Qualitative CloneDVD2 test numbers

vbimport

There was a report in CT magazine that measured the performance of various transcoders. CloneDVD results are from version 1, not the current CloneDVD 2. There are statements being made about the performance improvements in version 2. Can anyone provide any updated numbers coming from CloneDVD2 testing?

The C’T Magazine with the transcoder tests came out on 12/29/2003, so the tests were probably conducted a few weeks earlier. The version numbers of the tested programs were as follows:

CloneDVD 1.3.11.2
DVDShrink 3.0 Beta 5
InstantCopy 8.0.5
Recode2 2.0.0.0
Rejig 0.4i-mod3

“Peak Signal to Noise Ratio” (PSNR) was measured by using the software “PSNR4AVI” by Vanguard Software. The formula that is used is “PSNR = 20 log10(255/RMSE)”. RMSE is the square root of the medium square difference between two frames.

JND stands for “Just Noticeable Differences”. The software used to determine this value was “JNDmetrix-IQ” by Sarnoff. Frame by frame this software determines the difference between the original and the transcoded frames using a so called “Human Visual System Model”.

Results (for main movie only, one pass mode):

code:

___________JND PSNR

Rejig_______1.28 58.6 dB
CloneDVD___1.42 51.9 dB
DVDShrink___1.37 58.7 dB
Recode2____1.32 59.4 dB
InstantCopy_1.19 59.4 dB

Lower JND number and higher PSNR number is better.

So I Assume the lower the numbers the better?

Also does that mean that s/w like Recode 2 was not on deep analysis mode?

Lower JND number and higher PSNR number is better.

That is correct.

Per the report, the tests showed that in most cases the slower modes (aka. two pass, deep analysis, quality, advanced) did not improve quality.

You can get more info from the original post at:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=457002&highlight=%40windtrader#post457002