[PX716A] Has my Powerec become crazy?

vbimport

Hi,

I have got my PX716A for a little more than one week now, but experience strange things with PoweRec since three days ago.
I had a 100 spindle of Verbatim SuperAzo CD-R (Mitsubishi, #3) that are certified at 48X. I burned correctly at 48X the first 30 CD-Rs (with very good scans).
But since a couple of days, Mitsubishi #3 CD-Rs are burned at 32X max, because of PoweRec, which now recommends 32X. I tried another batch of these discs (but this time as printable CD-Rs), they are still recognised as Mitsu #3, and PoweRec recommends 32X.
Only with another batch of Plextor CD-Rs 48X, I get PoweRec recommendation as 48X.

How does PoweRec work ? I there a database in the drive ? How suddenly these discs are limited at 32X, despite the first 30 or so discs I burnt were done at 48X ?

How PoweRec works is explained in this PDF document. PoweRec seems to be working fine in your case. It just thinks that your discs won’t work at maximum speed. This can be because of a different ATIP code than the first discs, different media characteristics, etc. I woudn’t worry about it.

Thanks a lot for the docs.
I am still puzzled though. Those 48X discs were all from the same spindle. And it is Verbatim top quality.
Also, this 32X limit is selected by Powerec as soon as a CD-R is inserted in the drive. Is this normal ? Does Powerec immediately choses the strategy from reading the code ? Moreover, is this hardcoded in the firmware, or is there a memory (like autostrategy for DVD-R) of the selected strategies, so that this may change with time (and burnings) ?
Is there a way to know which ATIP are listed in the firmware or is it top secret ?

I have just tried a TDK 48 X and indeed, Powerec recommends 48X :

ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-) (4)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -12520 (97:15/05)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 26
Manufacturer: TDK Corporation
Single session is OFF.
Hide CDR is OFF.
Speed-Read is OFF.
GigaRec is off.
Blocks total: 359849 Blocks current: 359849 Blocks remaining: -736
cdrecord: WARNING: Data may not fit on current disk.
cdrecord: Notice: Overburning active. Trying to write more than the official disk capacity.
Forcespeed is ON.
Turning forcespeed off
Power-Rec is OFF.
Power-Rec write speed:     48x (recommended)
Turning Power-Rec on.

For the Verbatim that should be 48X:

ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 4
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11077 (97:34/23)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359848 (79:59/73)
Disk type:    Long strategy type (Cyanine, AZO or similar)
Manuf. index: 11
Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
Single session is OFF.
Hide CDR is OFF.
Speed-Read is OFF.
GigaRec is off.
Blocks total: 359848 Blocks current: 359848 Blocks remaining: -737
cdrecord: WARNING: Data may not fit on current disk.
cdrecord: Notice: Overburning active. Trying to write more than the official disk capacity.
Forcespeed is ON.
Turning forcespeed off
Power-Rec is OFF.
Power-Rec write speed:     32x (recommended)
Turning Power-Rec on.

Disc quality can vary even within a spindle. No guarantee that the discs you have all came from the same stamper. If it works at 48x on one disc and 32x on another, it’s because the drive determined that the quality on the latter warranted a slow down. As long as the quality is excellent as seen by C1/C2 errors or PI/PO errors, don’t sweat a few extra seconds.

If you think PowerRec’s setting for your Mitsubishi #3’s is in error, try doing a TE/FE scan or a media quality check on a blank disc to see if this kicks it in the butt and puts you back up to 48X. Usually, if the TE/FE or media quality check passes, the drive will try doing a full speed burn again. But bad disc samples tend to prejudice the drive against good media. It tends to be conservative, favoring quality over speed.

I tried the TE/FE scan, and very strangely, although it says that the disc can be burnt at max speed, Powerec still recommends 32X when the disc is inserted. So either it is hard-coded in the firmware and I did not notice I was upping to 32X before (unlikely), either there something strange. Anyway, quality is perfect, as said bob11879.