Px716uf wont burn or update firmware

**** sorry if there was a duplicate post - It didn’t appear after 10-15mins of my intial post.

Hi, I tried searching through the forums for a solution but to my luck - I haven’t found anything relevent regarding this issue.

I have 2 external plextor PX-716UF models. One is a TLA #0102 (FW-1.06) and the other is a TLA #0308 (FW 1.08)

In the past I was able to upgrade my firmware for the TLA #0102 from 1.02 through 1.06 with no problems.

I borrowed my friend’s #0308 to see if my old one was causing any dvd/cd burning issues…

My problems

#1 - I went to the plextor website to download the FW 1.09 and upgrade to both drives - but I keep receiving this error :

Firmare Update is Failed - System Error (Win32): Code 121 Both Drives receive this message.

** I ran the Self-Test on both : PASSED - DISC EJECTED ON BOTH DRIVES

#2 - I tried to burn cd’s / dvd’s using the recommended media/dye’s on both drives via both Nero Burning Rom and Prassi ONES - It just sits there with the green light - nothing is being transferred. I was able to burn 100’s of dvd’s with the #0102 in the past - now on both drives I get the same situation. It just sits there - no noise nothing… No buffer - I have to shut the drive off to get the applications to work again .

Is there a system setup that is causing this problem?

*In Device Manager - I see no Yellow Exclamation marks -
*My IDE devices are all in ULTRA DMA MODE

I have been using a P3 Toshiba 850Mhz / WinXP Sp2 / 512mb RAM / 20gb HDD / External Firewire / USB 2.0 PCMCIA connects my external dvd drive.

I am not using any other USB devices - I know that it will shunt power to the other devices if done so - Also I am only hooking up one DVD Drive at a time to test.

Your thoughts, input and time are greatly appreciated … I’m kind of lost as to what the problem is - My USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter works fine when I hook other devices to it - also I’ve burned with my #0102 using it in the past -

*** I can read DVD’s and CD’s from the DRIVE with no problems - I just can’t send any data to the drive for some stupid reason -
I hope the info I’ve provided is enough for now - I’ll do my best to provide more upon request -

Thanks again :slight_smile:

*** UPDATE ***

I switched the usb cable and used a firewire cable on the TLA #0102 (FW 1.06) drive - to upgrade - alas the firware update went through - I did not try to burn anything yet -

That firewire cable was for my external hdd (a firewire/usb combo) - when I swapped the usb cable to the external hdd - the HDD didn’t work. So it appears something is faulty with the usb drivers or PCMCIA card - any ideas? I tried two USB 2.0 cables with same results - could’t upgrade the #0308 model via USB. So I doubt it’s a physical USB 2.0 wire problem.

I also tried updating my pcmcia drivers for the 3 port USB 2.0 adapter I had. No luck after reboot.

In device manager under USB - no errors visible.
PCMCIA card transfers files from hdd to my my external mp3 player without problem / also can plug in mouse to it without problems.

The PCMCIA 2.0 card reads the drive / other devices work through it - any drivers that are corrupted that i should take note of? Sorry , I have a difficult time putting this all in words - hopefully you can follow what I mean.

Please note that I’ve used this PCMCIA cardbus adapter before with success when reading and writing with this same drive many months ago.

So I hope this info will better assist one of y’all with a better suggestion to solve this issue - I want to get the USB working for this drive again… thanks for reading this.

oh i forgot to mention that I had made sure the power management is unselected :

here’s what i mean :

http://imagehero.us/show.php?iid=790572792.jpeg

again, i was able to update firmware to 1.09 on TLA #0102 via firewire but not usb.

I left the TLA #304 (FW 1.08) to update via USB with no luck still…

Hi guys - I’m bumping this thread because I’m still stuck -

and maybe this info that I post will get some help from you pro’s :slight_smile:

Hi, I tried searching through the forums for a solution but to my luck - I haven’t found anything relevent regarding this issue.

I have tried 2 versions of a NEC based USB PCMCIA chipset. One with an external power (5mv) source and one that didn’t have that option. In the past, I was using the latter - devices such as my external usb/firewire seagate 300gb hard drive and external usb/firewire plextor 16x px-716uf dvd-r drive both have worked flawlessly.

Recently - when I hook either device to the cardbus adapter -

• I can’t either access my external hdd
  • I can’t burn dvd/cd data period - it spins up and then stops ALSO I can’t update firmware via USB to this drive.
    *** I thought it was my plextor dvd-rom drive that was at fault. BUT I borrowed a friend’s exact same model - SAME situation.

** I need to turn off/unplug these devices to get my windows OS “unfrozen.”

However - If I connect my firewire input to these devices - they work like nothing ever happened. Firmware updates on the DVD drives worked perfectly.

My PCMCIA adpater is a Texas Instruments PCI-1420 TYPE II Cardbus 32bit ready (2 slots)

I have on one slot - a D-Link Wireless DWL-G650 adapter. It works fine. I have tried using it on the other slot - works fine.

The firewire components on both drives when connected work fine again.

If I plug the USB component to my laptop’s pre-built usb 1.1 ports - they work but at LOW 12MBS speed.

I have went to device manager > uninstalled my PCMCIA carbus adapters and updated usb drivers - NO LUCK.

I have no “yellow exclammation marks” in my device manager.
Power management for all USB is disabled (I don’t want windows to turn them off)

I run on AC power.
I have the latest Bios. only USB related item in Bios is LEGACY enabled : YES.

My laptop is a Toshiba PIII 850Mhz / 512mb ram / Windows XP SP2.

To note add further - I can read discs from my plextor via the USB PCMCIA card, I can copy them to my internal HDD or external HDD - but I can’t burn nothing - only if I connect the firewire port.

My external hdd is filled to the brim almost with my work material - but I have no way of being able to transfer them off to my drive because of this weird USB issue. I only have 1 firewire port.

** My first 3 Port USB NEC GENERIC card work great for a few years - it just stopped - I thought it was dead.
** So I purchased a NEW PCMCIA adapter with extra external 5mv AC power 2-port - SAME RESULTS AS BEFORE - NO LUCK.
** My D-LINK card works in BOTH PCMCIA ports…

I tried to rule out so many things but hit a wall everytime.

I am so lost as to what the problem is - many thanks to all those who have read this and are willing to pass some of there expertise knowledge to solve my problem. Thanks again for your time and cooperation.

I hope I have provided enough information - sorry for my rambling - I hope I was clear as possible,

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 SMC IrCC - Fast Infrared Port OK
IRQ 5 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 5 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
IRQ 5 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 10 NVIDIA GeForce2 Go OK
IRQ 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1420 CardBus Controller OK
IRQ 10 D-Link AirPlus DWL-G650 Wireless Cardbus Adapter(rev.C) #3 OK