PX712 Strange burn

Hi all,

Systemspecs…

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ @ 1.8 ghz (not overclocked)
512 MB DDR
Gforce 5900XT
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
Maxtor 120GB 7200 rpm ATA
PLEXTOR PX712 @ 1.07

I have some really strange problem all of a sudden …
I bought recently a Ritek 50-pack DVD-R…
I checked on this forum the tests on this media and it seemed to be ok. So I saw it had a PIE ranging from 40 to 60. So Quality was rated excellent. I burned a first disc at 8 speed and got a bad burn with a PIE ranging from 100 to 150. When I wrote another @ 4 speed I got a litte coaster… PIE was over 300 :frowning:

So I decided to get rid of those… I did and find some other to write on. Infiniti DVD-R max 4x…
It’s Sony and got as code SONY041D …

First I wrote was good and got a PIE of 20 to 30 but on the end I got a PIE of 100 … But still readable so I tried another at the same speed … Also ok …

But then i needed to recover a HD … But for some reason my HD cable just broke … I replaced it with another making sure I got ATA-66 … I made a burn on the same media and got first a coaster with PIE’s of 1500 :s
So trashed again. I used Nero … But I replaced the cable again, burned again and now I got a write error …

Then I trashed Nero :slight_smile: and used Discjuggler …
Wrote a DVD at 4 and got the result you can see on the pic.

Question now is: is my plextor dying?

I have UDMA 2 enabled and a few days ago it worked perfectly… I will do the Plextor self test and will tell the result when I got some time …

Bad Burn

My 712 died. it only took 14 months. I now have a $160 door stop. Talk about being mad. They usually die slowly. Least mine did. :frowning:

self test is good, mine failed real bad but I really liked my 712. If yours was like mine you will have to continue to slow the burn process down until finally it wont work anymore. But still burns CD’s like a bandit. If I could get it fixed without it costing more then the drive did I would love to put it back in one of the bays.

ps in the hundreds of systems that have passed before me I never once needed to replace an ide cable unless it was a 40 needing an 80

Don’t forget you’ll have to do the self-test with recommended media (TY/Verb). I’ve had great luck with SONY08D1 and RITEK R03 002, but because of quality variations with batches it shouldn’t be used on the self-test.

I read that in the manual but don’t forget it worked perfect on this drive and don’t forget even if the media is not recommended doens’t mean the self test isn’t a good way to test your drive if it’s faulty.
Besides it despends on which fault you got …

I got 2 green blinks meaning inizialization error…
It should not have anything to do with the media but it can. But normally i have a 2-year warranty and i will just return my drive where i bought it and i will get a new one :slight_smile: Or i do hope so… I already contacted them but it will take until monday when i have an answer.

So close this topic… Probably drive is dying …

Thankx all for replying. And still i do believe plextor has great drives and i just hope i can replace this plextor with another Px 712 …

Yesterday I went to the store and they will arrange an RMA to Plextor:-) Now let’s hope Plextor got it fixed … I still had a year warrenty to go so it costs nothing. Now let’s hope Plextor puts a PX-716 instead :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll keep you posted when I have my drive back …

I tried RMA my 712A many times and they didn’t give me a 716A. :stuck_out_tongue:

You might get a brand new Made-in-Japan 712A though.