Q:would like to return windows 2000 to IDE from SCSI

vbimport

hello freaks ...

..heres the story in a nutshell
I just purchased a TDK VeloCD 40x internal CDRW
it seams to work fine but not up to its potential
i would like to use it with Direct Memory Acess enabled (for all my drives) but ,for some reason (Probably Daemon Tools) i have SCSI enabled ,i have tried to uninstall D-Tools but to no avail
all of my drives still say either SCSI hard disk or SCSI CD-Rom??
there is no option for "DMA" anywhere where it should be

i have 2 hard Maxtor hard drives
1 60 gig at 7200 (master)
1 80 gig at 5400 (slave)

i have 2 optical drives
1 TDK CDRW401240b (veloCD) (master)
1 Nec DV-5800A (dvd-rom) (slave)

i use Daemon tools to burn BIN and ISO with CloneCD
but i could also use Nero as it came with the TDK
so i could live without the Daemon-tools(i really wouldnt want to do this)

the CD software i have installed is...
Nero burning ROM
Clone CD
Daemon-tools
TDK digital MixMaster

i have tried Nero and it has said that my cdrw was not supported (maybe because of SCSI??)

1) Nero will burn a 805 mb SVCD *.BIN file on a 40x write CDR (TDK or Memorex) in about 6-8 minutes ,will report that it has burned sucessfully at 40x does this sound correct??

2)should i disable all the SCSI controller (in Device Manager) before uninstalling Daemon tools ?

3)the instructions that came with the TDK VeloCD are decent but pretty vague about the DVD-Rom being the slave on IDE2 ,"some dvd readers should be set to master ......" huh??

4)when i burn a *.Bin mounted on a Virtual drive on the fly with cloneCD and set it to max write it writes at 16x (it fluctuates but never too high)

5)when i am burning the computer becomes useless for anything else (this didnt happen with my old CDRW a sony 8xwrite,i could run Paint shop pro ,be on a Peer to Peer,and have 4 or 5 folders opened at once) ,does anybody have any suggestions to get my DMA enabled,could it be the writer,software problem?

6)my Hard drives are split into 7 different partitions ,should i format the primary (os) drive and start from scratch w/o the daemon tools?

----Thank you in advance ,i got 250 cdrs to beat up,and really appreciate any answers to any of the questions or any advice in general,again,Thanks;)

i have a Dell Dimension 8100
P4 @ 1.3ghz
1024 mb RD-RAM

Wow lots of questions

1. Nero burns a 805 meg image on a 40x TDK. 6-8 minutes
    Have you defragged the drive. Most of the newer burners will speed up until they hit a certain minute mark for the cd.

2. Try it see. It will probably complain. You may have to reisntall the aspi layer.

3. Sometimes the burner should be placed first in the chain with it being master, and the other drive being slave(i.e such as a DVD/cd-rom). This means that the system will see the burner before it sees the other drives on the chain, but try to put it on a channel be itself. If you have a dvd or other drive then make it master. This involves moving the black jumper pins on the back of the drive and sometimes switching the cables aroundl.

4. Im not sure since I dont burn virtual or on the fly images.

5. there might be a problem, again make sure you defragged the drive. Make sure the burn app has a higher priority if using win2ooo or higher.

Wow lots of questions

1. Nero burns a 805 meg image on a 40x TDK. 6-8 minutes
    Have you defragged the drive. Most of the newer burners will speed up until they hit a certain minute mark for the cd.

2. Try it see. It will probably complain. You may have to reisntall the aspi layer.

3. Sometimes the burner should be placed first in the chain with it being master, and the other drive being slave(i.e such as a DVD/cd-rom). This means that the system will see the burner before it sees the other drives on the chain, but try to put it on a channel be itself. If you have a dvd or other drive then make it master. This involves moving the black jumper pins on the back of the drive and sometimes switching the cables aroundl.

4. Im not sure since I dont burn virtual or on the fly images.

5. there might be a problem, again make sure you defragged the drive. Make sure the burn app has a higher priority if using win2ooo or higher.

BTW what os are you using??
6. I would have one large partition since if the drive goes bad, you would loose everything else also. Winxp puts the largest files on the outside, and the smaller one on the inside of the file table, if you have multiple partitions, you kinda lose that effect

thanks for the reply cloakdoa

im running win 2000 ,since i posted i got the drive to burn a bit better ,i noticed that if burned at a lower speed 32x or 24x i was burning faster (aprox 5 min for 800 mb BIN) and using less CPU % in the task manager ,its not exactly the way it should be but for now a lot better .i am also able to multi-task without the uselessness which occoured with the burn set at 40x

i still do not have DMA enabled as far as i know and all the drives optical or otherwise have SCSI in thier description (device manager),with still no option to enable DMA

if i go to control panel/administrator tools/computer managment/system information/hardware resources/DMA it says

channel =4 device=direct memory acess status=OK

i defrag a lot, about 2x a week ,but i also use eDonkey which wreaks havok to the drive its installed on

the partitions i have are set on 2 different hard drives (basically i was experimenting at fisrt ,but have grown to like the idea)

you stated “Winxp puts the largest files on the outside” -is that on the outside of the primary partition ? is w2k the same ?ive noticed patches from the ms website sometimes get downloaded to different partitions (temporarily) while they are being installed

my primary logical drive (c: -20 gig) is in a mobile rack ,so when i get a chance i am going to re-install w2k on my spare hard drive and give the CDRW a whirl without the SCSI drivers installed in any way whatsoever ,and i will definately try the CDRW with no other optical drive installed on the cable ,and ill also set it as slave when i re-install the dvd-rom

ill report back when all of this is done ,hope it is a cd burning and not my cpu ,lol :slight_smile: