PX-W4824TA/SW isn't recognized as a burner

I just got the new PX-W4824TA/SW burner today. Removed my existing PX-W2410TA/SW, installed the new drive, but am instantly frustrated with it.

You can read from it no problem.

I can burn to it with Clone CD. I can also burn to it using the built-in Windows XP burning feature.

Nero, CDR Win, and EZ CD Creator will not recognize it as a burner. In Windows Explorer it is identified as “CD Drive”. My other CD burner (Lite-On) shows up as “CD-RW Drive”.

I uninstalled the Roxio, Blind Write, and CDR Win ASPI layers. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drive. The drive is still identified in Windows Explorer as just “CD Drive”.

Note: The Plextor 24X burner worked fine.

Pretty bizarro.

Does anyone else have one of these drives yet? Is it working for them?

I have an MSI K7D Master-L motherboard. The drive is connected to IDE2.

Guess what, I just updated my Nero 5.5.9.0 to 5.5.9.9 and now it can recognize my drive. I just successfully burnt a CD with it. Its pretty fast.

Roxio EZ CD Creator 5.1.0.104 still doesn’t see it though.

I uninstalled CDRWin to remove its ASPI driver so I don’t know about that one. Maybe if I install the latest version (not sure if it was), it’ll work.

(Maybe you have to reinstall these apps, after the drive is installed for them to recognize it?)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alchymie
[B]I just got the new PX-W4824TA/SW burner today. Removed my existing PX-W2410TA/SW, installed the new drive, but am

Where did you get it?:confused: I want one:bigsmile:

I ordered it yesterday morning and got it at lunch time today.

link

I got mine yesterday. I also replaced a Plex 24/10 with the 48/24 in an XP Pro system. It works fine for me. Try deleting the Plex in Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and re-booting. The only software I’ve found that can run the drive at even close to 48X is PlexTools 1.15. The supplied EZCD sw works, but at 15X and Nero runs the drive at it’s slowest speed, 4X. We’ll h have to wait until the sw guys catch up. Padus DiscJuggler says it supports the drive, but if I buy one more burning app my wife will put me out in the street.

Originally posted by alchymie
[B]I just got the new PX-W4824TA/SW burner today. Removed my existing PX-W2410TA/SW, installed the new drive, but am instantly frustrated with it.

You can read from it no problem.

I can burn to it with Clone CD. I can also burn to it using the built-in Windows XP burning feature.

Nero, CDR Win, and EZ CD Creator will not recognize it as a burner. In Windows Explorer it is identified as “CD Drive”. My other CD burner (Lite-On) shows up as “CD-RW Drive”.

I uninstalled the Roxio, Blind Write, and CDR Win ASPI layers. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drive. The drive is still identified in Windows Explorer as just “CD Drive”.

Note: The Plextor 24X burner worked fine.

Pretty bizarro.

Does anyone else have one of these drives yet? Is it working for them?

I have an MSI K7D Master-L motherboard. The drive is connected to IDE2. [/B]

So far my experience with it sux. It doesn’t seem to burn faster than 16-24X. Has anyone gotten it to burn faster?

I’ve gotten the following apps to work with it:

Nero
CloneCD
SimpliCD (came with burner)
Fireburner
BlindWrite

The following apps don’t recognize it as a burner:

CDRWin
Roxio EZ CD Creator

The following app crashes:

Padus Disc Juggler

I’m not sure what the deal is. I also have a Lite-On 40/12/48 that burns fast. So I’m pretty sure my computer is okay. That leaves the new Plex as being a turtle.

What’s the deal with the Plex Tools? I thought I saw some warning not to install it in Windows XP (which I’m running). Oh, oh I guess that’s Plextor Manager 2000 that’s not compatible.

Where did you get the Plex Tools program?

I just looked on the CD that came with the drive and I can’t find Plex Tools on it.

Originally posted by alchymie
[B]Where did you get the Plex Tools program?

I just looked on the CD that came with the drive and I can’t find Plex Tools on it. [/B]

Plex Tools dont come with the USA ones.:frowning: You might get a kind soul to email you it. All I can say about Plex USA is WTF, Why give us software if it will not run on XP?

