Qflix External DVD Drive from Dell

vbimport

Hi all…I hope this is the right place to post this. Here’s the problem:

A friend of mine has an older Dell Dimension 1100 and purchased a Qflix external DVD drive from Dell. Here’s the link:

The operating system(XP) recognizes the drive just fine, however, the pc setup on bootup does not. She also has a CD burner installed as well, which the system recognizes just fine. Is there a jumper on the HDD drive or the CD burner that should be set a certain way for the setup to read the drive? Should the CD burner be completely took out? I’m referring to the “Primary Master” and “Primary Slave” settings. This drive has very poor documentation…almost none on Dell’s website and no owner’s manual came with it. I had a live chat session with a Dell rep and he/she said they do not have owner’s manuals for their external drives. I think that’s just crazy. Can anyone explain how I can set this drive up for her…maybe a step by step or provide me a link to a “How to”?..or is this drive just not compatible with this older of a Dell machine? Thanx in advance for any help you guys could provide. Let me know if there’s any other specific information you need about her machine and I will be happy to provide that to you.

Scooter

I’m not quite sure what the question is. If the OS is recognizing it, then it’s working fine. Are you trying to boot from a CD or DVD in the external drive? Is that the problem?

Hi and Welcome![quote=Scooter29;2178145]
A friend of mine has an older Dell Dimension 1100 and purchased a Qflix external DVD drive from Dell. (…)
The operating system(XP) recognizes the drive just fine, however, the pc setup on bootup does not. [/quote]This might be not unusual. Not all computers show USB connected drives (in the list of bootable devices).

I think that’s just crazy. Can anyone explain how I can set this drive up for her…maybe a step by step or provide me a link to a “How to”?..or is this drive just not compatible with this older of a Dell machine?
Leave it as is. That is a matter of the mainboard Bios. I own a nearly one year old Dell Vostro notebook, that is not able to boot off an external optical drive (but booting from USB flash memory works).

Michael

Thanx for the responses. I would guess that all I need to do is just install the software that came with the drive?..I believe it’s just a media player(CinemaNow) and Roxio software. Again, thanx for the responses.

Scooter

Hi,

there is no need to install that additional software unless you want this. It will not solve the problem you described in your initial post.

Michael