QSI DVD+-RW SDW-082: DVD-R burn problems

vbimport

Hi,

I have a problem with the

QSI DVD±RW SDW-082

Internal DVD-Dual drive (DVD+/-RW) in my new Acer TM 4002WLMI laptop.

The problem I have is that 20% of the DVD-R’s I burn are not readable on my laptop. The burn process is always completed successfully according to the software but then there is nothing on it. The WEIRD thing is that these burnt DVD’s work on other computers!!! I would expect it the other way around if there was a problem.

I tried different softwares on Windows and on Linux. I also tried different media and sticked to brand name products like Maxell (aka Taiyo Yuden, TYG01).

Would it help to upgrade the firmware if available or should I insist on a new drive? I already took the laptop to the store where I bought it. But the sample that was burnt there worked out:a

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated!

I Have the same problem… I need help.

Burn at 2.4X or 4X. Don’t touch the PC during this operation. Can you play the media with home DVD player? I would think that you have a marginal DVD writer.

i tried this but is the same. in some home dvds they can’t play.

If you burn quality -R media @ 2.4X and still encounter playback issue, then you may have a marginal burner. Most notebook burners are not very good.

What’s your firmware version?

A friend of mine just purchased a laptop with this drive.
Definitely one of the slowest 8x burns I have seen. :o
Media = YUDEN000T02

Edit for clarification: this thread is about the QSI DVD±RW SDW-082 (non-S version), the tests I posted here have been done with the QSI DVD±RW SDW-082S, which is a different model.

I guess this dvd burner is just pretty picky concerning media. I have no problems with Princo 4x DVD-R discs. They are fine when using different softwares. The drive does not work with Maxell 4x DVD-R discs aka TYG01 made by Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd. I read elsewhere that the same goes for Maxell 4x DVD+R dics.

Did anyone try yet to burn a DVD+R-DL successfully?

Kprobe scan of the above posted Data Disc burn.
It looks like the drive did very good up until that last 8x zone. :frowning:

Edit for clarification: this thread is about the QSI DVD±RW SDW-082 (non-S version), the tests I posted here have been done with the QSI DVD±RW SDW-082S, which is a different model.

Transfer Rate test on above disc.
perfect readability on the NEC 3500A.

Hello , What’s your fimrware version fo the sdw 082??

I have the LX34. the problems are :- discs failed ( often at the end track)

• unreadibility of some disc
    -can take sammsung dvd-r ( did not recognize it)
    -poor speed.

i found on a a forom that a guy has a firmware send by QSI at this page :

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=32113&highlight=sdw-082s

they send the the firmware LX12 and i have the LX34

someone try it?
what should i do??

I have the firmware LX34 firmware too.

It is tempting to try the posted firmware but

(1) I would be careful with firmware upgrades you did not get directly
from a manufacturer (although it might be fine…)

and

(2) The dvd drive in that post is a different one! They talk about the
QSI DVD±RW SDW-082S not the QSI DVD±RW SDW-082. There
is a difference between those drives.

Please post your results if you wanna try it anway.

i try to upgrade with the firmware LX12

It doesn’t work : it says that is not the good device…

i’m bored by this burner. it’s the bad support than i ever seen!! the website of QSI said that they not support firmware!!! they take us like shit…

The only drive that has the same features as the SDW-082 is the NU-Tech EDW-082. The firmware version for that drive is LX40 (see nu-tech webpage). The problem is you need to remove the drive check from the firmware flasher in order to be able to flash.

Be carefull with LX12 firmware because it is for the SDW-082s wich does not have double-layer support.

Can you please tell us how to remove drive check information.

Thanks, BoST

That I’m stilll trying to find out. Any findings I make I’ll post them here

I have LX32 firmware and the problem continue… most of dvds i have don’t work in my home dvd.

I asked Acer to support me with a firmware upgrade to LX40 since QSI doesn’t… but Acer didn’t either. This is really annoying :a . No idea where to get an upgrade from.

My friend has the SDW-082S bundled with his Averatec av3250hx80 laptop.
There is no update listed on the Averatec website…
http://www.averatec.com/customercare/downloads.htm
We emailed Averatec, but received no response.

Want support? Buy AOpen… Mailed them about my notebook’s drive, asking for a firmware updtate last week…

They sent it to me today and it’s even newer than the Nu-Tech one. Version LX43.

Can anyone host it?

For now all I can say is DVD reading speed and recognition time has improved a lot… Haven’t done any recording tests but I guess I’ll be pleased :wink: