Well, I have an update for you. Run a self diagnostic test. I just ran one using a CD and guess what . . . It failed! Crazy, especially considering the drive burns DVD's very, very well. Oh well, guess it's going back to Plextor.
Here's how to run a self-diagnostic test.
1) Place a jumpers in both the cable select and slave spots, see picture [*||*]
2) unplug the IDE cable from the back of the Drive
3) jot down the serial number and manufacturing date (just in case you have to send it back)
3) restart the computer while holding down the eject button until the tray ejects
4) the light should blink amber and green alternatively
5) place a CD in the tray and the test will begin.
If the CD ejects, the drive is fine.
If it blinks green once in patterns, then there is a read/write error
2 green blinks means an initialization error
At this point call Plextor Customer Support 1-800-204-0332 to get an RMA#