Q: TDK/RiTEK CD-R's in Australia

G’day all,

Has anybody in Australia used TDK 48x 80min. CD-R’s off a 50-pack spindle recently?

If so, please tell me the serial numbers of the discs located on the centre plastic hub ring.

Thanks!

Well I’ve got this spindle of TDK OEM 48X 50s that I got in Singapore. Top side is totally reflective silver, with TDK 80 in blue on the hub.

Hub serial is L403JS208230215RF 09
ATIP - 97m 15s 17f
Made by Ritek. Pretty good stuff, max C1 is about 10 at 52x in a Liteon. No C2 errors. $32 for 50.

Hope its the same type of TDK you got in AU. Been looking for good 48X media in AU too, esp. the new TY 48x.

TDK CD-R80X50P
typical serial number: L401JS301073734ra19
ATIP: 97m 15s 17f
Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f / LBA: 359845)

I got mine from Office Works when they were on “special” a few weeks back $33.70 for 50

Thank you for the information everyone. That’s all I needed to know. The reason I posted this was that I purchased two pieces of TDK CD-R80 and found out that they were made by RiTEK’s “J” production line. Not too good with C1’s maxing out at 15-20 or so. I’m getting a spindle instead now!

@Nick: These discs are sold in 50-packs at TARGET for A$29.95 every day!!!

That is cheap ! Is it the same reflective silver on the top?
Too bad no Targets in Canberra…

That is cheap ! Is it the same reflective silver on the top?

These discs have a SILVER reflective layer on a PHTHALOCYANINE recording dye layer. The top layer has a protective label layer that has an inkjet-printable sort of feel to it and has the writing “CD-R80 Toughness Coat” on one side and “700Mb” and the Compact Disc Recordable logo on the other.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
[B]That is cheap ! Is it the same reflective silver on the top?

These discs have a SILVER reflective layer on a PHTHALOCYANINE recording dye layer. The top layer has a protective label layer that has an inkjet-printable sort of feel to it and has the writing “CD-R80 Toughness Coat” on one side and “700Mb” and the Compact Disc Recordable logo on the other. [/B]

watch out for the silver part that isnt protected because it damages easily.

G’day all,

Got the 50-pack today and here’s the data from my test disc:

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 15s 17f
Norminal Capacity = 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = RiTEK JS-dye
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 32X

From Kprobe 1.1.9, Read at Max Speed:
C1 Max = 9
C1 Average = 0.221
C2 Max = 0
C2 Average = 0.000

What more can I say? RiTEK discs has proven to be the best phthalocyanine discs currently made. Their burn quality is on par with Taiyo Yuden.

@cd pirate: Most Taiyo Yudens also scratch quite easily. Get the ceramic tops or inkjet surfaces because they are protected more. TDK also sells RiTEK White Surfaced discs. I’ve used about five and they’ve all had the same high quality results! :slight_smile:

I bought mine with 40x on the cakebox. It’s the one mentioned above with Toughness Coat. I noticed the lines on the right side (labelside) are badly printed. They are not straight :confused:

Anyway, I manage to get 51.7x burn speed towards the end of the disc.

When I tried the CDSpeed Quality Test, there’ll be errors towards the end of the disc with 52x read. If i bump the read speed down to 40x, it reads fine. Is this a bad burn or bad reader? BTW, my Creative DVD drive hates these Riteks. Big time slowdown after 10 minute mark.

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 15s 17f
Norminal Capacity = 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = RiTEK JS-dye
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 52X

L406JS209061455RC16

I bought mine with 40x on the cakebox. It’s the one mentioned above with Toughness Coat. I noticed the lines on the right side (labelside) are badly printed. They are not straight

Just compared the lines against a ruler on my 48x batch and the lines seem as straight as a laser beem…

Greyknight, of course there are Targets in Canberra!!! There’s one in the Tuggeranong Hyperdome for starters, and they have these TDK Ritek spindles too, because I looked for them last night…

There used to be another Target in the City too, but it’s a while since I’ve been there so I’m not certain if it’s still there…

Good to see another Canberra person on the forum anyway!