If you search around, you’ll find a full install of an earlier version of Plextools, say 1.03. Then download the most recent (for the Plex 48/24) v.1.15 from Plextor Europe which is upgrade only. I tried being forthright and asking Plex Europe for a copy but they referred me to Plex North America who said no. It’s a copyright issue undoubtedly resulting from the DMCA passed by our corrupt and retarded congress. Bad combo.

Originally posted by alchymie
[B]Where did you get the Plex Tools program?

I just looked on the CD that came with the drive and I can’t find Plex Tools on it. [/B]

The version of ECD that came with the burner should work. Mine does. Are you using a previously installed version?

Originally posted by alchymie
[B]So far my experience with it sux. It doesn’t seem to burn faster than 16-24X. Has anyone gotten it to burn faster?

I’ve gotten the following apps to work with it:

Nero
CloneCD
SimpliCD (came with burner)
Fireburner
BlindWrite

The following apps don’t recognize it as a burner:

CDRWin
Roxio EZ CD Creator

The following app crashes:

Padus Disc Juggler

I’m not sure what the deal is. I also have a Lite-On 40/12/48 that burns fast. So I’m pretty sure my computer is okay. That leaves the new Plex as being a turtle.

What’s the deal with the Plex Tools? I thought I saw some warning not to install it in Windows XP (which I’m running). Oh, oh I guess that’s Plextor Manager 2000 that’s not compatible. [/B]

Originally posted by alchymie
[B]Where did you get the Plex Tools program?

I just looked on the CD that came with the drive and I can’t find Plex Tools on it. [/B]

Try this one, dont know if it works found it on the www.
http://home.no.net/icexcool/Plextools.zip then run update…from Plextor. http://www.plextor.be/English/technical/downld_util.html

Hah, I figured out how to make the burner go faster. Turn off PowerRec.

I’m using 40X CD-Rs (Memorex and Philips). Maybe the firmware (1.0) doesn’t know what to do with the new higher speed media.

Heh, good point about Roxio EZ CD. I’m using the version that was already on my computer. Didn’t try the one that was on the CD.

Thanks for the PlexTools link. I tried it out, but its not really for creating data CDs.

Besides I figured out what was slowing things down. Apparently PowerRec doesn’t like my media.

Alchymie:

The Plextor firmware has been programmed for the high end media ie… Mitsui, Verbatim/Mitsubishi Chemical, Kodak, Hitachi-Maxell, Ricoh, Taiyo Yuden.

After all, the Plextor name stands for quality, For Example, I have some Verbatim DataLifePlus Premium 16x CDR. I am able to record at 32x and 40x with no errors, also with powerRec on. :bigsmile:
You couldn’t do this with CMC media.

I have no problems reaching 48x so far with the Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media that is out at this time.

With low quality media you can disable PowerRec and burn at the faster speed. which gives you more possible combinations. Of course with powerRec off you increase the chance of more errors.

If you look on page 33 of your manual you will see some of the combinations. :wink:

Did you ever get the drive working at its full speed with Roxio? I’m wondering if I should hold off on installing the Platinum version until after they release drivers. Or will the drivers that come with the Basic version persist after the upgrade to Platinum?

Originally posted by alchymie
[B]Heh, good point about Roxio EZ CD. I’m using the version that was already on my computer. Didn’t try the one that was on the CD.

Thanks for the PlexTools link. I tried it out, but its not really for creating data CDs.

Besides I figured out what was slowing things down. Apparently PowerRec doesn’t like my media. [/B]

why do you even want to use Roxio? Dump it. Nero does everything + more & is far superior.

I use Nero too, but prefer DirectCD to InCD which I could never get to work on any of my systems. I also like some of the Roxio tools.

Originally posted by paazel
why do you even want to use Roxio? Dump it. Nero does everything + more & is far superior.

No, I haven’t gotten Roxio Platinum to recognize the drive yet. I haven’t tried too hard since Nero is working.

The Philips is CMC. The Memorex is Ritek. Both are rated for 40X according to the label.

With Power Rec on they won’t burn fast at all.

I’ve got some 48X Memorex media that won’t burn faster than 37X with PowerRec on.

Originally posted by alchymie
[B]No, I haven’t gotten Roxio Platinum to recognize the drive yet. I haven’t tried too hard since Nero is working.

The Philips is CMC. The Memorex is Ritek. Both are rated for 40X according to the label.

With Power Rec on they won’t burn fast at all. [/B]

rmunde

who is the manufacture of the memorex and have you tried it without PoweRec on?