Px708a is there firmware out for dual layer burning

vbimport

is there firmware for this dual layer burning doesn’t matter where it comes from but is it legit??? thanxs

The drive can’t burn DL media, new firmware or not.

thanxs alot man i jus thougtht they would design it so it can be upgraded i baught the drive for $250 like shit it’s the most exspensive burner and now i have to buy a new burner that sucks ass i thougth plextor could come out with some kind of firmware that would do dual layer. oh well guess i am out of luck.

superjan just buy a nec 2500 and make it into a 2510 dl,or just for $80 buy a 3500.
forget plextor, there all done since the cd-rw days

I also bought a 708A less than a year ago. I was running into a lot of problems with bad burns related to using less expensive media. I decided to buy a new Pioneer 108D (got it for 130 Canadian) and not only is it faster, support DL, but it also works a lot better with cheaper media.

I’m planning on putting the Plexy into an external firewire case so that at least I can use it with my laptop.

This is not 100% true. Yes the drive CURRENTLY can’t burn DL media but who knows it will, if Plextor wanted to.

For example (I quoted from other thread), NEC 2500 originally cannot burn DVD+R DL but it can be modded to 2510 by a hacked firmware so it will burn DL media.

For example (I quoted from other thread), NEC 2500 originally cannot burn DVD+R DL but it can be modded to 2510 by a hacked firmware so it will burn DL media.

Why would Plextor make 708A DUAL LAYER CAPABLE? Don’t you think if they wanted to have that function they would have made the 712A DUAL LAYER. Currently the only people that have made firmware hacks for Plextor drives is THE DANGEROUS BROTHERS, the hack is only for the drive to REGION FREE. I’m not sure if the hack can also allow the drive to read at a faster speed. NEC drives you have HERRIE doing all the firmware hacks which is why the 2500 can be hacked to become DL.

The answer is: I don’t know and I don’t care because I don’t own 708 LOL :bigsmile:

Don’t you think if they wanted to have that function they would have made the 712A DUAL LAYER.

Of course yes since I own 712A LOL.

Anyway, I was pointing at Bob11879’s statement and argued that a firmware (hacked or not) can change a drive to be able to burn DL media.

Anyway, I was pointing at Bob11879’s statement and argued that a firmware (hacked or not) can change a drive to be able to burn DL media.

:stuck_out_tongue: You’re talking bubbles man! If anyone wanted to create a hacked firmware don’t you think someone would have done so by now!!! Plextor hopefully will have DL capabilities with their next DVD BURNER.

So you agree that a firmware can change a drive to be able to burn DL media??!!

So you agree that a firmware can change a drive to be able to burn DL media??!!

When did I ever indicate or hint or disagree that drives can become DL with a firmware change. Only thing I have said is that Plextor dvd burners will NOT have DL capability. Think about it if Plextor wanted to have a firmware for DL capability they would have come out with one by now. Some of the older models from NEC & LITEON drives can become DL capable only because of a firmware hack. The new burners from those 2 companies along with Pioneer have the DL capability directly from the manufacturer not by a hacked firmware. As I’ve said I would hope with the next dvd burner that Plextor releases it will have DUAL LAYER capabilities. Waits impatiently! :bigsmile:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PLEXTOR 40X12X40 CDRW
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
LITEON 411S@811S DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
TOSHIBA 1612 (2) DVD-ROM
TOSHIBA 1712 DVD-ROM

Hmm some1 explain me please their buisness logic behind not releasing DL writer! how can they expect ppl to keep buying Plextor writers, while they lack such an important feature?
Also, what is the reasoning behind not making firmware for DL capability on older models? it would make ppl trust the company’s products to be up to date even after purchase…
So I cant understand them :confused:
Are they trying to kill themself? :frowning:

I couldn’t agree more. :iagree: You just describe the number one reason why I tell customers and friends not to buy plextor!!! :smiley: I used to own one till I came to the same conclusion :a and now I say never again!!!

Hmm some1 explain me please their buisness logic behind not releasing DL writer! how can they expect ppl to keep buying Plextor writers, while they lack such an important feature?

DL is not just a firmware update…it has to do with hardware too…the 708A drive is a older one which was released over a year ago…new computer components are released like every 4-6 months that’s just the way it is…in my opinion I would rather get a dvd burner that has DL layer capability rather than one that would need a firmware upgrade. Other brands of dvd burners like NEC 2500 has capability of DL via a 3rd party firmware or hack. It’s not a official firmware from NEC that enables it to become DL but a firmware hack.

If you want DL then purchase a 712 Plextor or a 716, a Pioneer 108 or a Benq 1620! :wink:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARD

Wasn’t aware that the PX-712A could burn DL disks…
Are you sure about this ?

Wasn’t aware that the PX-712A could burn DL disks…
Are you sure about this ?

Oops my bad… :o I had too much spiked eggnog @ christmas!!! :bigsmile:
Omit my last post about getting a 712 drive cuz it’s not a DL drive.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2) 1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C. 800 FSB, PENT 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’S P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC32OO DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC27OO
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB SATA RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2) 250GB HARD DRIVES
MAXTOR 200GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2) 120GB HARD DRIVES
MAXTOR 60GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA-133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

I think it can be done. It’s just a question of who will do it.

Hopefully… I still dont understand how comes the 712 and 716 arent DL supported either… where is the buisness logic? :confused:

What do you mean? :confused: The 716 is a DL drive…

From Plextor’s website:

PX-716A Benefits

* Writing DVD+R: 16x
*           DVD-R: 16x

* DL DVD+R: 4X
* CD-R: 48x

hm right :slight_smile: my bad… but still, when they did the 712, there already were drives which could DL… so why they didn’t do it DL? they released the 716 much later after all others…