PX716UF reading trouble

vbimport

My Plextor PX716UF has a lot of trouble reading the disks I’ve burned with it. It seems to struggle with reading the video files and sometimes stops reading and the video will freeze midway. Then it will start to spin and slow down repeatedly. Anyone know how this can be fixed?

Hmm I suggest you to check the disc’s PI/PO error rates.

open up plextools, check the drive settings section and make sure the “Drive Spindown Time” is set to 2mins or greater.

The spindown time was on 2 minutes so I changed it up and down a few times but I had no luck with that.

I am not so savvy with DVD burners and I don’t know what PI/PO error rates are. I clicked on “Q-Check PI/PO Test” and pressed start. Now it is building a some sort of a blue graph. What should I do next?

Edit: During the PI/PO test, I received a messagebox saying “Error: Unspecified error (code 000000)” . Here is a picture of the graph:

wow, looks like horrible media. what are you burning? you can find out by using this tool: http://www.cdfreaks.com/software/104

This is what DVD Identifier gave me when I clicked “Identify” and “Clipboard”:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-M01-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Media Type ID : [M01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

The DVD’s I’m using are TDK 4.7GB DVD+R 1-16x. I am using them to burn and store various video files to free up my hard drive space.

Here is a screenshot of another PI/PO test. Not sure what all this even means. It stopped when it received that error again.

the graph you posted is a sum8 or PIE scan. the errors far exceed the upper limit for an “acceptable disc” (PIE<280).

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1418276&postcount=2038

this is the closest i could find, but it’s that media id burned on a 760A. even with a more advanced drive the quality is mediocre at best. the 716 probably doesn’t have a good write strategy for that MID. i haven’t checked the plextor list but wouldn’t bother with those discs. perhaps try and return them, even for an exchange and get some Verbatim 16X DVD+Rs and burn them at 12x, a good compromise between speed and quality particularly if you’re backing up data.

I just discovered that the disk plays flawlessly on my laptop’s DVD drive. They do not play well with my computer’s DVD drive or the plextor. Does this mean that the disks are not the problem and the problem is with the plextor? What else can I do?

It seems that my situation has become more complex. Some of the disks I burned with the plextor play perfectly in my computer’s DVD drive and the plextor drive. Other disks I burned do not play at all in my computer’s DVD drive and play very poorly (as described in my first post) in the plextor drive. But all of these disks play perfectly on my laptops DVD drive (whether they play poorly or correctly on my plextor or PC’s dvd drives).