Please post tests here.
Also look here : http://plextor.jp/download/firmware/px716beta.html
Can some one translate?

Good luck :slight_smile:

http://plextor.jp/download/firmware/px716_1c04.exe

thanks knightfal.

Dual Layer of DVD±R/RW drive PX-716 series DVD-R (2 layer) media correspondence
Concerning β version firmware release the guide
About the firmware As for the firmware which this each time is released, to Dual Layer of the prototype which is inside our company DVD-R
Being able to actualize the entry with 2 time speed with ディスクアットワンス to verify that it is, the ま
It does, but because it is β version, not only entry to this media, other operations
Including, being not to be able to guarantee beforehand acknowledgement.
In addition, there is the below-mentioned restriction item attendant upon Dual Layer DVD-R entry correspondence.
At the time of the update of the firmware that note, we ask.
Restriction item With the upgrade of this firmware, the below-mentioned function stops being able to receive utilization.

* SecureRecording
* GigaRec
* VariRec (you cannot utilize only DVD)

Formal version corresponding schedule time 2005 middle of January schedule
Because schedule of standard decision it is late vis-a-vis the supposition of our company,
Making formal corresponding time postpone, it came to the point of with receiving. We apologize.

• As for this firmware, because it is β stage, sufficient verification is not done.
  • Please utilize this firmware, on customer himself responsibility.
  • Assuming, that after the updating to this firmware, damage to the data and the hardware occurred, at our company we do not compensate altogether.
  • The telephone to the support desk concerning this firmware and question etc. with E-mail have not done acceptance.

When it is possible only, to agree to description above, we request download.

When (“it agrees” it selects only, download of the β firmware is possible. )

Someone says that Auto-Strategy for 12x/16x burn is enabled experimentally by 1c04 beta firmware. I feel that PX-716A is still in the middle of growth at present.

716 is way to picky to even think of loading beta let alone one with stuff disabled, Id give this a pass. :a

MCC004 (Verbatim 16x DVD+R) burned at 16x
AS on, PR off.

Burn time improves a lot. Burn quality is very good in my book (PIE max below 100), but could be better.

Beautiful scan. I have the feeling the final version of Firmware 1.04 is going to be “THE BIG ONE” for Plextor. I think it’ll turn this drive into what it was supposed to be, the best.

ImBAD, you are so optimistic :smiley: I would wait until the real 1.04 is out and we can judge from there.

Anyway, this 1.04 beta (1c04) writing strategy is similar to fw 1.00. I still save a copy of the write test which I haven’t post anywhere, look below. I got a feeling that fw 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 are just “transitions” until they fix the hardware. They seem pretty sure that TLA 02xx fixes the hardware problems and they will release future firmwares (1.04 and so on) with the “real” 16x strategies, no more “cheating” at 4gb.

716a TLA:0101 fw 1c04 test

Yuden T02 fuji branded

speed3.55 test burn

I have since returned to 1.03 fw

KenW, Maybe you can RMA your drive to Plextor to get the TLA02xx batch.

5:53 for a full burn is very fast. My benq 1620 can reach that fast (full burn) only once! LG 4163B can go faster, but only with 16x certified media, can’t overspeed 8x to 16x.

Maybe his autostrategy will learn how to better burn the Fuji’s with subsequent burns? I returned two TLA0000’s back to BestBuy after the 1st one toasted after install. The second one seemed to work, but what I heard on this forum at the time scared me too much to keep it. I’m not sure about TLA0101, of course we are never really sure what they truly change with Hardware revisions. I feel pretty confident about the TLA0202 drives.

zevia

KenW, Maybe you can RMA your drive to Plextor to get the TLA02xx batch.

I RMA it to get TLA:0101

I really dont want have to wait again and find It didnt help any. From what I have seen the 0101 with 1.03 fw are doing burns pretty much the same as 0202 with 1.03 fw.

KenW writes:

I got a feeling that fw 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 are just “transitions” until they fix the hardware. They seem pretty sure that TLA 02xx fixes the hardware problems and they will release future firmwares (1.04 and so on)

I had a similar impression, hence why the North American Plextor site hasn’t bothered to post Firmware 1.03 yet. - ImBAD

ImBAD

Maybe his autostrategy will learn how to better burn the Fuji’s

Autostrat only looks at disk if its not in fw media list the fuji yuden-T02 is in list so it wont even add it to Autostrat data base.

That’s unfortunate. You would think Autostrategy would continue to improve upon the instructions pre-programmed by the firmware. That would be beneficial, since no two drives can likely perform exactly the same. -ImBAD

Folks, I am quite sure that the AS technology will work on both supported and unsupported media. The firmware contains writing strategies for supported media and will burn with that strategy if AS is ON. If AS is off then the drive will burn with the “default” writing strategy, which I don’t know what is it. After burning around 50 discs with Nero CD Speed create data disk, I’m confindent that the AS should be ON all the time. I’ve seen my burn with AS off that got PIE max around 200, and when I turn it on, the PIE went down to below 100, both burns with PR off. Although one might say “disk variation within a spindle”, but PIE falling from 200 to 80 is not a coincidence, me thinks.

zevia

Autostrat only works if it makes data base entry, to hold new strat, as it does not do this unless the media is not in fw list, I dont see how your logic holds, also plextors own spec sheets on website say autostrat only works on media with no strat in fw.

PS

I am very interested in offical 1.04 fw as well we know that 1c04 is beta with lot of stuff disabled and could be build on older fw, templates.

Interesting, so autostrategy DOES continue to improve upon the instructions pre-programmed by the firmware.

I’d be interested to see what would happen to KenW’s Fuji burn after trying it a few more times with AS on.

Maybe we would see a similar effect?

ImBAD

I believe zevia is wrong in this as I have read plextor spec sheets and white papers and there is no proof of this and as I have reloaded 1.03 and do not want load 1c04 back I dont not see me wasting media to find out.

AUTOSTRATEGYR A technology that determines the standard deviation of any blank disc and automatically optimizes the write strategy for unknown media, enabling high-quality disc recording

taken from plextor website notice the wording “unknown media”

Lol, I understand. 16X media is expensive. Perhaps I will write Plextor Tech support and ask them to give us a definitive answer? The quote you posted above is a little vague. It says it will provide a write strategy for unknown media, but that statement doesn’t exclude the possibility that it works on known media as well.

If Plextor Tech support provides me with a decent response, I’ll post it here.

• ImBAD