2,040)

Registered Airmail (Usually 4 to 8 days) $29.36 (Â¥2,310)
EMS Express (Usually 2 to 5 days) $40.67 (Â¥3,200)

The first is for one 10 pack of 50GB media and the second is for two.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. At those rates, DL is worth it, SL is not, and is worth buying in the US, like from Meritline, where you can see the MIJ on some Verbatim and Sony, all 2x.

By the way I found Verbatim made in Singapore in Meritline, 6X 50GB White Inkjet Hub Printable BDR Media Discs Write Once DataLifePlus in 25-Pack Spindle at two hundred fifty bucks:

http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-blu-ray-bouble-layer-bdr-50bg-2x-white-inkjet-printable-datalifeplus-96870---p-35540.aspx

I suppose they should be at MIJ quality.

I was in the same position and tried some of the cheaper brands ie Optical Quantum. Then found out later the set top was have problems reading them. Deanwitty turned me on to Smart-blu which are manufactured by Falcon. I don’t if your looking for branded or printable which I use. but these work great. they go for 1.25-1.49 each. Hope it helps, Heres a link where to get them. http://www.mediamegamall.com/smartblu-bluray-disc-25gb-branded-25pk-cakebox-sbr4br25-p-28554.html

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2588400]Even if we accept that MIJ BD-R’s are better (which certainly is not proven) can you buy MIJ BD-R’s in the US for anywhere near $2 each?[/QUOTE]

How about MIUAE discs with all MIJ materials :)? Falcon’s TDK MID discs easily rival the best of MIJ(or MIANYWHERE) and can be found at the price-point you mention :bigsmile:.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2588752]How about MIUAE discs with all MIJ materials :)? Falcon’s TDK MID discs easily rival the best of MIJ(or MIANYWHERE) and can be found at the price-point you mention :bigsmile:.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for pointing me to Smartblu, Drew and deanwitty. They are cheap as SL and expensive as DL. They cost about ten bucks as DL, which brings them right up to Verbatim made in Singapore. Japanese DL cost about the same or more.

[QUOTE=Coconut;2588839]Thank you for pointing me to Smartblu, Drew and deanwitty. They are cheap as SL and expensive as DL. They cost about ten bucks as DL, which brings them right up to Verbatim made in Singapore. Japanese DL cost about the same or more.[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome. I suspected these were off the radar of many out there. In terms of high quality at an affordable price, I would consider these or Verbatim 6X as the current leaders. I tend to favor the SmartBlu’s, as Falcon has released the results of accelerated aging tests on their BD-R media placing them in the 50+ year range. I have no reason to suspect that the Verbs would be any less durable. But until they get around to publishing their results I just won’t know, will I :confused::slight_smile: .

I also wish there was a local source for cheaper high-quality BD-R DL’s. Falcon uses the same recipe for their DL’s, original MIJ materials MIUAE.

Just placed another order for white inkjet SmartBlu’s, and I’m told that they are currently travelling cross-country and will be back in stock this week.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2588862]You’re welcome. I suspected these were off the radar of many out there. In terms of high quality at an affordable price, I would consider these or Verbatim 6X as the current leaders. I tend to favor the SmartBlu’s, as Falcon has released the results of accelerated aging tests on their BD-R media placing them in the 50+ year range. I have no reason to suspect that the Verbs would be any less durable. But until they get around to publishing their results I just won’t know, will I :confused::slight_smile: .

I also wish there was a local source for cheaper high-quality BD-R DL’s. Falcon uses the same recipe for their DL’s, original MIJ materials MIUAE.

Just placed another order for white inkjet SmartBlu’s, and I’m told that they are currently travelling cross-country and will be back in stock this week.[/QUOTE]
I have 50 SB’s on back order. I swear by these discs.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2588919]I have 50 SB’s on back order. I swear by these discs.[/QUOTE]
Hey Dean, got my shipping notice. :smiley:

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2589008]Hey Dean, got my shipping notice. :D[/QUOTE]

Hey Jim, got my SB’s :p:bigsmile: . Love the speed of their order-fulfillment system. Can order on a Monday morning and have UPS droppin em on my porch Tuesday afternoon. Pretty impressive for free :eek::cool:.

Looks like a good batch again.

4x burn with LG WH10LS30.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2589190]Hey Jim, got my SB’s :p:bigsmile: . Love the speed of their order-fulfillment system. Can order on a Monday morning and have UPS droppin em on my porch Tuesday afternoon. Pretty impressive for free :eek::cool:.

Looks like a good batch again.

4x burn with LG WH10LS30.[/QUOTE]
LoL…I was just about to burn one of the new batch for quality purposes and you beat me to it:sad::bigsmile: