Quad-core PC notebook shipments to surge in the next few years

vbimport

Quad-core PC notebook shipments to surge in the next few years.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/07/xo0IoQ.jpg[/newsimage]A new research report from analyst IHS iSuppli's Compute Platform division estimates that by 2015 nearly 50 percent of notebooks will boast quad-core microprocessors. Just nine percent of notebooks currently available offer quad-core computing power, marking a 4o percent jump in only four years.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/quad-core-pc-notebook-shipments-to-surge-in-the-next-few-years-48357/](http://www.myce.com/news/quad-core-pc-notebook-shipments-to-surge-in-the-next-few-years-48357/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Already have an i7 quad core laptop computer - it gets too hot to sit on my lap, even with light use/idle, and the battery life is absolutely pathetic - less than 2 hrs, even with an oversize battery. In addition, it’s slow, even despite the retrofit with a hybrid HDD. It’s the stupidest purchase I’ve ever made, although I bought it at a time when I was ripping/converting alot of blurays to mkv.

Turns out my older Q6600 desktop was as fast as, if not faster, than the I7 laptop.
I’d be just as happy with my older core2 duo 2.1Ghz 13" laptop, remote desktopping to my beefy Desktop machine …

Screw laptops with quad core processors … get a faster dual core, get a nice beefy graphics chip that turns off when not in use, and retrofit the lappy with a giant capacity SSD and lots of ram.

More cores is a waste of time for 99% of uses -> improve the logic, improve gate efficiency, improve heat characteristics, improve the processing efficiency. Two cores is enough.

The scientific community is fully dreading the end of the speed increases … some things are just … linear … in nature, and don’t benefit extra cores.
Running 1000 linear routines which finish in 2 weeks doesn’t sound as nice two routines finishing every 30 minutes …

Everyone in the family has a laptop execpt me, I just love Desktops…Every tv in our house has a computer connected to it so unless I need to go online while using the bathroom…Hey…Brainstorm…I wonder if the wife will let me put a desktop in the bathroom…I wonder if steam from the shower would affect it???

[QUOTE=AIRBUD7;2596745]Hey…Brainstorm…I wonder if the wife will let me put a desktop in the bathroom…I wonder if steam from the shower would affect it???[/QUOTE]
Eventually …

Sure quad core, but mhz starting at 1.2ghz which is entirely available now…
what’s unclear is: Will there be enough demand for 160 million laptops in the years ahead? Tablets are also competing on the multi-core space right now… dual core will be quite common by next year. 3 & 4 cores to be standard the following year. Also, by 2015 we SHOULD see 300% increase the battery life [CAPACITY] from Litium based batteries! This improvement will make laptops last 4-8 hours and have a maximum capapcity of 12ah on the largest size. LED screens and power saving functions will make this possible. What might have your battery begging for relief is if your laptop has a GAMING graphics card which is a power hog. ATi and NVIDIA are trying to satisfy customers by having the power hungryness tamed or controllable by the user to fix the consumption issue.

Microsoft might be in danger of being supplanted by Android, especially in portable computers… laptops inclusive.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2596891]What might have your battery begging for relief is if your laptop has a GAMING graphics card which is a power hog. ATi and NVIDIA are trying to satisfy customers by having the power hungryness tamed or controllable by the user to fix the consumption issue.

Microsoft might be in danger of being supplanted by Android, especially in portable computers… laptops inclusive.[/QUOTE]
With the new hybrid Chips, i3 & i5 (series 2) & the new AMD series just released, the discrete video chip can be turned off, and the internal video chip used in lieu, shaving precious Whr’s off the video requirements … exciting times.

It’s going to be a whole lot messier trying to describe chipset GPU’s & discrete GPU’s, since there will now be CPU’s with GPU’s inbuilt, Chipsets with GPU’s inbuilt, and then of course, discrete video chips.

And of course, CPU graphics chips will be stealing system ram … and chipset video will be stealing system ram … and low-end Discrete video chips will be stealing system ram … and high-end discrete video chips will have their own Ram …

Bah Humbug :stuck_out_tongue:

Double Bah :stuck_out_tongue: